Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where would you prefer to live?
Alabama 43 39.81%
Indiana 65 60.19%
Voters: 108. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2021, 12:44 PM

13,624 posts, read 7,942,318 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
A degree from Auburn or Alabama carries just as much weight as a degree from IU or Purdue. Don't kid yourself, and I didn't even go to school in Alabama so I'm not biased. They're all big, public research universities.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bartonro View Post
I can't find a more recent up to date list than 2017, but if you're selling Alabama and Auburn on being a big research university, then Purdue would absolutely destroy in Alabama and Auburn in that field. In fact in terms of R&D expenditures, Alabama is fourth in state and 179 in the country, Auburn is third in state and 115 nationally. Purdue is 37 nationally.

https://ncsesdata.nsf.gov/profiles/s...Source&ds=herd
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surge0001 View Post
Meh, activity in both Auburn and Alabama is a lot higher than Purdue or really any university in Indiana I’m willing to bet, from the frats and sororities to the clubs to the football games, millions and millions tune in to Alabama and Auburn Football every Saturday during the season, willing to bet that’s not the case for anywhere in Indiana
Quote:
But that's not what either poster was talking about. Athletics isn't the same as academics.
Let me illustrate the point I was trying to make in my post quoted above with a little scenario:

Student A spends 4 years at Auburn or Alabama, does his best, and takes advantage of every opportunity offered him

Student B spends 4 years at Purdue or Indiana, does his best, and takes advantage of every opportunity offered him

Which student has the built-in advantage or more built-in opportunity for success? I submit that the opportunities for success between Student A and Student B are equal, and there are no built-in advantages from choosing an Indiana school over an Alabama one, or vice versa.

Old 09-02-2021, 12:48 PM

1,378 posts, read 1,220,359 times
Quote:
Once again, that wasn't what the original posters were debating. I agree that UAB would be in Purdue's class for R&D, but Alabama and Auburn are not.
I think you and I are on 2 separate pages? what specifically are you talking about?

Old 09-02-2021, 12:57 PM

8,980 posts, read 17,294,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
Let me illustrate the point I was trying to make in my post quoted above with a little scenario:

Student A spends 4 years at Auburn or Alabama, does his best, and takes advantage of every opportunity offered him

Student B spends 4 years at Purdue or Indiana, does his best, and takes advantage of every opportunity offered him

Which student has the built-in advantage or more built-in opportunity for success? I submit that the opportunities for success between Student A and Student B are equal, and there are no built-in advantages from choosing an Indiana school over an Alabama one, or vice versa.
It probably depends a bit on the degree and the field. Purdue has a well known engineering program. A Purdue engineering degree does carry some weight in that field. A Purdue business degree is probably comparable to most large universities. I went to a so-called "directional" school, and in my experience where you went to college doesn't matter aside from a few specific programs and fields.

Old 09-02-2021, 12:58 PM

257 posts, read 160,474 times
Quote:
I think you and I are on 2 separate pages? what specifically are you talking about?
One post mentioned Alabama and Auburn as being big research universities that are on par with Purdue. I mentioned that based on R&D expenditures, that isn't the case. You mentioned that Alabama and Auburn have great football programs and more people view them then Notre Dame (A post that was deleted). I mention that wasn't what the original post was about but even then the more views part wasn't accurate. You then brought in UAB, I then responded with that it is on par with Purdue in R&D, but Alabama and Auburn are not.

Last edited by bartonro; 09-02-2021 at 01:21 PM..

Old 09-02-2021, 01:01 PM

257 posts, read 160,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
It probably depends a bit on the degree and the field. Purdue has a well known engineering program. A Purdue engineering degree does carry some weight in that field. A Purdue business degree is probably comparable to most large universities. I went to a so-called "directional" school, and in my experience where you went to college doesn't matter aside from a few specific programs and fields.
This exactly. Purdue has great programs. I'm sure Alabama/Auburn have some as well. To most that attend either school, you get what you put into it. But on paper, Purdue has the advantage in academics. Not everything is decided on paper though.

Old 09-02-2021, 01:15 PM

5,003 posts, read 9,162,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manitopiaaa View Post
Alabama and Indiana aren't often considered as peers, but both have strong similarities:
  • Both states are considered somewhat boring
  • Both have primate cities that are often the butt of jokes (Naptown/Bombingham)
  • Both have small coastlines (Indiana Dunes/Baldwin County) with legacy industrial port cities (Gary/Mobile)
  • Both have small wooded areas (Hoosier National Forest/Appalachian Alabama) but are otherwise largely flat
  • Both are known for their conservatism
  • Both have moderate and predictable population growth
  • Both have Rust Belts (South Chicago to South Bend vs. Birmingham/Steel Corridor) that still struggle
  • Both were granted statehood within 3 years of each other
  • Both have racing cultures (Indy 500 vs. Talladega)
  • Both market themselves as low cost-of-living/family friendly states
  • Both have famous sports-oriented universities (Purdue/Indiana/Notre Dame vs. Bama/Auburn/Troy)
  • Both lie on the same latitude, with Indiana directly north of Alabama (a straight shot on I-65)
  • Both have extremely upscale, wealthy suburbs (Vestavia Hills/Hoover vs. Fishers/Carmel)
Where would you live?

Refering Birmingham as Bombingham alone shows ignorance and outdated stereotypes.

But anyways it's Alabama the beautiful for me.Better :food, culture , topography, climate, and mix of cities.

Last edited by PortCity; 09-02-2021 at 01:28 PM..

Old 09-02-2021, 02:14 PM

1,378 posts, read 1,220,359 times
Quote:
One post mentioned Alabama and Auburn as being big research universities that are on par with Purdue. I mentioned that based on R&D expenditures, that isn't the case. You mentioned that Alabama and Auburn have great football programs and more people view them then Notre Dame (A post that was deleted). I mention that wasn't what the original post was about but even then the more views part wasn't accurate. You then brought in UAB, I then responded with that it is on par with Purdue in R&D, but Alabama and Auburn are not.

Alright excellent, I see what you mean, yes you are right, Notre Dame does get more views than I had anticipated. Very respectable numbers, But I still think Alabama and Auburn has a much higher average views per game, unfortunately couldn't find an average per game viewershipper source, so I have no way of confirming nor denying my claims

Old 09-03-2021, 12:33 AM

3,454 posts, read 3,378,593 times
Quote:
Alright excellent, I see what you mean, yes you are right, Notre Dame does get more views than I had anticipated. Very respectable numbers, But I still think Alabama and Auburn has a much higher average views per game, unfortunately couldn't find an average per game viewershipper source, so I have no way of confirming nor denying my claims
I think UAB sometimes has had good college basketball programs? For Indiana, Butler sometimes has good college hoops teams as well. And one year, I remember Butler surprised everyone and made it into the Final Four.

I'm not sure if Alabama has any well known private colleges, that are similar to Butler. Though wouldn't be surprised, if for college football ratings Alabama vs. Auburn does better than any say Indiana University, Purdue, or Notre Dame game. Though I'm sure Notre Dame football game TV ratings, still can be decent at times.

Old 09-03-2021, 08:52 AM

118 posts, read 96,351 times
School graduates?

Not comparable in the HR exec's mind. It's like comparing a Miles College Graduate to a Rhodes College graduate - it's about who you know in their futures

Old 09-03-2021, 10:53 AM

5,003 posts, read 9,162,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonySegaTendo617 View Post
I think UAB sometimes has had good college basketball programs? For Indiana, Butler sometimes has good college hoops teams as well. And one year, I remember Butler surprised everyone and made it into the Final Four.

I'm not sure if Alabama has any well known private colleges, that are similar to Butler. Though wouldn't be surprised, if for college football ratings Alabama vs. Auburn does better than any say Indiana University, Purdue, or Notre Dame game. Though I'm sure Notre Dame football game TV ratings, still can be decent at times.

Butler maybe known more so regionally.Just as Springhill College which is Alabama's first University and the oldest Jusuit College in the South ,and 3rd oldest in the county. You also have the Cumberland School of law.

Side Bar : Cuba's base ball history and roots can be traced back to Alabama through Springhill College. Actually the Alabama Cuban connection along adds to its culture.

Last edited by PortCity; 09-03-2021 at 11:08 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City