Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2021, 11:00 PM

158 posts, read 167,833 times

Advertisements

They both have documentaries on their decline.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nAbF2bKo2Fs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpAi70WWBlw

Really scenic cities both are but they do have their issues, certainly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2021, 06:24 AM

8,603 posts, read 14,879,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soldierlifter View Post
They both have documentaries on their decline.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nAbF2bKo2Fs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpAi70WWBlw

Really scenic cities both are but they do have their issues, certainly.
The Denver video is produced by a right-wing hack named Steffan Tubbs. It's not biased or anything.

Old 10-14-2021, 07:49 AM

4,833 posts, read 5,730,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
The Denver video is produced by a right-wing hack named Steffan Tubbs. It's not biased or anything.
Yeah I never pay attention to these types of videos. Everyone has an agenda when putting things out like this.

Denver has it's problems but it's not on the brink of apocalypse.

And I don't think the PNW is either, regardless of what the media says.

Both beautiful places.

I haven't lived in Seattle but grew up in Portland so can't speak to the Seattle itself but I would agree landscape wise the Seattle is probably more beautiful.

Denver is pretty flat and brown but with the mountains close by, it has endless outdoor activities nearby.

Old 10-14-2021, 09:42 AM

8,856 posts, read 6,848,510 times
These are hit pieces by fox news equivalents.

They're not all wrong, but they certainly use every inch of negative they can find.

The Seattle I live in (edge of Downtown) is actually pretty prosperous and vibrant even during Covid. We have a homeless issue and shoplifting issue made worse by a lack of enforcement, but it's nothing like the few hotspots.

The hotspots seem to be getting better too. The City, the County, and non-profit world have been buying cheap hotels and even a few completed apartment buildings (vacancies were high a year ago, before filling up at record levels today) to get homeless off the streets.

Old 10-14-2021, 10:54 AM

12,812 posts, read 9,536,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkwensky View Post
Thanks. It was time for a move. I was a bit disappointed by the summer here as it gets pretty hot too, but the city itself offers a lot of things that I like. I think there are actually more amenities catered toward those with geeky inclinations here than in Houston (independent bookstores, game cafes, axe throwing, etc).
I managed to find good Japanese, Vietnamese and Indian food in Denver. I actually liked the Nepali-operated Indian establishments common here better than the authentic ones found in Houston. I just couldn't handle the heat. I didn't find any Chinese place that's more than just ok, and the Iranian place I tried was pretty bad. Do you have any place to recommend?
Yeah the food won't come close to Houston and obviously diversity is way behind. But Denver is big enough to have everything you want.

I was back in Texas for about 10 days as I was seriously thinking about establishing my final home base there because my family is there and the COL is incredibly affordable. But, mid October, it was still pretty hot at night. Like humid hot. Not sure I can handle.

I think the places off of Federal are decent but you have to lower your standards compared to Houston, regarding recommendations.

Old 10-14-2021, 11:33 AM

211 posts, read 136,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post

I was back in Texas for about 10 days as I was seriously thinking about establishing my final home base there because my family is there and the COL is incredibly affordable. But, mid October, it was still pretty hot at night. Like humid hot. Not sure I can handle.

Not if you move to El Paso. Was just there, and the temps at night are perfection right now (even the daytime isn't bad; the sun is intense, but didn't seem any worse than Denver tbh). It's also a very easygoing, underrated, and under the radar kind of city - like an L.A./Denver hybrid without the pretension/congestion. Downtown you can feel a renaissance is on the cusp, and it was probably happening more rapidly before Covid.

And it is still crazy cheap - like you balk at the prices in nice, historic neighborhoods kind of cheap. I know property taxes are higher in Texas, but still. Now I know how people felt seeing Front Range real estate in the 90's/early aughts.

Old 10-14-2021, 11:46 AM

211 posts, read 136,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Yeah there's not a single locally owned business anymore. It's all Chipotle and In-N-Out. All the taco shops in Thornton are now Taco Bells.

Lol. Some hyperbole for sure, but it does seem the city (esp. central/Downtown) is trending towards a more generic restaurant/beverage scene. The choices in the now-ubiquitous food halls may not be chains per se, but it's all the same overpriced and ho-hum crap. I do love me some North/South Federal taco shops, but you really need to seek out the good stuff.

All that being said, Seattle may be experiencing a similar trend - it could just be a side effect of the corporate tech cities becoming fully washed in not just gentrification, but a certain kind of monoculture. I've heard San Francisco has suffered (and currently suffers) from this effect.

Old 10-14-2021, 12:05 PM

8,856 posts, read 6,848,510 times
Tech doesn't bring monoculture. Rather it brings a lot of people from other countries, primarily Asia, who bring their tastes with them.

Seattle is losing some wierdness because it's expensive. But it's getting more international at the same time. Corporations (tech mostly) are a big part of that.

It looks like another boost will be continued fast growth in international air travel, wihich already doubled in recent years (an advantage over Denver already) but will grow again with our new arrivals terminal eliminating a big bottleneck.

We have some pressure valves that will keep us from becoming another San Francisco. One is that growth is a lot easier here (the denser forms at least), due to policy and existing land uses. Another is Tacoma...it's a much cheaper sibling with a lot of room and interest in growth.

Old 10-14-2021, 12:27 PM

2,848 posts, read 2,166,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Yeah the food won't come close to Houston and obviously diversity is way behind. But Denver is big enough to have everything you want.

I think the places off of Federal are decent but you have to lower your standards compared to Houston, regarding recommendations.
South Federal reminds me of Houston.
Like someone else said El Paso and Amarillo are still cheap, but they might be so far from your folks you might as well be out of state.

Old 10-14-2021, 12:29 PM

2,848 posts, read 2,166,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boomtown boi View Post
Lol. Some hyperbole for sure, but it does seem the city (esp. central/Downtown) is trending towards a more generic restaurant/beverage scene. The choices in the now-ubiquitous food halls may not be chains per se, but it's all the same overpriced and ho-hum crap. I do love me some North/South Federal taco shops, but you really need to seek out the good stuff.
Unfortunately I agree. I don't even bother checking out the new halls that opened.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City