Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Memphis or Knoxvillr
Memphis 17 44.74%
Knoxville 21 55.26%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2021, 12:11 PM

402 posts, read 370,831 times

Advertisements

Which city would you prefer to live in, and why?

Culture:
Public School Systems (for those with children):
Economy:
Food:
Cost of living:
Crime:
Infrastructure/transportation:
Urbanity:
Desirable suburbs:
Climate:
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2021, 01:07 PM

6,387 posts, read 5,025,282 times
I'll take Knoxville. Usually I'd go with the bigger city, but Knoxville looks much more intact and seems to have a better future. It's also somewhat close to other cities in east TN/western NC, and Appalachia interests me more as a region than the Deep South.

Old 09-17-2021, 09:04 PM
sub

4,963 posts, read 3,771,219 times
Culture: Memphis
Public School Systems (for those with children): Probably Knoxville
Economy: Knoxville
Food: Memphis
Cost of living: Memphis
Crime: Knoxville
Infrastructure/transportation: Memphis
Urbanity: Memphis
Desirable suburbs: Memphis
Climate: neither

I’d live in Memphis. It’s bigger and more interesting.
Knoxville has never resonated with me.

Old 09-18-2021, 11:04 AM

10,084 posts, read 14,479,668 times
Culture: Memphis by far - the music history, impact and legacy of Memphis cannot be touched by many US cities

Public School Systems (for those with children): Knoxville - definitely better on the whole

Economy: Knoxville - not as many jobs, but in better diverse shape overall

Food: Memphis - can't get much better BBQ and country cooking than in Memphis--amazing!

Cost of living: close, but Memphis slightly lower

Crime:Knoxville better easily

Infrastructure/transportation: Memphis - definitely, just because it's much bigger and has the downtown monorail, the very cool and unique trolley system, and a lot more interstates

Urbanity: Memphis - just because it's so much bigger: 640k vs 190k

Desirable suburbs: Memphis-the Memphis suburbs in the east and in northern MS are super nice and highly livable and desirable. Knoxville is no slouch either, but Memphis is better

Climate: Knoxville; Memphis has that super muggy and super humid Mississippi Delta weather, where the summer lasts from March until November, sometimes. Knoxville is hot and humid too, but at least a few degrees cooler overall and the beautiful smoky mountains are within half hour

Knoxville edges Memphis overall for me, based on this criteria.

I could live in either city and in either suburb though. But would prefer Knoxville since it is closer to a lot more attractions, mountains and cities.

Old 09-18-2021, 05:00 PM

730 posts, read 818,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
Culture: Memphis by far - the music history, impact and legacy of Memphis cannot be touched by many US cities

Public School Systems (for those with children): Knoxville - definitely better on the whole
I agree with both of those.

Quote:
Economy: Knoxville - not as many jobs, but in better diverse shape overall
Knoxville may not have as many jobs but it also doesn't have as many people without jobs. Knoxville's unemployment rate (July '21): 3.9%. Memphis: 6.9%
https://www.bls.gov/web/metro/laummtrk.htm

Quote:
Cost of living: close, but Memphis slightly lower
Memphis has lower cost of living only because it has a whole lot more ghetto neighborhoods where houses can be bought for a song. And even the nice neighborhoods in the city are just a few blocks removed from ghetto neighborhoods, hence the lower prices which are more than made up in astronomically high property taxes. Memphis keeps jacking up its taxes to the point that people with money will continue fleeing to North Mississippi and Collierville.

Quote:
Infrastructure/transportation: Memphis - definitely, just because it's much bigger and has the downtown monorail, the very cool and unique trolley system, and a lot more interstates
Memphis does not have "a lot more interstates" than Knoxville. Memphis has I-40, I-55, I-22, I-69, I-269, I-240. That makes 6. Knoxville has I-40, I-75, I-81, I-140, I-275, I-640. Also 6.

Quote:
Desirable suburbs: Memphis-the Memphis suburbs in the east and in northern MS are super nice and highly livable and desirable. Knoxville is no slouch either, but Memphis is better
I would put Oak Ridge over any Memphis suburb every day of the week and twice on Sundays. Collierville and Germantown are nice, but they're not any nicer than Farragut or Maryville. The North MS burbs are pretty meh, no different from Knoxville's meh suburbs (Loudon, Lenoir City, Clinton). Memphis has absolutely nothing even remotely similar to Knoxville's many lakefront suburbs.

Old 09-18-2021, 05:55 PM

10,084 posts, read 14,479,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloHome View Post

Memphis does not have "a lot more interstates" than Knoxville. Memphis has I-40, I-55, I-22, I-69, I-269, I-240. That makes 6. Knoxville has I-40, I-75, I-81, I-140, I-275, I-640. Also 6.

Memphis has interstates 55, interstates 40 and the newly formed interstate 22 and interstate 69 going through it's metro region. That is 4 major arteries.

Knoxville has 2 major arteries going through it--interstate 75 and interstate 40.

It's sort of cheating to say Knoxville has interstate 81, since interstate 81 starts about 30-35 miles east of Knoxville, not really in Knoxville.

Of course I suppose for now it could be said similarly about interstate 22 in Memphis--but I think it is planned to go over US highway 78, leading into Memphis.

The other ones you mention are "loops" or "spurs" of interstates that go around or near the metro area, so sure, they are highways, but not major interstates that run from one state to the next.

Both cities have interstate 40 going through them. One of the largest and busiest east-west interstate route in the US. Also, Knoxville does have I-75, which itself stretches from Michigan to Florida.

Old 09-18-2021, 08:49 PM

1,017 posts, read 1,494,418 times
Culture: Memphis
Public School Systems (for those with children): Tie (KCS vs SCS+the suburban districts)
Economy: Memphis, it's larger and more diverse with more corporate HQs
Food: Memphis
Cost of living: Tie
Crime: Knoxville
Infrastructure/transportation: Memphis
Urbanity: Memphis
Desirable suburbs: Memphis
Climate: Knoxville

Overall: Memphis

Old 09-19-2021, 06:11 AM

842 posts, read 829,689 times
Memphis has more amenities as a substantially larger city, but I would easily choose Knoxville for scenery and better weather overall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City