Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2021, 02:43 PM

1,169 posts, read 750,640 times

Advertisements

If Anchorage and Juneau had a baby, she'd be a product of a broken home fairly quickly. Just kidding. If Anchorage and Ketchikan had a baby, she'd be Juneau.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2021, 02:55 PM

368 posts, read 391,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent_Adultman View Post
I can't think of one thing Denver and Atlanta have in common - this makes no sense.
They are both state capitals.

The State Capitol building in each is topped with a golden dome.

While neither is a huge city, each is the largest city in its state, and a regional hub.

Both have Major League Baseball teams, NFL football teams, and NBA basketball teams.

Both are inland cities that are not river ports, and that were founded shortly before the Civil war. The initial prosperity of each was linked to railroads.

Each is the see city of a Catholic Archdiocese.

Each has a long-established and (for its region) sizable Jewish community.

Shall I go on?

Old 09-14-2021, 04:08 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
DC/Seattle = Madison

Chattanooga/Savannah = Macon

Pittsburgh/Birmingham = Chattanooga

Old 09-14-2021, 04:33 PM

6,375 posts, read 4,993,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenWhiteBlue View Post

While neither is a huge city, each is the largest city in its state, and a regional hub.

Both have Major League Baseball teams, NFL football teams, and NBA basketball teams.

Both are inland cities that are not river ports, and that were founded shortly before the Civil war. The initial prosperity of each was linked to railroads.

Shall I go on?
Their cultural vibes, aesthetics, demographics, and histories are nothing alike, though. A lot of those similarities are pretty trivial.

I'd say the Denver of the South would be Austin, and the Atlanta of the West would be Oakland (though a case could be made for LA or even Las Vegas).

Old 09-14-2021, 04:39 PM

1,169 posts, read 750,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post
Their cultural vibes, aesthetics, demographics, and histories are nothing alike, though. A lot of those similarities are pretty trivial.

I'd say the Denver of the South would be Austin, and the Atlanta of the West would be Oakland (though a case could be made for LA or even Las Vegas).
Oakland? I don't think so. Because black people? Not nearly enough similarity there.

Old 09-14-2021, 04:57 PM

368 posts, read 391,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post

Except you seem to have entirely missed the point of the game.

Fezzador said "If Seattle and Atlanta had a baby it would be Austin."

Mutiny77 said "I'm more inclined to believe the baby would resemble Denver a bit more" -- in other words, Mutiny77 thinks that if Seattle and Atlanta had a baby, it would be Denver.

The point of the game is that the "child" city has some traits that suggest one parent, some that suggest the other, and more traits that are completely its own.

Neither Seattle nor Atlanta is Denver, but in the same way, they are also not Austin, or any other city besides themselves. However, you might notice that both of the suggested "child" cities (i.e., Austin and Denver) are state capitals that are major centers for their area. Some capitals (e.g., Dover; Annapolis) are not anything of the kind, and their is a certain "vibe" that all state capitals share when the leading business of the town is not commerce or manufacturing, but government, with state government employees forming a large percentage of the population. I would suspect that is why both Fezzador and Mutiny77 suggested that the "child" city would be a state capital like its "parent", Atlanta.

Old 09-14-2021, 05:09 PM

6,375 posts, read 4,993,181 times
Quote:
Except you seem to have entirely missed the point of the game.

Fezzador said "If Seattle and Atlanta had a baby it would be Austin."

Mutiny77 said "I'm more inclined to believe the baby would resemble Denver a bit more" -- in other words, Mutiny77 thinks that if Seattle and Atlanta had a baby, it would be Denver.

The point of the game is that the "child" city has some traits that suggest one parent, some that suggest the other, and more traits that are completely its own.

Neither Seattle nor Atlanta is Denver, but in the same way, they are also not Austin, or any other city besides themselves. However, you might notice that both of the suggested "child" cities (i.e., Austin and Denver) are state capitals that are major centers for their area. Some capitals (e.g., Dover; Annapolis) are not anything of the kind, and their is a certain "vibe" that all state capitals share when the leading business of the town is not commerce or manufacturing, but government, with state government employees forming a large percentage of the population. I would suspect that is why both Fezzador and Mutiny77 suggested that the "child" city would be a state capital like its "parent", Atlanta.
I think I came off as more forceful than I was trying to. You're right, it is just a fun game. I get that Denver has some similarities to Atlanta, but I think Austin fits better as a cross between Atlanta and Seattle. So I am agreeing with fezzador.

Old 09-14-2021, 05:13 PM

2,304 posts, read 1,711,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
They have a few similarities, but do you think Austin has more in common with Atlanta?
I do - while Austin isn't necessarily the traditional South, it has a lot more in common with Southern culture than Denver, which has zero Southern culture or influence. Both Austin and Atlanta are humid, both have good BBQ, both have more trees and are greener than Denver.

What are the similarities between Atlanta and Denver? I'm having a hard time thinking of one.

Old 09-14-2021, 05:15 PM

2,304 posts, read 1,711,171 times
Quote:

Shall I go on?
Most of these are extremely superficial and/or random - not indicative of actual similarities.

Old 09-14-2021, 05:22 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,156,607 times
[quote=TheTimidBlueBars;61908020

Jacksonville and Salt Lake City: Raleigh possibly?

/QUOTE]

Oh God no.
Those would not the two cities at all.
I'd say San Jose and Atlanta
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City