Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2021, 07:11 PM

511 posts, read 399,874 times

Advertisements

If Dallas and Lake Charles had a baby, it would be Houston.

Los Angeles + Oklahoma City = Dallas

Los Angeles + Birmingham = Atlanta
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2021, 08:25 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,208,043 times
Denver and El Paso = Albuquerque

Old 09-15-2021, 08:38 PM

828 posts, read 648,507 times
Chicago & Baltimore=Philly

Old 09-15-2021, 09:50 PM

3,446 posts, read 3,372,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuit_head View Post
Alexandria, VA and Charlotte = Richmond

Phoenix and El Paso = Tucson

Kansas City and Los Angeles = Dallas

Birmingham and Atlanta = Nashville

Memphis and Meridian, MS = Jackson

Baton Rouge and Los Angeles = Houston

San Francisco and Minneapolis = Seattle

Norfolk and San Diego = Tampa

San Diego and Sarasota = St Petersburg

Memphis and St Paul = St Louis

Columbus and Chicago = Indianapolis

Buffalo and Detroit = Cleveland

Boston and Atlanta = Washington, DC

Philadelphia and Richmond = Baltimore

Cincinnati and Paducah = Louisville?
For Jackson, MS, I always pictured that more being a combo of the cultures of Memphis and New Orleans. Louisville has more of a central Kentucky than western Kentucky influence from my visits there, so I'd say Cincinnati and Lexington would both influence Lousiville. Paducah, is probably more influenced by both Evansville and Cape Girardeau.

I hadn't visited Boston, but the few times I've visited DC, it didn't seem like it had much of a Boston influence to me from what I've read up about that city. I'd like to hear more about the DC and Boston connection, from others here. I wonder if I just missed picking up on a Boston influence, when I was in DC years ago?

Old 09-15-2021, 10:25 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent_Adultman View Post
I do - while Austin isn't necessarily the traditional South, it has a lot more in common with Southern culture than Denver, which has zero Southern culture or influence. Both Austin and Atlanta are humid, both have good BBQ, both have more trees and are greener than Denver.

What are the similarities between Atlanta and Denver? I'm having a hard time thinking of one.
The biggest similarity to me is that both Atlanta and Denver are not only state capitals, but are also the de facto capitals of their respective regions. As such they are both critical transportation, logistics, and communications hubs with very diverse economies and are home to tons of regional headquarters of government agencies and F500 companies. Geography is very important to Denver and Atlanta and has played an outsized role in shaping both cities to a degree that is not true for Austin. To me, that's a more significant similarity than the ones you named for Austin.

Last edited by Mutiny77; 09-15-2021 at 10:36 PM..

Old 09-16-2021, 08:16 AM

1,296 posts, read 1,218,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonySegaTendo617 View Post
For Jackson, MS, I always pictured that more being a combo of the cultures of Memphis and New Orleans. Louisville has more of a central Kentucky than western Kentucky influence from my visits there, so I'd say Cincinnati and Lexington would both influence Lousiville. Paducah, is probably more influenced by both Evansville and Cape Girardeau.

I hadn't visited Boston, but the few times I've visited DC, it didn't seem like it had much of a Boston influence to me from what I've read up about that city. I'd like to hear more about the DC and Boston connection, from others here. I wonder if I just missed picking up on a Boston influence, when I was in DC years ago?
I lived in Jackson for about a decade. Despite its proximity to New Orleans (its about equidistant between Memphis and New Orleans), the New Orleanian influence isn't really all there. They have different heritages, protestant culture dominates Jackson too much while New Orleans is conspicuously Catholic influenced, and New Orleans had a lot more of an immigrant stock than Jackson. Also, Jackson didn't really come into its own until the 1920s or so. Meridian was the largest city in Mississippi for awhile long before Jackson was, part of why I picked it. Biloxi and Gulfport have the most New Orleanian influence in the state, and while say, Hattiesburg shares a few similarities, but Biloxi is definitely the baby of Mobile and New Orleans.

Architecturally, DC and Boston have SOME similarities and DC is this weird combo of the North and the South since it sits at the bottom end of the NE/Acela Corridor and has elements of that. It has the dense urban form in the city and some of the adjacent streetcar suburbs, but there's an obvious Southern influence throughout the metro, although diluted over the past 40-50 years, its there, particularly in its more sunbelt approach to Suburban development. Also, it's the biggest city that's roughly halfway between the two. But Boston has an obvious New England culture that's lacking in DC.

Thank you for the information regarding Louisville. I know Lexington is pretty unique and all Kentucky, but I guess I was only thinking of River cities when I thought of the Louisville comparison.

Old 09-16-2021, 09:50 AM

6,083 posts, read 10,700,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
Denver and El Paso = Albuquerque
I think Colorado Springs and El Paso might be an even better one for Albuquerque. I thought it was pretty similar to The Springs.

Old 09-16-2021, 09:59 AM

3,446 posts, read 3,372,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuit_head View Post
I lived in Jackson for about a decade. Despite its proximity to New Orleans (its about equidistant between Memphis and New Orleans), the New Orleanian influence isn't really all there. They have different heritages, protestant culture dominates Jackson too much while New Orleans is conspicuously Catholic influenced, and New Orleans had a lot more of an immigrant stock than Jackson. Also, Jackson didn't really come into its own until the 1920s or so. Meridian was the largest city in Mississippi for awhile long before Jackson was, part of why I picked it. Biloxi and Gulfport have the most New Orleanian influence in the state, and while say, Hattiesburg shares a few similarities, but Biloxi is definitely the baby of Mobile and New Orleans.

Architecturally, DC and Boston have SOME similarities and DC is this weird combo of the North and the South since it sits at the bottom end of the NE/Acela Corridor and has elements of that. It has the dense urban form in the city and some of the adjacent streetcar suburbs, but there's an obvious Southern influence throughout the metro, although diluted over the past 40-50 years, its there, particularly in its more sunbelt approach to Suburban development. Also, it's the biggest city that's roughly halfway between the two. But Boston has an obvious New England culture that's lacking in DC.

Thank you for the information regarding Louisville. I know Lexington is pretty unique and all Kentucky, but I guess I was only thinking of River cities when I thought of the Louisville comparison.
You're welcome, about what I thought about Louisville when I past visited it. Also thanks for responding about Jackson. Now I see why you didn't mention New Orleans, for Jackson myself. Jackson is one of those cities where you think it would've more grown, than it actually has as of today. And I see what you mean that DC has some limited Boston influence, it being on the south end of the Acela corridor. That said it felt more mid-Atlantic like in culture when I was in DC years ago, than New England.

Back to Jackson, didn't realize Meridian used to be the biggest Mississippi city. I always got that sense from street viewing it, that Jackson had a lot of untapped potential to grow more that hasn't been realized. Now that I think about this question about more populated MS cities and towns, was there a very brief time on the 1800s when Natchez was the most populated MS city/town? Meridian seemed like they were trying to renovate buildings in their downtown when I street viewed it, along with renovating their Amtrak station.

Old 09-17-2021, 06:11 AM

14,166 posts, read 9,058,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by General I80 View Post
I’m thinking Miami. It’s coastal, like Seattle. Lots of Rap Music, like Atlanta. Rainy, like both.

Minneapolis + St. Louis?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Somnifor View Post
Dubuque, Iowa or maybe St Paul.

St Paul is the Minnesota version of a river city, the youngest version of the same model as Louisville, St Louis and Memphis. Minneapolis is on the river but not of the river the way St Paul and those other cities are.
I was going to have answered that question "Kansas City," but there is a hitch:

Minneapolis is a grain hub like KC, and St. Louis has manufacturing like KC, but neither of those two is a cowtown like KC.

Maybe the better parents for Kansas City would be Minneapolis and Fort Worth.

Old 09-18-2021, 05:50 PM

3,887 posts, read 2,199,041 times
Phoenix plus Orlando= San Antonio.
Atlanta plus Austin= Nashville
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City