Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where would you prefer to live?
Alabama 43 39.81%
Indiana 65 60.19%
Voters: 108. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2021, 11:12 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,284,870 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
Nothing wrong with a long summer. It sure beats a long, grey winter at any rate.

As for it being hotter, muggier, and buggier...No, it's not really. If it is, it's only marginally.

I mean come on dude, I was just in Indiana less than 2 months ago. It was hot and very muggy. So hot my wife wanted to quit halfway through our walking tour of Notre Dame. Even my boys who are huge football fans were complaining about the heat.
It isn't a question of whether or not it gets hot in Indiana. It's a question of how long it stays hot. You already mentioned you prefer the longer hotter summer, and that's fine. It isn't marginally hotter in Alabama, either. If you compare Indy and Birmingham, Birmingham averages 50 days per year where the temp is at or above 90 degrees compared to 11 in Indy. That's a pretty sizeable gap.

Old 09-02-2021, 11:23 AM

255 posts, read 159,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
I've already conceded that we don't have a Notre Dame.

A degree from Auburn or Alabama carries just as much weight as a degree from IU or Purdue. Don't kid yourself, and I didn't even go to school in Alabama so I'm not biased. They're all big, public research universities.
I can't find a more recent up to date list than 2017, but if you're selling Alabama and Auburn on being a big research university, then Purdue would absolutely destroy in Alabama and Auburn in that field. In fact in terms of R&D expenditures, Alabama is fourth in state and 179 in the country, Auburn is third in state and 115 nationally. Purdue is 37 nationally.

https://ncsesdata.nsf.gov/profiles/s...Source&ds=herd

Old 09-02-2021, 11:51 AM

1,378 posts, read 1,217,840 times
Meh, activity in both Auburn and Alabama is a lot higher than Purdue or really any university in Indiana I’m willing to bet, from the frats and sororities to the clubs to the football games, millions and millions tune in to Alabama and Auburn Football every Saturday during the season, willing to bet that’s not the case for anywhere in Indiana

Old 09-02-2021, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surge0001 View Post
Meh, activity in both Auburn and Alabama is a lot higher than Purdue or really any university in Indiana I’m willing to bet, from the frats and sororities to the clubs to the football games, millions and millions tune in to Alabama and Auburn Football every Saturday during the season, willing to bet that’s not the case for anywhere in Indiana
But that's not what either poster was talking about. Athletics isn't the same as academics. Even then, you're still wrong, millions tune in to see Notre Dame.

Old 09-02-2021, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartonro View Post
I can't find a more recent up to date list than 2017, but if you're selling Alabama and Auburn on being a big research university, then Purdue would absolutely destroy in Alabama and Auburn in that field. In fact in terms of R&D expenditures, Alabama is fourth in state and 179 in the country, Auburn is third in state and 115 nationally. Purdue is 37 nationally.

https://ncsesdata.nsf.gov/profiles/s...Source&ds=herd
The University of Alabama @ Birmingham is ranked 41, just a little below Purdue but well within the caliber

Old 09-02-2021, 12:27 PM

1,727 posts, read 2,006,772 times
My vote goes to Indiana but I'm biased since we live south of Indy and I've spent most of my life somewhere in the midwest. That said I think Alabama is a pretty nice state all things considered (probably gets as much hate as Indiana does on these forums). I have family in Alabama and would visit frequently growing up. I do however prefer Indiana's 4 seasons compared to the (longer) summer heat you'd get living in Alabama. Having lived in Nashville for 6 years my wife and I agreed that fall in the south doesn't do justice to fall in the midwest (and that's my favorite season so its hard for me to love living "down south"). Indiana seems to be less affected by natural disasters however (tornados and hurricanes) and we don't have to deal with quite as many bugs year round (I hated that growing up when we visited my grandparents down south). I don't know a whole lot about Birmingham anymore but for as much hate as Indy gets I think it's a pretty good midsized midwest city. It's growing and gentrifying and has a lot to offer (especially for a family).

Old 09-02-2021, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartonro View Post
But that's not what either poster was talking about. Athletics isn't the same as academics. Even then, you're still wrong, millions tune in to see Notre Dame.
So apparently a mod deleted my actual message thinking I was trolling by saying Notre Done instead of Notre Dame which was rather A misspelling on my part (rather funny but unintentional) anyways I was expanding the university conversation

Old 09-02-2021, 12:36 PM

5,016 posts, read 3,916,343 times
I'd struggle with that Alabama heat. And I'd probably choose to live Carmel over the field to raise a family. So I went with Indiana.

But, I'm surprised Indiana is leading this poll. I do think Alabama is the far better rounded State.

Old 09-02-2021, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surge0001 View Post
The University of Alabama @ Birmingham is ranked 41, just a little below Purdue but well within the caliber
Once again, that wasn't what the original posters were debating. I agree that UAB would be in Purdue's class for R&D, but Alabama and Auburn are not.

Old 09-02-2021, 12:43 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,566,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post
I'd struggle with that Alabama heat. And I'd probably choose to live Carmel over the field to raise a family. So I went with Indiana.

But, I'm surprised Indiana is leading this poll. I do think Alabama is the far better rounded State.
Alabama has massive rural poverty issues, Indiana has no large-scale poverty of remotely the same scope in its rural areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City