Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Chicago or DC
Chicago 81 64.80%
DC 44 35.20%
Voters: 125. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2021, 07:21 AM

12,157 posts, read 7,980,515 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post
But in city proper, do you really feel like Portland or Boston offer the beautiful East Coast beaches that you’re thinking of?

Again, if we’re talking general areas, I definitely agree. City proper? Chicago’s are prettier, more accessible, and in far more quantity.
No because when i live in a city, artificial city borders dont dictate what beaches I go too. In NYC i went to the Jersey Shore. In Boston I went to Gloucester or the spit. Admittedly, Ive only been to one city beach in Boston. In Dorchester. Chicago’s were nicer in the limits, with a lot around it.

Its not what beaches are in the city limits… its what beaches the people in the city limits have access to. Thats my take on it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2021, 08:54 AM

5,016 posts, read 3,909,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
No because when i live in a city, artificial city borders dont dictate what beaches I go too. In NYC i went to the Jersey Shore. In Boston I went to Gloucester or the spit. Admittedly, Ive only been to one city beach in Boston. In Dorchester. Chicago’s were nicer in the limits, with a lot around it.

Its not what beaches are in the city limits… its what beaches the people in the city limits have access to. Thats my take on it.
And I think that's a fair take.

I was positioning city vs. city, nothing more, nothing less.

Old 09-29-2021, 09:41 AM

663 posts, read 305,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post

Seems smaller city-proper cities need to lessen what the vs. city has to boast in its larger border limits. That's a c-d game-plan sometimes. I thought you might have misspoke in a blanket statement as Chicago has no beaches then saying not on a ocean basically what you meant in opinion. Now a more admitting at least they are legit a beach it seems and acknowledge it? The lake as a whole is a asset as a inland sea and endless supply of metro drinking water.

IMHO. No beaches in the Continental US match Florida's. If it's surfing, one may not say Florida. Guess gor both you think Hawaii. You want cliffs alone your beaches again not Florida. Two things that a Great Lake beach lacks in part is that real ocean smell and palms. Waters still are blue hues and clear and waves as a sea. Very low degree of sea weed. I saw a Texas beach just like a seaweed monster exploded. No high and low tides or jelly fish stings as not a bad thing.

Chicago takes pride in its lakefront it evolved and recreated. 26 miles that have like 29 beaches as not huge or stretching forever. It deserves in-city credit keeping them public and a fight to keep industry off and private ownership and even a asset in city vs. city credit.

8 City Beaches to Spend the Day At. - Conde' Naste link

https://www.cntraveler.com/gallery/c...end-the-day-at

Point is. They acknowledge Chicago as a real in-city beach city by a tourist traveling magazine. Real beach then for them is a asset it can boast.

Short under 3-min video. A North Shore in city of Chicago beach. Early sunrise walk by a lifeguard chair tower and calming waves and the horizon as a open sea. Why a high-rise lake view is so revered to have in any season.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IaSIBLpTxfQ

Old 09-29-2021, 10:44 AM

810 posts, read 2,160,708 times
Can anything be done about the recent eroding of Chicago's beaches?

Old 09-29-2021, 11:14 AM

5,347 posts, read 10,152,962 times
Culture: Chicago
Public School Systems (for those with children)on't Know
Economy: DC
Food: Seafood & West Indian DC, Everything else: Chicago
Cost of living: Chicago
Crime: Tie
Infrastructure/transportation: Tie
Urbanity: Chicago
Desirable suburbs: DC
Climate: DC

Old 09-29-2021, 12:53 PM

663 posts, read 305,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivo View Post
Can anything be done about the recent eroding of Chicago's beaches?
Hope for normal lower lake levels and natural lake beach replenishment naturally and the pricey adding from elsewhere. Sand can does get imported from inland sand pits around Illinois and Wisconsin. Some of Chicago's sand was dredged from the bottom of the lake around Chicago and Indiana. Could use some again. Maybe next year?

Lake Michigan can naturally build a beach. Just it is more pebbly then the extra-fine kind of sand. Chicago's in the city are virtually all manmade as are all the parkland there to lagoons and harbors over the 20th century. Much added as lake-fill with all downtown to Oak St Beach was part of Lake Michigan once with all the skyscrapers clearly secured into deeper bedrock.

Seems Chicago's lakefront was originally more marshland itself and why much of early Chicago was raised. Evanston north were more natural and Indiana's. Boulders and other barriers had man aid a natural beach to build more Chicago's and others.

These past few years had the Great Lakes in their high-levels cycle and most hit records last year. So adding a few feet of water covers more beachfront and increases erosion. When we saw the waves were going over Chicago's lakefront concrete portions. Clearly it was at record highs. So adding finer sand comes. Just not much info on it or how often.

Large storms take tolls anywhere. Lakes Michigan and Huron were 1.2 inches higher in August 2020 than the record high August level in 1986. Both lakes have a straight between them to balance each at the same level. The Lake level changes 10-12 inches between summer and winter each year also. Record low levels were reached on lakes Michigan and Huron in 2013, part of an erratic pattern that could become normalized with our changing climate.

Over the last year, Lake Michigan has fallen a whopping 17 inches. It is still 18 inches above normal. So basically last years record was like 3-feet above average. Lows go below that. All and all. It is by cycles over years and decades and now possible climate change threat.

Old 10-07-2021, 01:35 PM

23,515 posts, read 23,986,796 times
I really enjoy both cities, but picked DC.

Old 10-07-2021, 03:08 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,693,806 times
I love both but if I had a choice it would be DC

Old 10-07-2021, 03:29 PM

1,013 posts, read 910,542 times
Both good I’ll take DC.

Old 10-07-2021, 07:28 PM

232 posts, read 189,340 times
Chicago for me pretty easily, sans the weather.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City