Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where would you prefer to live?
Alabama 43 39.81%
Indiana 65 60.19%
Voters: 108. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2021, 04:20 PM

12,968 posts, read 9,650,170 times

Advertisements

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1tfzJx9YgM

One of these states at question made this list.

Old 09-04-2021, 04:50 PM

1,378 posts, read 1,217,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaper View Post
I agree, and I'll take any of those nice areas of metro Chicago. You would at least have close proximity the 3rd largest metro in the US, and all the advantages it have to offer. Yeah it gets cold there, but the oppressive humidity, tornado and hurricane threat in Alabama is just as bad weather wise.

Can't help but notice people talk a lot of about hurricanes, hurricanes are not as big of an issue as is made out to be. As long as you don't live in a flood zone or anywhere below 25ft above sea level, you only have to deal with the wind, which 95% of the time its gonna be winds like you find in Cold Fronts, Hurricanes RARELY ever reached cat 3 or more upon landfall. Anywhere lower, you are gonna find winds that you can encounter anywhere up North in places like Indiana. Derechos, I know, are fairly common up north and its not uncommon for derechos to create the same damage that hurricanes produce. I've gone through Katrina, Ivan, Gordon, and an untold number of tropical storms, and to this day the strongest winds I have ever encountered were straight lines winds from a cold front last year.

Old 09-04-2021, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaper View Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1tfzJx9YgM

One of these states at question made this list.

Yes I've watched him, he's incredibly biased against everyone in the South

Old 09-04-2021, 06:51 PM

6,476 posts, read 6,445,360 times
Indiana.

- Indianapolis is a very surprising city that made a great impression on me, and I'd take that over anywhere in Alabama. I know Huntsville is nice but I've never been to be able to speak on it. And at that point I'd rather have Greenville, SC or Knoxville, TN.

- would rather have Chicago closeby for getaway trips than Atlanta. I will admit having New Orleans beats having Cincy, though Cincy also took me by surprise.

- Both are conservative, but Indiana seems less extreme. Surprisingly the education levels are basically the same. 4 year degrees 25.5% Bama, 26.5% Indy.

- Indiana is colder, which is a negative, but Alabama has more natural disasters. Tornaodes and hurricanes I have to both worry about. And it still can get cold in Alabama anyways, though Indiana is greyer.

- Bama gets the edge with the (short but still existent gulf coastline) and I presume mountain hiking.

I'm a native southerner, but Indiana gets the edge.

Old 09-04-2021, 10:34 PM

4,159 posts, read 2,846,281 times
Somewhere off Interstate 20 in Alabama so I’m like a 45 minute drive from Atlanta.

Old 09-06-2021, 08:58 AM

3,444 posts, read 3,372,483 times
It was great to read those 2 articles, and that one video. Cool to hear those who played baseball at Spring Hill went on to travel to Cuba, and introduce baseball there! Thanks for sharing those links.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surge0001 View Post
Yes I've watched him, he's incredibly biased against everyone in the South
Unfortunately you're right, that some Youtubers do have an anti-South bias. Which is unfortunate, since I have no doubt some areas in the states mentioned on that video (i.e. Northwest Arkansas including Fayetteville, Louisville for Kentucky, and Huntsville for Alabama, these are ONLY a few examples of various ones) are way better than they get credit for.

Last edited by SonySegaTendo617; 09-06-2021 at 09:10 AM..

Old 09-06-2021, 02:52 PM

5,002 posts, read 9,151,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonySegaTendo617 View Post
It was great to read those 2 articles, and that one video. Cool to hear those who played baseball at Spring Hill went on to travel to Cuba, and introduce baseball there! Thanks for sharing those links.

Unfortunately you're right, that some Youtubers do have an anti-South bias. Which is unfortunate, since I have no doubt some areas in the states mentioned on that video (i.e. Northwest Arkansas including Fayetteville, Louisville for Kentucky, and Huntsville for Alabama, these are ONLY a few examples of various ones) are way better than they get credit for.
Glad you enjoyed the info !

Old 09-06-2021, 04:44 PM

10,501 posts, read 7,033,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Alabama has massive rural poverty issues, Indiana has no large-scale poverty of remotely the same scope in its rural areas.

The difference isn't all that stark.

Once you use the Census bureau's 2019 numbers adjusted for cost of living, Alabama has a lower poverty rate than New York, Texas, Hawaii, Nevada, Georgia, North Carolina, South Carolina, and Florida. And it has an adjusted poverty rate roughly 25% less than that of California. Using that same criterion, Indiana's is about 2 basis points below that of Alabama. Again, not exactly a huge difference.

But the other consideration? Roughly 2/3rds of Alabamians live in urban settings, about the same as Indiana's. So, thanks for the narrative that we're all fresh off the set of Hee Haw, but that's not where the state is today.

Old 09-06-2021, 05:21 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,566,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
The difference isn't all that stark.

Once you use the Census bureau's 2019 numbers adjusted for cost of living, Alabama has a lower poverty rate than New York, Texas, Hawaii, Nevada, Georgia, North Carolina, South Carolina, and Florida. And it has an adjusted poverty rate roughly 25% less than that of California. Using that same criterion, Indiana's is about 2 basis points below that of Alabama. Again, not exactly a huge difference.

But the other consideration? Roughly 2/3rds of Alabamians live in urban settings, about the same as Indiana's. So, thanks for the narrative that we're all fresh off the set of Hee Haw, but that's not where the state is today.
The Quickfacts Census Data site shows numerous counties in Alabama with poverty rates over 25% which would be adjusted for cost of living. Indiana has three counties with poverty rates over 20% by comparison, and two are inflated due to a large student population. It is true that most of Alabama lives in metropolitan counties, and the impoverished counties are losing population at a very fast rate due to out-migration.

Old 09-06-2021, 06:11 PM

Well Alabama does have one of the fastest plummeting poverty in the country, falling 3.8% between 2014-2019
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City