Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Chicago or DC
Chicago 81 64.80%
DC 44 35.20%
Voters: 125. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2021, 07:01 AM

15 posts, read 13,690 times

Advertisements

There is no better city in the USA than Chicago in the summer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2021, 08:42 AM

12,157 posts, read 7,980,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gamecocksfan6238 View Post
Boston or Portland ME?

Chicago lacks the beaches. But still. My favorite US City. <3

Old 09-26-2021, 10:25 AM

5,016 posts, read 3,909,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Boston or Portland ME?

In the city!? Chicago has more beaches in the city than Boston and Portland combined. Like, 17 uninterrupted miles of beach front. It essentially becomes big Miami. To me, it is absolutely the best city in the summer.

Suburbs? Yes, Chicagoland lacks accessible beaches and things to do in the summer. But this is about the city.

Boston is a fall city, through and through. When September 1 hits, and hundreds of thousands of students flood the city, it’s electric. That, plus the foliage and the general metro in fall to me is nearly untouchable. As high brow, yuppie, nerdy as this might sound... There’s nothing like drinking an espresso on a fall stroll through Back Bay.

DC is a spring city. April/May in DC is fabulous.. Stunning.

Old 09-26-2021, 10:42 AM

2,563 posts, read 3,623,865 times
Quote:
Boston or Portland ME?

You might want to re-think this post, esp., given your fondness and knowledge of Chicago.

Old 09-26-2021, 01:08 PM

1,320 posts, read 864,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gamecocksfan6238 View Post
In terms of city events and festivities, probably yes. In terms of climate and access to outdoor recreation, no way.

Old 09-26-2021, 07:12 PM

663 posts, read 305,624 times
Quote:
Boston or Portland ME?

Lacks beaches is strange. On a salt water ocean yes. Chicago is far from beachless. Then DC has no ocean beaches for the thread topic no?

Since I cannot snip a part of the video.
The Beach scene north of downtown Chicago.

Beach scenes. Start around the 5:30 to 7:00 minute mark. Clearly beaches. Can be opened to HD.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cva0-O22y9c&t=92s

City beaches may officially be open for just 3-months. Last time I checked. DC still gets winters also. If it has beaches. They would also be closed for 8-9 months with no lifeguards on duty and not beach weather.

Old 09-28-2021, 07:27 PM

6,540 posts, read 12,032,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post
In the city!? Chicago has more beaches in the city than Boston and Portland combined. Like, 17 uninterrupted miles of beach front. It essentially becomes big Miami. To me, it is absolutely the best city in the summer.

Suburbs? Yes, Chicagoland lacks accessible beaches and things to do in the summer. But this is about the city.

Boston is a fall city, through and through. When September 1 hits, and hundreds of thousands of students flood the city, it’s electric. That, plus the foliage and the general metro in fall to me is nearly untouchable. As high brow, yuppie, nerdy as this might sound... There’s nothing like drinking an espresso on a fall stroll through Back Bay.

DC is a spring city. April/May in DC is fabulous.. Stunning.
I always thought of Chicago as a Christmas time city, with the lights and snow on the ground as seen in movies like "Home Alone". DC is a spring time city for sure, particularly with the cherry blossoms.

Old 09-28-2021, 10:32 PM

12,157 posts, read 7,980,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLake View Post
You might want to re-think this post, esp., given your fondness and knowledge of Chicago.
Again being from the east coast and then living in multiple beachy states.. i have a way different definition of access to beaches than those who havent lived on coasts.

Old 09-29-2021, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
I always thought of Chicago as a Christmas time city, with the lights and snow on the ground as seen in movies like "Home Alone". DC is a spring time city for sure, particularly with the cherry blossoms.
You’re right for sure, it is very pretty in Chicago and the North Shore suburbs. Something about the brick homes and tree lines streets in towns like Winnetka that give it a festive feel around Christmas.

But I’d argue NYC is the king of Christmas, extending through New Years. I love NYC in December.

Old 09-29-2021, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Again being from the east coast and then living in multiple beachy states.. i have a way different definition of access to beaches than those who havent lived on coasts.
But in city proper, do you really feel like Portland or Boston offer the beautiful East Coast beaches that you’re thinking of?

Again, if we’re talking general areas, I definitely agree. City proper? Chicago’s are prettier, more accessible, and in far more quantity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City