Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city has had the greatest relative decline?
Cleveland 18 11.46%
Detroit 103 65.61%
New Orleans 5 3.18%
Pittsburgh 3 1.91%
St Louis 28 17.83%
Voters: 157. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2021, 07:55 AM

14,020 posts, read 15,008,176 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClevelandBrown View Post
I absolutely think there is a lot of truth to the perception that Pittsburgh is the "safe" yet still gritty rust belt option, and race does a play a factor in that.

At the same time, it is the safest of all of the aforementioned ones, so won't deny that safety concerns, especially in the inner city, have helped Pittsburgh transform some neighborhoods more quickly.

With that, I'll stick to what I have mentioned previously about how Pittsburgh isn't as safe, or transformed, as its city numbers make it appear. It doesn't have to carry with it nearly as many downtrodden neighborhoods as Cleveland, Detroit or St. Louis do. They all have a couple suburbs that are as rough as some of their worst city neighborhoods, but nothing like Pittsbugh.

Plus, you don't hear much about those depressed boroughs because they are all tiny (like .5 to 5 square miles in area) so individually (with the exception of Wilkinsburg) aren't really thought of as having high crime because the numerical totals are low.

But collectively, if you took the Mon Valley cities/boroughs, and grouped them together, you are talking about an area of 40 to 50 square miles and a population of roughly 150,000 that definitely has a higher poverty/unemployment rate than the city of Pittsburgh. I'm also guessing it would have a much higher crime rate as well. There are a lot of areas in the Mon Valley that would give the worst parts of Cleveland, Detroit or St. Louis in terms of blight/abandonment.

In the homicide thread, someone mentioned the city of Pittsburgh is at 47 (population 305,000). I would not be surprised if the collective Mon Valley communities are close to that number (in a population of 150,000).
Pittsburgh is a really good example of how like 4 nice central neighborhoods can warp people’s perception of a city. (With a bit of help from the media’s underdog bias). This is one reason Chicago and Philly have different reputations, the Loop is immaculate and Center City is not. But they have pretty much the exact same issues.

Pittsburgh (and New Orleans) have the most active central 4 neighborhoods of the bunch and hide their decay better (in New Orleans case quite literally behind ~25-30ft walls) but it exists non the less.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2021, 10:20 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,301,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Pittsburgh is a really good example of how like 4 nice central neighborhoods can warp people’s perception of a city. (With a bit of help from the media’s underdog bias). This is one reason Chicago and Philly have different reputations, the Loop is immaculate and Center City is not. But they have pretty much the exact same issues.

Pittsburgh (and New Orleans) have the most active central 4 neighborhoods of the bunch and hide their decay better (in New Orleans case quite literally behind ~25-30ft walls) but it exists non the less.
What?

Old 10-09-2021, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
What?
The most impoverished neighborhoods are across the industrial Canal which is cut off by ~25 feet levees

Old 10-09-2021, 03:29 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,738,907 times
Quote:
Pittsburgh is a really good example of how like 4 nice central neighborhoods can warp people’s perception of a city.
Which four?

Old 10-09-2021, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craziaskowboi View Post
Which four?
Downtown, the Strip, Oakland are better than the other cities comparable neighborhoods. Which gives people an unrealistic expectation of how Pittsburgh measures up to Cleveland, St Louis or Cincinnati

I was not saying Greater Pittsburgh has 4 nice neighborhoods, I was saying it’s reputation as the Jewel of the Rustbelt is based off like 4 neighborhoods

Last edited by btownboss4; 10-09-2021 at 06:05 PM..

Old 10-09-2021, 06:03 PM

1,320 posts, read 866,324 times
Quote:
Pittsburgh is a really good example of how like 4 nice central neighborhoods can warp people’s perception of a city. (With a bit of help from the media’s underdog bias).
Accurate. So many people here think that all of Pittsburgh looks like Shadyside, Oakland, or Squirrel Hill. The gritty slightly run down Appalachia look is very present in a lot of the city.

Old 10-11-2021, 08:25 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,301,334 times
Quote:
The most impoverished neighborhoods are across the industrial Canal which is cut off by ~25 feet levees
The whole city is cut off by levee's.

Old 10-11-2021, 08:55 AM

824 posts, read 712,444 times
Quote:
Downtown, the Strip, Oakland are better than the other cities comparable neighborhoods. Which gives people an unrealistic expectation of how Pittsburgh measures up to Cleveland, St Louis or Cincinnati

I was not saying Greater Pittsburgh has 4 nice neighborhoods, I was saying it’s reputation as the Jewel of the Rustbelt is based off like 4 neighborhoods
I also think another big part of it is that the crime in Pittsburgh is not as bad as a lot of the other cities on this list. Again, some of that has to do with with a lot of improvised areas being outside the city limits. Also, there’s the southside flats, Mexican War Streets is a trendy area nowadays, there’s a couple of other areas. But I’d say even though the eastern chunk of the city is where most of the trendy, thriving areas are located(along with some of the worst neighborhoods towards the east of them), there are other good chunks of the city that are doing well and trendy.

Cincinnati might be on Pittsburgh’s level or even above it. The city gained like 10k in the past decade, and so many areas that were total dumps 20 years ago, have been completely transformed into thriving districts(though often at the expense of residents that have been there for a long time). OTR was as bad looking as West Baltimore back in 2000, and at least a hundred buildings have been renovated a year and now lots of new construction is popping up as well.

Old 10-17-2021, 07:36 AM

3,291 posts, read 2,770,754 times
Quote:

It's more than just 4 though. I'd say the Pittsburgh neighborhoods that stand out compared to it's peer cities are: Downtown, the Strip District, Lawrenceville, South side flats, Oakland (which is big, and is usually considered to be 3 neighborhoods), Shadyside, East Liberty, Squirrel Hill, and Mt. Washington . I'd probably also include the North Side because of all of it's attractions, but it does have some run down areas.

Old 10-17-2021, 10:08 AM

611 posts, read 365,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austiNati View Post
Imagine Atlanta declining to the status of Nashville or Orlando. That's how far Detroit has fallen.

Except that is hasn't. You can't look at the city population in a vacuum. The metro has grown over the decades.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City