Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where would you live?
Austin MSA 55 51.40%
San Jose MSA 52 48.60%
Voters: 107. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2021, 12:29 PM

946 posts, read 564,763 times

Advertisements

Easy choice. Austin is San Jose with better barbecue and without the high cost of living. And it is nicer to look at.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2021, 03:05 PM

37,131 posts, read 39,380,764 times
Restaurant variety in San Jose and surrounding areas is a lot wider than that of Austin and generally much closer to my preferences. South Bay is very diverse and is right next to some of the most agriculturally productive regions of the world, so eats definitely aren't where San Jose suffers.

Old 10-09-2021, 03:59 PM

579 posts, read 512,628 times
San Jose for sure. It's a very chill city with a pretty underrated core. And some of the world's best suburbs money can buy. Amazing weather year around and amazing diversity. Not a bad place to hang your hat, if you can afford it.

Austin and the San Antone area is probably the best thing Texas has going. I will say that much. But I'm just not about that Texas life.

Old 10-09-2021, 05:36 PM

20 posts, read 9,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soonhun View Post
People say San Jose has a better climate. . .but I find it awfully boring. I prefer thunderstorms, ice, and tornados over sun every day. Honestly, this is probably a draw for me for various reasons and it all comes down entirely to money. In my current job or industry, Austin, no question. It is cheaper and, from what I heard, people doing my job in the Bay Area do not make enough more to live a similar lifestyle with no roommates. If I was in tech and, at the end of the day adjusted for housing and other COL, I had the same income, then probably San Jose, only because of its proximity to the San Francisco region. I voted Austin, however, because I don't see myself ever leaving my industry, especially for tech,
San Jose does have a much much better climate...as in no sweltering humid summers or winter cold snaps to deal with ever.

Old 10-10-2021, 12:43 AM

570 posts, read 560,053 times
I pick Austin. Though the city really is the "California" of Texas but with more interesting weather. While the Bay Area is nice year round, it tends to get boring rather quickly. It just doesn't have that rush of excitement that makes you wanna chase storms.

Old 10-10-2021, 12:57 AM

11,790 posts, read 7,999,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zbest View Post
San Jose does have a much much better climate...as in no sweltering humid summers or winter cold snaps to deal with ever.
Austin isn’t really all that humid, I’ve dealt with much worse humidity than Austin. Maybe coming from California it’s humid but compared to most of the east coast, it’s humidity is pretty tame. It is hot as hades though.

Old 10-10-2021, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
Austin isn’t really all that humid, I’ve dealt with much worse humidity than Austin. Maybe coming from California it’s humid but compared to most of the east coast, it’s humidity is pretty tame. It is hot as hades though.
Agree, not as bad as some other places but still it's there...especially the heat.

Old 10-10-2021, 02:45 PM

6,892 posts, read 8,265,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
By any California standard Austin is very very humid. An Austin summer is oppressively humid hellish HOT for sure, never cools.

The only grip I have of a Bay Area summer is that it is barely a summer. Long warm/hot days, don't really exist in most of the Bay Area. San Jose is pretty much the warmest and sunniest in the Bay Area, yet you still barely need a/c.

Guaranteed you will have very cool summer evenings, nights and mornings, really almost too cool, mid 50's into the night and morning. Cool low clouds and marine layer which can make it "humid" but with the opposite effect of making it feel too cool/cold in the middle of summer.

You could say the Bay Area has extremely boring weather, moderate, devoid of inclement conditions but where it excels is that you can be on an ocean beach in the the dead of summer and it has a 'wind chill" of 50F, completely fogged in and windy, then drive 20 mins (15-20 miles) in be in full sun, 85F perfect comfortable 25% humidity.

Last edited by Chimérique; 10-10-2021 at 03:00 PM..

Old 10-10-2021, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimérique View Post
By any California standard Austin is very very humid. An Austin summer is oppressively humid hellish HOT for sure, never cools.

The only grip I have of a Bay Area summer is that it is barely a summer. Long warm/hot days, don't really exist in most of the Bay Area. San Jose is pretty much the warmest and sunniest in the Bay Area, yet you still barely need a/c.

Guaranteed you will have very cool summer evenings, nights and mornings, really almost too cool, mid 50's into the night and morning. Cool low clouds and marine layer which can make it "humid" but with the opposite effect of making it feel too cool/cold in the middle of summer.

You could say the Bay Area has extremely boring weather, moderate, devoid of inclement conditions but where it excels is that you can be on an ocean beach in the the dead of summer and it has a 'wind chill" of 50F, completely fogged in and windy, then drive 20 mins (15-20 miles) in be in full sun, 85F perfect comfortable humidity.
Ahh, so refreshing...

Old 10-10-2021, 06:32 PM

3,158 posts, read 2,209,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimérique View Post
You could say the Bay Area has extremely boring weather, moderate, devoid of inclement conditions but where it excels is that you can be on an ocean beach in the the dead of summer and it has a 'wind chill" of 50F, completely fogged in and windy, then drive 20 mins (15-20 miles) in be in full sun, 85F perfect comfortable 25% humidity.
85 degrees with low humidity sounds great by the numbers. It isn't quite as ideal when accompanied by smoke from fires, which have impacted many parts of northern CA in recent years, and can get monotonous for many people when there is little or no rain for months on end. Austin does get similar temperature and humidity readings periodically as well, although not in the summer months.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City