Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Austin's downtown is more similar to Charlotte or Nashville?
Charlotte 20 20.83%
Nashville 64 66.67%
Neither, more like another city 12 12.50%
Voters: 96. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2021, 09:51 PM

3,524 posts, read 2,314,811 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by QC Dreaming 2 View Post
And they are not as tall or at all as concentrated as Charlotte's in its core center city area.... Charlotte wins in infrastructure, skyline, transportation, economy, etc... and can go toe to toe and maybe even beat them both when it comes to entertainment and nightlife...I suggest you guys visit on a Saturday night or during one of the multiple sporting events..100 meter buildings don't make u big leagues. My point was that because of Cbarlotte canyon affect with its concentrated skyline and the large amount of activities across multiple areas along with the added element of streetcars and lightrail it just adds a " big city" feel that the other 2 don't have yet...
Austin has 690' and 683' buildings built, has 876' skyscraper U/C and 5 additional +150m U/C...so no, Charlottes buildings are not really any taller than Austin's. I've been to Charlotte and it's core feels no bigger than Austin or Nashville's.

Regarding buildings density Uptown is ~2.14 sq. miles, its skyline is no more compact than Austin's or Nashville's (which is building almost as rapidly as Austin). What Nashville does has over the other two is substantially more pre-existing human scale infill developments which imho makes its downtown more conducive to pedestrian activity despite it being the smallest of the 3.

All that being said, I never said Charlotte was lacking in entertainment and or night-life compared to the other two, so I don't know why you are getting defensive?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2021, 11:03 PM

6,708 posts, read 6,711,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
There was nothing quiet about Uptown Charlotte this past this weekend. Clubs, bars, restaurants, lounges, everything was packed.

I was truly impressed with Charlotte. Hopefully, it will be my new home in the near future.
Would be an upgrade from Baltimore, congrats.

Charlotte was hosting Georgia-Clemson this weekend, but in no way does it ever get like Lower Broadway in Nashville, or 6th Street in Austin.

Old 09-05-2021, 11:49 PM

3,881 posts, read 2,191,746 times
[quote=QC Dreaming 2;61848705]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joakim3 View Post
..Austin has more 100m skyscraper than Charlotte let alone Nashville, lol.

That being said, Austin is more similar to Nashville than Charlotte in terms of architecture, layout and on the ground feel.[/QUOTE

And they are not as tall or at all as concentrated as Charlotte's in its core center city area.... Charlotte wins in infrastructure, skyline, transportation, economy, etc... and can go toe to toe and maybe even beat them both when it comes to entertainment and nightlife...I suggest you guys visit on a Saturday night or during one of the multiple sporting events..100 meter buildings don't make u big leagues. My point was that because of Cbarlotte canyon affect with its concentrated skyline and the large amount of activities across multiple areas along with the added element of streetcars and lightrail it just adds a " big city" feel that the other 2 don't have yet...
I haven't been to Charlotte since 2014 but will be heading back for a meet and greet in about 2 years so it'll be interesting to see how the city looks.

Old 09-06-2021, 02:50 AM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheseGoTo11 View Post
Would be an upgrade from Baltimore, congrats.

Charlotte was hosting Georgia-Clemson this weekend, but in no way does it ever get like Lower Broadway in Nashville, or 6th Street in Austin.
True but saying Charlotte is "much, much quieter in comparison" is still a bit misleading. It's still pretty lively and active in the urban core even if it lacks an exact Lower Broadway or 6th Street counterpart.

Old 09-06-2021, 07:33 AM

718 posts, read 492,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joakim3 View Post
Austin has 690' and 683' buildings built, has 876' skyscraper U/C and 5 additional +150m U/C...so no, Charlottes buildings are not really any taller than Austin's. I've been to Charlotte and it's core feels no bigger than Austin or Nashville's.

Regarding buildings density Uptown is ~2.14 sq. miles, its skyline is no more compact than Austin's or Nashville's (which is building almost as rapidly as Austin). What Nashville does has over the other two is substantially more pre-existing human scale infill developments which imho makes its downtown more conducive to pedestrian activity despite it being the smallest of the 3.

All that being said, I never said Charlotte was lacking in entertainment and or night-life compared to the other two, so I don't know why you are getting defensive?
My guy I have been to both Austin and Nashville and Charlotte's skyline is waaay more compact. Austin's condo skyline is spread out linear with parking lots in between and yes Charlotte s buildings are taller than Austin's...do u realize how many buildings Charlotte has over 400 ft? No I wasn't getting defensive I was responding. We will have to agree to disagree...

Old 09-06-2021, 08:18 AM

7,074 posts, read 12,338,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QC Dreaming 2 View Post
My guy I have been to both Austin and Nashville and Charlotte's skyline is waaay more compact. Austin's condo skyline is spread out linear with parking lots in between and yes Charlotte s buildings are taller than Austin's...do u realize how many buildings Charlotte has over 400 ft? No I wasn't getting defensive I was responding. We will have to agree to disagree...
To be fair, Charlotte and Austin both have 18 buildings at or above 400ft tall and I'm certain that Austin will have 30 of them before Charlotte has 25 (unless of course Charlotte's South End goes vertical in a massive way soon which could happen).

I won't speak much on Austin because I haven't been there in years. In my opinion, Austin will probably be out of Charlotte and Nashville's league in 15-20 years. I will speak on Charlotte and Nashville because my wife is from Nashville and we live in Charlotte (in other words I am extremely familiar with both of those cities).

The issue that haunts Charlotte is the fact that its downtown area is not a major tourist attraction outside of special events. There is a chance to solve this issue with the planned Gateway District and future developments along the LYNX Goldline streetcar. Until something happens, Charlotte's downtown area will continue to be a rather underwhelming area for a city of Charlotte's size. Charlotte is doing the right thing by increasing the residential population of the downtown area. That residential growth is being fueled by luxury apartments with amenities and ground floor retail within the building itself. This is "smart" Urban design that actually reduces the foot traffic downtown. On the other hand, there are those who measure a city by the amount of foot traffic that they can see when they visit. Charlotte might want to look at ways of increasing downtown foot traffic instead of reducing it.

Nashville is probably the opposite of Charlotte in many ways. This is a city that has preserved its older downtown buildings, has a thriving and respected university, and is its own name brand. The downtown area of Nashville has the crowds (on a normal day) that downtown Charlotte has only during special events. I'm not trying to knock on Charlotte here because I truly believe that it's one of the more underrated cities on sites such as City-Data. Austin and Nashville are a bit overrated on this site. However, I will concede to the fact that the average casual visitor will probably enjoy their walk through downtown Austin and Nashville over their experience with downtown Charlotte (unless of course downtown Charlotte has a special event going on). Below are a couple of photos from my personal records of downtown Charlotte and downtown Nashville.

Charlotte

Nashville

Old 09-06-2021, 12:18 PM

3,881 posts, read 2,191,746 times
^Nice photos!

Old 09-06-2021, 01:44 PM

198 posts, read 261,683 times
It’s been a long time since I’ve been to Austin or Nashville so I do not know how Charlotte’s core compares to those state capitals. Approximately five blocks separates Charlotte uptown from south end which covers a large area containing and exceptionally amount of apartments and is very active and walkable. As a native I do not view south end as being part of Charlottes core.
Charlotte natives define its core as uptown but I have witness more than one visitor to Charlotte include South End as part of the core and refer to uptown as the “Financial district” of Uptown.

Old 09-06-2021, 02:06 PM

4,435 posts, read 6,296,352 times
Definitely Nashville on street level. Charlotte isn’t as active if a city.

Old 09-06-2021, 03:24 PM

2,217 posts, read 1,392,009 times
I would say Austin is built and looks more like Charlotte than Nashville. The comparison with Nashville would be for the nightlife districts and drunk tourists.

In terms of residential, none of these cities really have all that many people living downtown. On that front it looks like Charlotte and Austin are quite similar, with Nashville having a significantly smaller residential population. According to the census tract data Nashville's DT only has around 6k people per square mile. I do imagine that the population of tourists in hotels might make that less noticeable, though.

According to Walkscore, "Downtown Austin" is a 92 walkscore, 89 bike score, and 68 transit score
"Downtown Nashville" is 86 walkscore, 65 bike score, and 68 transit score. There is no "downtown Charlotte", but it's best performing neighborhood is the fourth Ward, which gets a 89 walkscore, 79 transit score, and 59 bike score.

Pretty similar numbers between the three, with the biggest outliers being Austin having by far the best bike infrastructure and Charlotte having better, though still middling overall, transit.

Last edited by whereiend; 09-06-2021 at 03:48 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City