Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2021, 11:30 PM

8,858 posts, read 6,859,567 times

Advertisements

Whoa. Bad comparison.

Don't look at "bridge length." Look at "span." The Tappan Zee is a series of small spans.

The distance from shore to shore isn't relevant. It's the distance between supports -- that's the real meaning of "span."

The Tappan Zee is nothing like this challenge, by orders of magnitude. Here's another: giant oceangoing ships need to go under the bridge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2021, 11:59 PM

405 posts, read 394,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
Whoa. Bad comparison.

Don't look at "bridge length." Look at "span." The Tappan Zee is a series of small spans.

The distance from shore to shore isn't relevant. It's the distance between supports -- that's the real meaning of "span."

The Tappan Zee is nothing like this challenge, by orders of magnitude. Here's another: giant oceangoing ships need to go under the bridge.
Wow true. Didn’t realize it was so deep as well. The Hudson is no where near as deep. Yeah there seems to be no no real good alternative to ferries

Old 11-02-2021, 06:17 AM

2,991 posts, read 3,420,434 times
Wouldn’t want a bridge across the sound. The ferries work fine and is quite pleasant. Don’t need more suburban sprawl.

Old 11-02-2021, 10:25 AM

7,541 posts, read 17,230,694 times
Seattle definitely does not want to turn Kitsap into a suburban bedroom county. We have enough of that in Southeast Pierce County and it's terrible for the environment.

We've spent hundreds of millions of dollars to continue growing upwards rather than outwards, limiting the bad land use policies of the 1990s and before, and densifying certain suburbs like Federal Way and Lynnwood. We have a ton of room to grow without effectively annexing (in a land use sense) low density surrounding counties.

I've only been to Denver a couple times, but it always seemed pretty low-key and maybe even a little boring to me. But, I was only there a few days max, compared to the years I've lived in Seattle, so it will always be an unfair comparison for me.

I will say the friend I had who moved to Seattle quickly moved back to Denver, and another friend who moved to Denver quickly left and moved back to the east coast. So, I think both cities are places you either really love, or have a very hard time adjusting to. There doesn't seem to be a lot of "middle ground" type folks that you'd find in a metro like Phoenix or Central Florida.

Old 11-02-2021, 10:56 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,301,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabogitlu View Post
Seattle definitely does not want to turn Kitsap into a suburban bedroom county. We have enough of that in Southeast Pierce County and it's terrible for the environment.

We've spent hundreds of millions of dollars to continue growing upwards rather than outwards, limiting the bad land use policies of the 1990s and before, and densifying certain suburbs like Federal Way and Lynnwood. We have a ton of room to grow without effectively annexing (in a land use sense) low density surrounding counties.

I've only been to Denver a couple times, but it always seemed pretty low-key and maybe even a little boring to me. But, I was only there a few days max, compared to the years I've lived in Seattle, so it will always be an unfair comparison for me.

I will say the friend I had who moved to Seattle quickly moved back to Denver, and another friend who moved to Denver quickly left and moved back to the east coast. So, I think both cities are places you either really love, or have a very hard time adjusting to. There doesn't seem to be a lot of "middle ground" type folks that you'd find in a metro like Phoenix or Central Florida.
Seattle is honestly the same, neither are known for being exciting cities necessarily. But boring is a really weird way to describe these pretty large cities.

Old 11-02-2021, 11:14 AM

211 posts, read 136,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Seattle is honestly the same, neither are known for being exciting cities necessarily. But boring is a really weird way to describe these pretty large cities.

Honestly it's not the same - based on my time there, Seattle is absolutely more of an active/exciting city than Denver, both in nightlife and things to do. It's more dense, the neighborhoods are more walkable with business/bar districts beyond the core (i.e. Ballard), and the vibe is more cosmopolitan.

Now I wouldn't say Denver is boring, but it's just not in the same league. And for whatever progress Denver is making to add those amenities, Seattle is adding more at faster rate. I wish people here could just appreciate the Front Range for the things we do excel at (better access to mountain towns, more laid back, sunny days/better climate), rather than trying to claim Denver is on the same level of cool, exciting, etc. as Seattle. Tis not.

Last edited by boomtown boi; 11-02-2021 at 11:27 AM..

Old 11-02-2021, 11:29 AM

503 posts, read 800,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boomtown boi View Post
Honestly it's not the same - based on my time there, Seattle is absolutely more of an active/exciting city than Denver, both in nightlife and things to do. It's more dense, the neighborhoods are more walkable with business/bar districts beyond the core (i.e. Ballard), and the vibe is more cosmopolitan.

Now I wouldn't say Denver is boring, but it's just not in the same league. And for whatever progress Denver is making to add those amenities, Seattle is adding more at faster rate. I wish people here could just appreciate the Front Range for the things we do excel at (better access to mountain towns, more laid back, better weather IMO), rather than trying to claim Denver is on the same level of cool, exciting, etc. as Seattle. Tis not.
It’s like some people are on a mission to “humble” Denverites, which is weird. If people think Denver is a cool place then that’s their opinion. Plenty do.

Old 11-02-2021, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gfitz1010 View Post
It’s like some people are on a mission to “humble” Denverites, which is weird. If people think Denver is a cool place then that’s their opinion. Plenty do.

I never said it wasn't a cool place... But yeah I'd consider myself a humble Denverite, and not the boasting/'it's better here than anywhere else' kind. Every place has its strengths/weaknesses, and I don't see the purpose in sugarcoating it.

Old 11-02-2021, 11:35 AM

503 posts, read 800,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boomtown boi View Post
I never said it wasn't a cool place... But yeah I'd consider myself a humble Denverite, and not the boasting/it's better here than anywhere else kind.
I mean good for you I suppose? I have yet to see anyone boost Denver in this thread.

Old 11-02-2021, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gfitz1010 View Post
I mean good for you I suppose? I have yet to see anyone boost Denver in this thread.

Spend some time here in Denver, or browse some 'best cities for XYZ' lists; you'll find it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City