Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Raleigh or Tampa
Raleigh 42 42.00%
Tampa 58 58.00%
Voters: 100. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2021, 09:04 AM

4,159 posts, read 2,847,570 times

Advertisements

Well if we wanted to get to the nuts and bolts, Raleigh’s closest Atlantic beaches (Wilmington) are closer than Tampa’s I believe. But clearly Raleigh isn’t winning any head-to-head match on beaches with Tampa lol. But there are worse places to be sandwiched between as far as weekend trips to mountains and beaches. Mediocrity is an extreme characterization.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2021, 11:12 AM

6,476 posts, read 6,446,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heel82 View Post
Well if we wanted to get to the nuts and bolts, Raleigh’s closest Atlantic beaches (Wilmington) are closer than Tampa’s I believe. But clearly Raleigh isn’t winning any head-to-head match on beaches with Tampa lol. But there are worse places to be sandwiched between as far as weekend trips to mountains and beaches. Mediocrity is an extreme characterization.
The conversation was about Raleigh's proximity to the Outer Banks specifically. Wilmington is not apart of the OBX, so my statement is true, but yes Raleigh is 15 minutes closer to Wilmington than Tampa is Cocoa if the Atlantic Ocean is what you seek.

Mountains are nice, but I think most Floridians understand and accept that they dont come with it. The Blue Ridge Parkway is indeed incredible, I drove it back in the spring.

Old 09-12-2021, 11:41 AM

If we were discussing OBX specifically, then Tampa is much further away (12 hours). But yes, I’m being cheeky. But for an apples-to-apples comparison to the Atlantic Coast, Raleigh is closer. Again, being cheeky.

Old 09-12-2021, 12:12 PM

Quote:
If we were discussing OBX specifically, then Tampa is much further away (12 hours). But yes, I’m being cheeky. But for an apples-to-apples comparison to the Atlantic Coast, Raleigh is closer. Again, being cheeky.
No one tried to claim Tampa was remotely close to the Outer Banks...someone said "Tampa has the Gulf but Raleigh has the Outer Banks." Tampa is closer to the Gulf and the Atlantic than Raleigh is to the OBX. That was the point, but I also made the point that Raleigh still benefits from the OBX regardless.

And yes, downtown Raleigh is a whole 15 minutes closer to the Atlantic than downtown Tampa. I guess if we care about semantics then yes sure.

Old 09-12-2021, 01:30 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
The conversation was about Raleigh's proximity to the Outer Banks specifically. Wilmington is not apart of the OBX, so my statement is true, but yes Raleigh is 15 minutes closer to Wilmington than Tampa is Cocoa if the Atlantic Ocean is what you seek.

Mountains are nice, but I think most Floridians understand and accept that they dont come with it. The Blue Ridge Parkway is indeed incredible, I drove it back in the spring.
When it comes to the mountains, I've read that Floridians most often frequent north Georgia and east Tennesee since I-75 provides a direct connection and they are the most easily accessible by car. I'd imagine that's especially true of Tampa Bay residents since I-75 runs directly through the area.

Old 09-12-2021, 02:09 PM

17,155 posts, read 15,373,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
When it comes to the mountains, I've read that Floridians most often frequent north Georgia and east Tennesee since I-75 provides a direct connection and they are the most easily accessible by car. I'd imagine that's especially true of Tampa Bay residents since I-75 runs directly through the area.
That or the Carolinas.

Old 09-12-2021, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Most people I know personally prefer North Carolina over anything else, but all of them are options. What I was saying was Floridians are aware that there's no immediate mountain access if youre going to live in Florida. No one lives in Florida any pro-mountain reason. Pro-beach absolutely, of course.

Old 09-12-2021, 03:22 PM

Quote:
No one tried to claim Tampa was remotely close to the Outer Banks...someone said "Tampa has the Gulf but Raleigh has the Outer Banks." Tampa is closer to the Gulf and the Atlantic than Raleigh is to the OBX. That was the point, but I also made the point that Raleigh still benefits from the OBX regardless.

And yes, downtown Raleigh is a whole 15 minutes closer to the Atlantic than downtown Tampa. I guess if we care about semantics then yes sure.
Actually the point wasn’t that Tampa had the Gulf and Raleigh had OBX. The point was made that NC has mediocre beaches and mountains. There was pushback. Then out of nowhere, Tampa’s distance to a random Atlantic coast was favorably compared to Raleigh’s distance to OBX. It was an obvious slanted comparison that made it sound like Raleigh was further away from the beach than it is, and I cheekily pushed back on.

Tampa wins the beach vote. It doesn’t get to also claim a closer trip to the Atlantic Ocean as well if it isn’t actually so.

Old 09-12-2021, 05:42 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Quote:
Most people I know personally prefer North Carolina over anything else, but all of them are options. What I was saying was Floridians are aware that there's no immediate mountain access if youre going to live in Florida. No one lives in Florida any pro-mountain reason. Pro-beach absolutely, of course.
Yeah I understood what you were getting at being that it's usually a matter of being close to one or the other. Everywhere can't be southern California or Hawaii.

Old 09-12-2021, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Actually the point wasn’t that Tampa had the Gulf and Raleigh had OBX. The point was made that NC has mediocre beaches and mountains. There was pushback. Then out of nowhere, Tampa’s distance to a random Atlantic coast was favorably compared to Raleigh’s distance to OBX. It was an obvious slanted comparison that made it sound like Raleigh was further away from the beach than it is, and I cheekily pushed back on.

Tampa wins the beach vote. It doesn’t get to also claim a closer trip to the Atlantic Ocean as well if it isn’t actually so.
No it wasnt, but I'm sorry you feel that way. Also no one said Tampa is closer to the Atlantic, I said Tampa is closer to the Atlantic than Raleigh is the Outer Banks, which it is. And then I acknowledged that Raleigh is indeed closer to Wrightsville Beach, which is not Outer Banks, than Tampa is Cocoa Beach, even if its just by an average of 15 minutes.

Quote:
Yeah I understood what you were getting at being that it's usually a matter of being close to one or the other. Everywhere can't be southern California or Hawaii.
Not sure why youre telling me this tbh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City