Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-29-2021, 04:15 AM

14,169 posts, read 9,064,342 times

Advertisements

18Montclair: So did he do one for DF as well as DC?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2021, 09:32 AM

6,083 posts, read 10,700,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan1982 View Post
Mexico City is enormous, what the hell are you taking about.
I’ve literally explained it twice. Mexico City is very dense so it doesn’t cover a large area. Compared to the places I listed, at least.

Old 10-29-2021, 09:52 AM

14,020 posts, read 15,011,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezter View Post
I’ve literally explained it twice. Mexico City is very dense so it doesn’t cover a large area. Compared to the places I listed, at least.
Nobody considered SFH on 3/4ths on an acre the city though.

In terms of what People call a city Mexico City is very large

Old 10-29-2021, 10:10 AM

6,083 posts, read 10,700,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post

Again, talking about two different things. I agree.

Old 10-29-2021, 11:59 AM

6,474 posts, read 4,071,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post

3/4ths acre lots basically don’t exist in DFW and Houston though, they might have maybe 10% or less of these type of lots as Philly, Atlanta, NYC or Boston. The urban sprawl is well over 90%+ houses packed in together at roughly 5,000 ppsm-10,000 ppsm if not higher, and the only reason density is lower in Houston is because of ROW, old neighborhoods that were considered too ghetto to redevelop, parkland and extensive industrial and commercial areas.

Mission Bend- which is a neighborhood where only the houses are counted and some of its major streets ROW is literally excluded from the CDP for some reason has a density of 7,700 ppsm and is on the outskirts of Houston and typical for Houston development.

Mission Bend is 100% suburban, but every immigrant I’ve ever met from a 3rd world country considered it the city. It’s only Americans that exclusively exclude low dense suburban places form the city. Mexicans I’ve met in America (Not Mexican Americans) actually include the suburban sprawl as city-folk too, even though their suburban sprawl is many times denser than American.

The Woodlands for example is a popular city destination for Mexican tourists and wealthy Urbanites from Mexico even though it’s obviously suburban.

Old 10-29-2021, 02:20 PM

1,348 posts, read 880,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
3/4ths acre lots basically don’t exist in DFW and Houston though, they might have maybe 10% or less of these type of lots as Philly, Atlanta, NYC or Boston. The urban sprawl is well over 90%+ houses packed in together at roughly 5,000 ppsm-10,000 ppsm if not higher, and the only reason density is lower in Houston is because of ROW, old neighborhoods that were considered too ghetto to redevelop, parkland and extensive industrial and commercial areas.

Mission Bend- which is a neighborhood where only the houses are counted and some of its major streets ROW is literally excluded from the CDP for some reason has a density of 7,700 ppsm and is on the outskirts of Houston and typical for Houston development.

Mission Bend is 100% suburban, but every immigrant I’ve ever met from a 3rd world country considered it the city. It’s only Americans that exclusively exclude low dense suburban places form the city. Mexicans I’ve met in America (Not Mexican Americans) actually include the suburban sprawl as city-folk too, even though their suburban sprawl is many times denser than American.

The Woodlands for example is a popular city destination for Mexican tourists and wealthy Urbanites from Mexico even though it’s obviously suburban.
It probably depends on the city. Most people consider the whole ATL area to just be "ATL". But in the Twin Cities, you'll have people correct the fact that the Mall of America is not in Minneapolis but in Bloomington.

Old 11-07-2021, 03:37 AM

444 posts, read 282,865 times
The best Montreal Drone Video yet

Montreal

Old 11-07-2021, 06:16 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,162,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezter View Post
How? Metro Houston/DFW alone are much larger than Metro Mexico City in area. Mexico City doesn’t come close to Chicago, LA or NYC in scale.
Have you even been to Mexico City? If not, grab a window seat and fly into it after Sunset and prepare yourself to be amazed. It may not be a necessarily tall city, but it's broad and very dense for miles and miles and miles.

Old 11-07-2021, 09:36 AM

2,991 posts, read 3,421,828 times
I don't know about the largest, but Seattle would do pretty well from visual standpoint. The seven hills of neighborhoods also create a sense of size and density, especially the area around Lake Union. Seattle feels much larger than its 700,000 population. SF and Miami would probably beat Seattle though. Disagree that Houston (2.3 million population) looks a tier larger visually unless you are impressed with size of sprawl and big box strips everywhere. The guys here saying Houston looks visually more impressive than Mexico City simply don't have a clue.

Downtown Seattle, own photo

Westlake neighborhood in Seattle driving along I-5, own photo

Last edited by Guineas; 11-07-2021 at 10:12 AM..

Old 11-07-2021, 11:01 AM

8,859 posts, read 6,859,567 times
You used the lightly-populated north end of Lake Union. The south end is denser, albeit with some properties yet to develop. https://www.google.com/maps/@47.6298.../data=!3m1!1e3

San Francisco is the clear answer here.

Seattle would be down the list below Boston, Philly, and DC. We'd score well based on core districts, but not as well on a broader level.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City