Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2021, 01:33 PM

7,270 posts, read 10,593,477 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
So you are looking for tall buildings? Center City is tiny compared to the DC urban core of 12-15 story buildings. DC's footprint is like 4 times larger. A drone can fly over Center City in a matter of a few seconds because the footprint is so tiny and then you would be back to row-houses. I noticed these drone videos just watch from a distance. Do you think that's why they don't flyover? Because of how short the flyover would be?
Do you honestly believe that DC's core is four times larger than Philly's? I mean, really?

Generously, using a mapping calculator, I think you can argue 50% larger (around 3 sq. miles including the traditional boundaries of Center City and University City) versus approximately 4.5 miles of DC's commercial/office core and intensely commercial surrounding neighborhoods (I even included Georgetown, which is a pretty liberal definition of DC's core).

But again, it comes down to urban intensity within that core area. For most, high-rise intensity carries substantial weight regarding perceived urbanism over a geographically larger low-to-mid-rise core.

And the second drone video I posted certainly does traverse over/near Center City at many different vantage points, so I'm not sure where that comment comes from.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2021, 02:35 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,751,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
Do you honestly believe that DC's core is four times larger than Philly's? I mean, really?

Generously, using a mapping calculator, I think you can argue 50% larger (around 3 sq. miles including the traditional boundaries of Center City and University City) versus approximately 4.5 miles of DC's commercial/office core and intensely commercial surrounding neighborhoods (I even included Georgetown, which is a pretty liberal definition of DC's core).

But again, it comes down to urban intensity within that core area. For most, high-rise intensity carries substantial weight regarding perceived urbanism over a geographically larger low-to-mid-rise core.

And the second drone video I posted certainly does traverse over/near Center City at many different vantage points, so I'm not sure where that comment comes from.
What boundaries did you use for DC? Could you go by street to make it easier to understand?

Old 12-08-2021, 03:34 PM

5,347 posts, read 10,157,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
I'm sorry, but I am not seeing it at all. DC's strongest visual attribute is from the street level imo. Aerial views are underwhelming.

Underwhelming? LOL Philly doesn't have the same level of canyon effect DC does mile after mile.

Old 12-08-2021, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joakim3 View Post
Solid walls of 3 story row homes diffused w/ 5-6 story mid-rise with no breaks in street grid is eons different in feel and function then your DT bordering SGH with a lawns and forested backyards.

By your logic NOMA shouldn’t be considered core DC because it like Center City bordered by 2-3 story row homes to the north and west with zero transition.

I’m saying as a person who’s lived in the District
NOMA/Union Market is the eastern end of the DC urban core. I addressed this in the past, I’ll try to find the conversation.

Quote:
Well, if we are including rowhomes and small apartment buildings as the urban core, then I guess DC and Boston have urban cores that go to their municipal borders. What about Philadelphia though? Philly doesn’t have the small apartment buildings mixed with rowhouses seen in DC and Boston. It’s largely just rowhouses.
Quote:
I’m talking about south Philadelphia which has been the center of the discussion the last few pages. You may not have had time to read the last couple pages. Also, our discussion has been about size and height of buildings, not use in relation to feel. For context, a rowhouse that is 2-3 stories with 4-6 story apartment buildings mixed in is what we mean. Not a sea of 2-3 story rowhouses where some are apartments and others are single family homes. Urban core means the feeling of taller buildings. 2-3 stories is the same height as detached single family homes.

Old 12-08-2021, 03:46 PM

3,527 posts, read 2,321,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
Underwhelming? LOL Philly doesn't have the same level of canyon effect DC does mile after mile.
…DC still doesn’t look visually bigger despite having a larger core.

Old 12-08-2021, 03:49 PM

Quote:
NOMA/Union Market is the eastern end of the DC urban core. I addressed this in the past, I’ll try to find the conversation.
Just as Washington Square is the southern end of Philly’s core or Old city is the eastern terminus. All these cities have cores large enough where there’s multiple subdivisions

Again to the topic at hand, DC has the the larger core. No one is debating that.

Philly objectively still visually looks larger

Old 12-08-2021, 03:55 PM

Quote:
…DC still doesn’t look visually bigger despite having a larger core.
So I have a question about rowhouses.

Is this type of street still the urban core of Philadelphia?

Philadelphia Street

Old 12-08-2021, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Just as Washington Square is the southern end of Philly’s core or Old city is the eastern terminus. All these cities have cores large enough where there’s multiple subdivisions

Again to the topic at hand, DC has the the larger core. No one is debating that.

Philly objectively still visually looks larger
This I agree with. I have never disputed that. Philadelphia has rowhouses for miles upon miles and the city is twice the size of DC. It's not even close. My point has been about DC looking more intensely built within the urban core because it has the larger urban core.

Old 12-08-2021, 04:02 PM

Quote:

Philadelphia Street
Without a doubt.

If you have to look up in order to see the top of a high-rise/building…. you’re inside the core lol.

Old 12-08-2021, 04:03 PM

2,818 posts, read 2,283,271 times
Quote:

Philadelphia Street

I would argue that looks more urban or stereotypically "big city" than this..

https://www.google.com/maps/@38.8851...7i16384!8i8192

The vertical density isn't as consistently tall (although there are tall buildings in view), but horizontal density is greater.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City