Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-11-2021, 05:18 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,751,203 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Easy View Post
I don’t think that what you’re saying contradicts mhays25. Yes most workers will be returning to offices in some fashion, but what that fashion is remains to be seen. Many companies are trialing hybrid schedules and that could mean that some companies will need less space because not everyone is there every day. And “most” returning implies that some aren’t and their numbers could be significant even if not the norm.

I predict that office growth will be fairly flat and that there will be winners and losers with underutilized buildings becoming housing.
This is exactly what I think is happening. Cities can either look at this as a threat or opportunity. I think cities should look at this as an opportunity. That’s especially true for a city like DC with office space counts that compete with NYC submarkets but DC only has 700,000 people within 61.4 sq. miles. Personally, I have been waiting for a domino to fall that would force downtown DC to finally reach its potential and become a mixed use 24/7 vibrant downtown instead of an office park. DC’s downtown has the most upside in the entire country because of the size of the footprint.

2Easy, we have been on this website for over a decade and I have been predicting this day would come. I remember my first prediction was regarding the Federal government shrinking their presence and the residential opportunities that would present. Obviously, I never predicted a global pandemic would be the reason but whatever the reason is, we are finally here! The sheer size of downtown DC is massive so the thought of switching maybe half of the buildings to residential is very exciting!

Last edited by MDAllstar; 10-11-2021 at 05:27 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2021, 05:29 PM

2,868 posts, read 2,816,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
Um, where did you get those figures from?
Math. DC Diamond + Seven Corners/Bailey's + Silver Spring + the Hispanic cities in Maryland around College Park/Hyattsville + Huntington = 1.4 million in the same land area as Philadelphia.

And some of those towns are even denser than the DC Diamond itself since they have immigrant communities with high household sizes + 15-20 story condo towers throughout (see Bailey's Crossroads for example).

Old 10-11-2021, 06:56 PM

14,020 posts, read 15,011,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manitopiaaa View Post
Math. DC Diamond + Seven Corners/Bailey's + Silver Spring + the Hispanic cities in Maryland around College Park/Hyattsville + Huntington = 1.4 million in the same land area as Philadelphia.

And some of those towns are even denser than the DC Diamond itself since they have immigrant communities with high household sizes + 15-20 story condo towers throughout (see Bailey's Crossroads for example).
One thing you have to remember is that’s the densest 134 sq miles vs Philly city which is just a 134 sq miles. Especially with how tiny those towns in MD are it’s very gerrymandered.

Like if you switched out Far NE Philly or Roxborough for NE DelCo you’d be talking 1.75M vs 1.4M

Old 10-11-2021, 07:19 PM

14,166 posts, read 9,058,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manitopiaaa View Post

But you presented those figures as being for "Washington." I don't think it that far-fetched that, even if you did list the 135-square-mile figure, someone might read that and assume you were talking about the municipality alone.

You should have presented them as being for "a 135-square-mile area in Washington and its suburbs analogous to the city of Philadelphia" or "an equivalent territory in Greater Washington."

Pardon my nitpicking here, but in this case, the terminology did make a difference.

I assume the territory in question is contiguous, for otherwise, it could be cherry-picking. Huntingdon (Va., I assume), for instance, is separated from the District by Alexandria. Wait — you said "DC Diamond" here, so Arlington and Alexandria are included. Edited to add: But I see btownboss4 points out the same thing in his response. Your territory should be 135 contiguous square miles for a proper comparison.

Last edited by MarketStEl; 10-11-2021 at 07:29 PM..

Old 10-11-2021, 07:32 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,560,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
One thing you have to remember is that’s the densest 134 sq miles vs Philly city which is just a 134 sq miles. Especially with how tiny those towns in MD are it’s very gerrymandered.

Like if you switched out Far NE Philly or Roxborough for NE DelCo you’d be talking 1.75M vs 1.4M
It's not that gerrymandered really, as they all circle the circumference of DC's diamond shape. The DC Beltway is almost a perfect oval shape, and 2 million people inside of it.

Old 10-11-2021, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
It's not that gerrymandered really, as they all circle the circumference of DC's diamond shape. The DC Beltway is almost a perfect oval shape, and 2 million people inside of it.
Most cities aren’t a perfect circle though.

Like Boston goes about 1500 feet northwest from city hall but 8 miles Southwest. And NE Philly is 26 sq miles with 5500 ppsm, NE DelCo can add ~150,000 if you flip them out.

Same with like Chestnut Hill.

Old 10-11-2021, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Most cities aren’t a perfect circle though.

Like Boston goes about 1500 feet northwest from city hall but 8 miles Southwest. And NE Philly is 26 sq miles with 5500 ppsm, NE DelCo can add ~150,000 if you flip them out.

Same with like Chestnut Hill.
Right but the point was being made that DC's original diamond is 1.1 million in 102 sq mi while Philadelphia is 1.6 million in 134 sq mi. Adding only immediate adjacent jurisdictions that are incredibly dense along the DC border you get to about 1.4 million people in the same 134 sq miles that would be total Philadelphia regardless of that city's shape. What I just described for DC wouldn't be an exact perfect circle either, but it's all one urban mass. DC is still a bit less, but with growth trends should make up the rest of that difference within the next 10-15 years.

The "border" between DC and Maryland:

https://www.google.com/maps/@38.9623...7i13312!8i6656

Last edited by the resident09; 10-11-2021 at 09:04 PM..

Old 10-11-2021, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
Right but the point was being made that DC's original diamond is 1.1 million in 102 sq mi while Philadelphia is 1.6 million in 134 sq mi. Adding only immediate adjacent jurisdictions that are incredibly dense along the DC border you get to about 1.4 million people in the same 134 sq miles that would be total Philadelphia regardless of that city's shape. What I just described for DC wouldn't be an exact perfect circle either, but it's all one urban mass. DC is still a bit less, but with growth trends should make up the rest of that difference within the next 10-15 years.
But it’s not apples to apples

Old 10-11-2021, 09:17 PM

7,270 posts, read 10,593,477 times
Quote:
Right. I think the point about population density has been over-discussed at this point. As you and the data indicate, Philadelphia has a notably more densely populated city proper/environs compared to DC. Not a "blowout" certainly, but it is a fact of the matter.

I'm much more inclined to go along with the hair-splitting about the comparative densities of the built environment over comparatively large areas in/around DC and Philly, which is an actual debate.

Old 10-11-2021, 09:18 PM

Quote:
That's what manitopiaa's point is. It's not apples to apples at all, and never will be unless DC annexes boundaries around it. The only way to make it as close as possible from apples to apples comparison, is to tally up chunks of the immediate bordering adjacent jurisdictions that are contiguous extensions of DC, but you cross the street and are in another jurisdiction.

If this street were in Philly you'd still be in the city. In DC you've crossed into MD by walking across the street. This is more analogous to LA/LA County to be honest, with regards to the contiguity with lack of drop off.

https://www.google.com/maps/@38.9833...7i16384!8i8192

So you go around the borderline just like this area here, and tally up in as close to an even contiguous land mass as you can, to gather up the 32 sq mi difference of Philadelphia proper and the 102 sq mi District diamond. Simply looking at an overhead map of this it's pretty clear what is contiguous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City