Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2021, 09:02 AM

11,803 posts, read 8,012,998 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nadnerb View Post
One thing that limits Seattle's claim to walkability, in my opinion, is how wide the roads there are. There's quite a few roads that look like this in the city:

South Lake Union near the Space Needle
Fremont
Ballard
Denny Triangle
Just south of Downtown

Narrow travel lanes are empirically much safer for pedestrians and generally provide a much more pleasant experience. I can't speak for Denver in this regard, but it was something that surprised me when visiting Seattle.
Seattle roads are pretty narrow by most American standards. There are some decently wide parkways / avenues in the suburbs but otherwise Seattle roads are not what I would classify as wide.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2021, 09:18 AM

211 posts, read 136,986 times
Quote:
One thing that limits Seattle's claim to walkability, in my opinion, is how wide the roads there are. There's quite a few roads that look like this in the city:

Fremont
Ballard
Denny Triangle
Just south of Downtown

Narrow travel lanes are empirically much safer for pedestrians and generally provide a much more pleasant experience. I can't speak for Denver in this regard, but it was something that surprised me when visiting Seattle.
I'll show ya a bit: we have our fair share of stroads (high-speed, wide roads that prioritize traffic movement)

We also have a couple pleasant, 2-way commercial strips further from downtown.

In the grand scheme of things, Denver looks more like the former than the latter. The 'feel' is much more of a car town than Seattle, from an urban planning / infrastructure perspective.

Colorado Blvd/Alameda

Colfax Ave/Sherman

Speer Blvd/Alcott St

Last edited by boomtown boi; 11-10-2021 at 10:12 AM..

Old 11-10-2021, 09:47 AM

8,864 posts, read 6,869,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wile E. Coyote View Post
I don't see that comparing these two cities works as they are so completely different.

I'd say the major difference is the PNW attracts old souls and Denver is a much younger place.

Seattle is on the water. The PNW is drop dead gorgeous. The only place for food is SF Bay area and Napa Valley.

Seattle has a much larger percentage of 20-somethings. The 20-24 group (the only convenient increment the Census Dept. breaks out) was something like 8% for Seattle and 6% for Denver in 2018. This is due to the UW being in Seattle itself plus the constant wave of incoming tech grads. It's despite Seattle being more expensive for housing, made possible by a lot of people going with the $2,500 apartment + no car route.

Old 11-10-2021, 02:25 PM

4,833 posts, read 5,735,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
Seattle has a much larger percentage of 20-somethings. The 20-24 group (the only convenient increment the Census Dept. breaks out) was something like 8% for Seattle and 6% for Denver in 2018. This is due to the UW being in Seattle itself plus the constant wave of incoming tech grads. It's despite Seattle being more expensive for housing, made possible by a lot of people going with the $2,500 apartment + no car route.
Yeah, confused by other poster about old souls and Seattle. Both are great for young energetic people.

They aren't AZ or FL

Old 11-10-2021, 02:31 PM

2,991 posts, read 3,422,447 times
If anything Seattle needs some more old souls and older people. The young transplants vote in the batsh*t crazy politicians.

Old 11-10-2021, 05:00 PM

211 posts, read 136,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post

Old souls doesn't necessarily mean old people - I was thinking more like people into reading books, having a quiet conversation in a coffee shop, cozying up with the cats inside during a rainy day (regardless of actual age). VS the go-go girls, many of whom need to be out doing something active/high octane all the time (again, regardless of age).

Old 11-10-2021, 05:15 PM

7,566 posts, read 3,248,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boomtown boi View Post
Old souls doesn't necessarily mean old people - I was thinking more like people into reading books, having a quiet conversation in a coffee shop, cozying up with the cats inside during a rainy day (regardless of actual age). VS the go-go girls, many of whom need to be out doing something active/high octane all the time (again, regardless of age).

Exactly. Old souls can be young.

Denver is young; more family oriented; more of the here and now rather than the live dead people in the PNW. I mean, the introspective in the PNW.

Old 11-10-2021, 05:23 PM

2,991 posts, read 3,422,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wile E. Coyote View Post
Denver is young; more family oriented; more of the here and now rather than the live dead people in the PNW. I mean, the introspective in the PNW.
Wtf. Bitter much?

Old 11-10-2021, 05:39 PM

7,566 posts, read 3,248,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guineas View Post
Wtf. Bitter much?

Not at all. I love the PNW. We love our dead time (I mean down time).

Old 11-11-2021, 03:10 AM

6,378 posts, read 5,002,937 times
Quote:

Fremont
Ballard
Denny Triangle
Just south of Downtown
I agree that Seattle's urbanity is a bit overstated, but this seems very universal for American cities. Even in Chicago there are tons of 4-lane arterial streets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City