Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where would you prefer to live?
Alabama 43 39.81%
Indiana 65 60.19%
Voters: 108. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2021, 10:37 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,206,613 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surge0001 View Post
Again the Eastern Store and rest of Baldwin County beats out

St John grew by 5,453

Fairhope: 7,151
Daphne: 5,892
Foley: 5,737
Gulf Shores: 5,273
Spanish Fort: 3,251

Also gonna point that Baldwin County grew 4-5x as much as all of NWI
You didn’t post the Daphne numbers before. I could cite somewhere like Crown Point, IN which grew by over 6,000. But like I said, NWI is heavily divided between a rust belt northern section which has been in decline for decades and a fairly robustly growing southern area, so overall county level growth statistics aren’t going to tell the whole story.

And really, the best apples to apples comparison, in terms of fastest growing counties in the state (Baldwin County for AL) would be Hamilton County which grew at just about the same rate but has 100k more people so it added way more in terms of raw numbers.

Old 09-11-2021, 11:10 PM

1,378 posts, read 1,217,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
You didn’t post the Daphne numbers before. I could cite somewhere like Crown Point, IN which grew by over 6,000. But like I said, NWI is heavily divided between a rust belt northern section which has been in decline for decades and a fairly robustly growing southern area, so overall county level growth statistics aren’t going to tell the whole story.

And really, the best apples to apples comparison, in terms of fastest growing counties in the state (Baldwin County for AL) would be Hamilton County which grew at just about the same rate but has 100k more people so it added way more in terms of raw numbers.

Hamilton's growth is impressive, although it does have 2 mill person metro to aide its growth, while Baldwin County's growth is coming from Mobile (greater Mobile area is only 650k) and some retirees/tourism

Old 09-12-2021, 05:42 AM

1,727 posts, read 2,006,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
What I notice about Indiana, they seem to embrace mediocrity. Everything is about average in Indiana. Hoosiers do like to think of their selves as "typical" Americans. In so many different categories that compare states, you can usually count on Indiana to rank middle of the pack somewhere between 23rd and 38th place. When I lived in Indiana, seems like there was as much resentment towards the upper income folks as there was towards the government assisted poor folks. If Indiana was a high school student, it would have "C" average. Most people didn't move to Indiana for the climate or it's breathtaking landscapes. They moved there for a job because it use to be a state where a person didn't need much more than 8th grade education to make enough money to support a family on one income. It's still one of the cheapest states but most working class people need 2 incomes to get by.
Wow, sounds like your friends or whoever you knew from Indiana was pretty depressing. I think the low COL is great. We utilize it for a better quality of life.

Old 09-12-2021, 04:22 PM

4,503 posts, read 4,612,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kluch View Post
Wow, sounds like your friends or whoever you knew from Indiana was pretty depressing. I think the low COL is great. We utilize it for a better quality of life.
I didn't state anything but the truth. What part do you not agree with?

I think the low cost of living in Indiana is one of the best things about Indiana. You get what you pay for, and for what Indiana offers, Indiana's a good deal.

Old 09-12-2021, 05:36 PM

1,727 posts, read 2,006,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
I didn't state anything but the truth. What part do you not agree with?

I think the low cost of living in Indiana is one of the best things about Indiana. You get what you pay for, and for what Indiana offers, Indiana's a good deal.
You just made a lot of generalizations and called it "the truth". Indiana is a big state with lots of different types of people. They aren't all "average" and fine with nothing more. Sure the COL is great but I think that Indiana has a lot to offer. You have the dunes you have brown county, plus easy access to Chicago. I guess I don't see Indiana as all that different than Illinois or Ohio. Illinois you really just have Chicago, which is it's biggest selling point. Ohio has Columbus, Cleveland and Cincinnati but really is similar in climate and overall personality (being that I'm an Ohio native who grew up near Columbus).

Old 09-12-2021, 05:56 PM

4,503 posts, read 4,612,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kluch View Post
You just made a lot of generalizations and called it "the truth". Indiana is a big state with lots of different types of people. They aren't all "average" and fine with nothing more. Sure the COL is great but I think that Indiana has a lot to offer. You have the dunes you have brown county, plus easy access to Chicago. I guess I don't see Indiana as all that different than Illinois or Ohio. Illinois you really just have Chicago, which is it's biggest selling point. Ohio has Columbus, Cleveland and Cincinnati but really is similar in climate and overall personality (being that I'm an Ohio native who grew up near Columbus).
Indiana is an average state in many many categories. It doesn't really stand out above and beyond the rest and at the same time it's not a bottom of the barrel cellar dweller either, like some states are. It's pretty much in the middle. Hoosiers seem to be pretty proud of that too. Muncie's most famous nickname is Middletown USA and I know the folks in Muncie pride their selves on that image.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City