Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which State should Telosa be built?
Arizona 2 2.60%
Idaho 18 23.38%
Nevada 5 6.49%
Texas 10 12.99%
Utah 5 6.49%
Other (Why?) 37 48.05%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2021, 01:04 PM

2,868 posts, read 2,817,380 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heel82 View Post
Eastern NC is in need of development. Perhaps somewhere along the new I-87 interstate to be built between Raleigh and Norfolk. Specifically maybe somewhere like central Bertie County. It’s far enough away from the actual coast that hurricanes have historically not been an issue. Flooding does occur along the sound, but not much of north of Windsor. The closest major towns would be an hour away in Greenville and Rocky Mount. While Raleigh and Norfolk would be closer to 2 hours away.
No city ever developed there because it lies east of the Atlantic Seaboard Fall Line, so you are increasing hurricane risk, missing out on hydroelectricity due to nearby rapids, and building on weaker soil without metamorphized rock.

The only reason Norfolk became an outlier is it lied at the entry of the Chesapeake, so it became a geostrategic fortress and boomed around the military industry.

To me we need a city adjacent to the Appalachians to tap into their resources, without being physically on them which makes transportation far more expensive.

Somewhere like Roanoke could work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2021, 08:23 PM

16,554 posts, read 10,621,516 times
I must admit to being skeptical of the whole idea of Telosa (whose name would NEVER be confused with Tulsa, lol!), but if it's going to be done, it ought to be located in an area where people might actually want to live. Someplace near national parks, mountains, and other scenic attractions. Someplace on the interstate highway system, to promote ground mobility. (They'll need to build a new airport for their city.) And I've got just the place:

Drum roll please . . .

Ready?

COVE FORT, UTAH!!

It's the absolutely perfect location. Roughly halfway between Las Vegas and Salt Lake City, within a day's drive of Los Angeles and Denver, at the junction of I-15 and I-70, with easy access to national parks, mountains, even skiing. It's in the desert, but it doesn't feel nearly as barren as the typical desert feels. Snowmelt (if there is any, which I'm not sure) from the nearby mountains could be used to help provide water for the new city. It's honestly a mystery why Cove Fort hasn't developed, but this could be just the thing to put it on the map.

Old 10-10-2021, 11:55 PM

6,470 posts, read 4,071,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
I must admit to being skeptical of the whole idea of Telosa (whose name would NEVER be confused with Tulsa, lol!), but if it's going to be done, it ought to be located in an area where people might actually want to live. Someplace near national parks, mountains, and other scenic attractions. Someplace on the interstate highway system, to promote ground mobility. (They'll need to build a new airport for their city.) And I've got just the place:

Drum roll please . . .

Ready?

COVE FORT, UTAH!!

It's the absolutely perfect location. Roughly halfway between Las Vegas and Salt Lake City, within a day's drive of Los Angeles and Denver, at the junction of I-15 and I-70, with easy access to national parks, mountains, even skiing. It's in the desert, but it doesn't feel nearly as barren as the typical desert feels. Snowmelt (if there is any, which I'm not sure) from the nearby mountains could be used to help provide water for the new city. It's honestly a mystery why Cove Fort hasn't developed, but this could be just the thing to put it on the map.
That's a great location. As another poster, pointed out. Their is massive politics issues, that comes with building a new city, of 5,000,000 in a place where a large group of rural folks already live. Not only would most residents vote to continually shaft your dream project , but you would also face the dangers of obtaining land from thousands of people. Even in the most rural of areas, East of the Mississippi has a really high density compared to the majority of desert counties.

My guess is Texas or Utah.

Texas because theirs empty areas and the way you could easily draw a large amount of people is through affordable in-state tuition for a college. The college student population of Texas, is nearly the size population wise of some of the states mentioned.

Old 10-11-2021, 06:59 AM
sub

4,963 posts, read 3,754,817 times
Utah is a horrid idea. I'd hate to see that beautiful state ruined with overcrowding.
It really is one of the most stunning places on the planet.

There's plenty of decrepit cities in dire need of a rebuild in this country that we shouldn't be building more cities destined for the downfall.

Old 10-11-2021, 07:18 AM

2,029 posts, read 2,360,257 times
I agree with sub. The "They paved over paradise to put in a parking lot" tune fits if you are going to pave over Utah and put in a city of 5M. Why would you destroy what people love and cherish? No water, garbage dumps, traffic and pollution all near some of the best scenery in the world.

I agree that if you were going to stick it in some vast area, stick it in Texas on the plains, ala Dallas. That way the enviornmental impact is less, and there is more space to expand the city.

Old 10-11-2021, 10:53 AM

271 posts, read 294,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sub View Post
Detroit is empty enough to pretty much start over.
Plenty of water, great location in general.
Detroit is largely empty, but 600,000 people still live there and there are no large completely empty areas within city limits in which to create a new city. Yes, there's a lot of abandoned homes, but they're spread out all over the city. Not to mention Detroit metro already has about 5 million people.

I'll suggest Alpena, Michigan or some of the nearby areas (personally I'd propose neighboring Alcona County, which has only 10,000 people). The northeastern part of Michigan's lower peninsula has always struck me as being very underpopulated. It's right next to Lake Huron so there's plenty of fresh water. The climate is rather cold but no worse than Minneapolis or Montreal. And it's less snowy than Grand Rapids, Buffalo, and Syracuse. And with global warming, I'd expect the climate will be more like present-day Detroit or Chicago by mid-century.

Old 10-11-2021, 06:48 PM

8,495 posts, read 8,783,634 times
Cove Fort is an interesting location at the junction of 2 interstates.

It got a late / slow start because of settler-native conflicts. Hence the building of the fort. Settlers preferred the protection of bigger settlements and that pattern continued.

Looks like some local water but I dunno how much there is / available to buy.

The LDS Church may still own a lot of the land near there. If they got involved, they could provide land, capital, assistance with government rulings / breaks, business relocations, employees. If they got cut in at satisfactory level. When does Provo tech sector max out on growth and where do they go next? Would want to check on that.

Maybe Cove Fort could be next Provo, Provo lite or next / planned out Grand Junction?

Last edited by NW Crow; 10-11-2021 at 07:43 PM..

Old 10-11-2021, 06:54 PM

8,495 posts, read 8,783,634 times
65,000 acre T Boone Pickens ranch northeast of Amarillo is for sale. $220 million. On a major river. Would be surprising to become a mega-urban area. Heirs might not sell for that or charge more to sell for that. Distance to interstate and Amarillo (for early stage support) might be barely plausible. Would it recruit and hold workers? Might be an issue.

Didn't see anything bigger for sale currently in a plausible location except maybe a 100,000 acre ranch in southern Arizona.

If the ambition was trimmed from world class city of 5 million to 2nd or 3rd tier US city of 1 million, it becomes more plausible in more possible locations.

Last edited by NW Crow; 10-11-2021 at 07:29 PM..

Old 10-11-2021, 07:53 PM

11,790 posts, read 8,002,955 times
Kinda wish we could channel all those flood waters in Houston to less irrigated lands elsewhere (primarily west) in the state. That and solar / hydro powered desalination would be nice too…

Old 10-11-2021, 08:13 PM

16,554 posts, read 10,621,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
Their is massive politics issues, that comes with building a new city, of 5,000,000 in a place where a large group of rural folks already live.
According to an online mapping tool, there are about 1,600 people living within a 10-mile radius of Cove Fort. If someone has deep enough pockets to create a mega city, they could probably afford to buy out the small number of people who live there now.

Note, I'm not saying that I want to see Cove Fort become a 5-million person megalopolis. Personally, I agree with the sentiment that if someone wants to build a new city, they should re-create a failed existing one, someplace near an adequate water supply. All I'm saying is that if one were dead set on building their huge city in the southwestern desert, Cove Fort would be an appealing location, especially given its position at the junction of two major interstate highways.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City