Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2021, 03:28 PM

4,833 posts, read 5,729,849 times

Advertisements

The perception/hype of Denver may sometimes be it's downfall.

Denver and Colorado as a whole is generally on the "most wanted to visit" places that sometimes it just can't live up to the hype.

It isn't paradise but it's also not a hell hole.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2021, 04:24 PM

211 posts, read 136,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IShootNikon View Post
The perception/hype of Denver may sometimes be it's downfall.

Denver and Colorado as a whole is generally on the "most wanted to visit" places that sometimes it just can't live up to the hype.

It isn't paradise but it's also not a hell hole.

Exactly. I think this is the issue with anyplace that is overhyped; the reality can be a letdown.

I will say the state as a whole does a better job living up to the hype than the city. I love the West/Southwest, and I continue to enjoy exploring out here.

Old 11-02-2021, 07:28 PM

16,507 posts, read 26,285,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boomtown boi View Post
Honestly it's not the same - based on my time there, Seattle is absolutely more of an active/exciting city than Denver, both in nightlife and things to do. It's more dense, the neighborhoods are more walkable with business/bar districts beyond the core (i.e. Ballard), and the vibe is more cosmopolitan.

Now I wouldn't say Denver is boring, but it's just not in the same league. And for whatever progress Denver is making to add those amenities, Seattle is adding more at faster rate. I wish people here could just appreciate the Front Range for the things we do excel at (better access to mountain towns, more laid back, sunny days/better climate), rather than trying to claim Denver is on the same level of cool, exciting, etc. as Seattle. Tis not.
Nightlife in Seattle is kind of known for being mediocre, as well as Denver. I tried going out in Fremont but couldn't really find anything besides a gay bar we didn't fit in with.
Same league? People on this site really boost Seattle at every turn they can. Denver and Seattle are nearly identical as far as size/amenities. Seattle really isn't on a higher tier than Denver at all.
Quote:
I never said it wasn't a cool place... But yeah I'd consider myself a humble Denverite, and not the boasting/'it's better here than anywhere else' kind. Every place has its strengths/weaknesses, and I don't see the purpose in sugarcoating it.
No one is sugercoating it. You're just boosting Seattle like its on San Francisco's level or something.

Old 11-02-2021, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Exactly. I think this is the issue with anyplace that is overhyped; the reality can be a letdown.

I will say the state as a whole does a better job living up to the hype than the city. I love the West/Southwest, and I continue to enjoy exploring out here.
Anyone who thinks any city is perfect is probably very naive or young. Its like someone moving to New York and thinking that the subway was actually clean.

Old 11-02-2021, 07:55 PM

Quote:
You’re kinda proving that poster right about the boosterism…
I never said Denver is in another league. I just said Seattle is nearly identical to Denver as far a size/amenities.

Old 11-02-2021, 10:29 PM

365 posts, read 229,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Nightlife in Seattle is kind of known for being mediocre, as well as Denver. I tried going out in Fremont but couldn't really find anything besides a gay bar we didn't fit in with.
Same league? People on this site really boost Seattle at every turn they can. Denver and Seattle are nearly identical as far as size/amenities. Seattle really isn't on a higher tier than Denver at all.

No one is sugercoating it. You're just boosting Seattle like its on San Francisco's level or something.
I stayed in a hostel in Fremont and the nightlife in that neighborhood was pretty bad. But I’ve found several other areas of Seattle which I thought had good nightlife: Capitol Hill, Ballard, and Belltown were all fun with lots of options. I also enjoyed Greenwood and West Seattle. Georgetown was pretty cool for some edgier nightlife. Pioneer Square on game days is wild.

But big picture, I generally agree - Seattle and Denver are fairly similar when it comes to nightlife. Both are decent, neither are great. Id probably give Seattle the slight edge in nightlife, but not by much. Same tier for sure.

Old 11-03-2021, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Anyone who thinks any city is perfect is probably very naive or young. Its like someone moving to New York and thinking that the subway was actually clean.
...What? Who thinks that? I've literally never heard anyone say the subway in NYC is clean, nor would I have any reason to believe it. Meanwhile fluff pieces like this abound re: Denver, so people who haven't spent much time here may think Denver is this inland Nirvana.

Old 11-03-2021, 08:27 AM

8,603 posts, read 14,877,226 times
Quote:
...What? Who thinks that? I've literally never heard anyone say the subway in NYC is clean, nor would I have any reason to believe it. Meanwhile fluff pieces like this abound re: Denver, so people who haven't spent much time here may think Denver is this inland Nirvana.
Did you look at the date on that article? It's almost 6 years old. I doubt you'll find it on the front page of the Today Show website. Pretty sure you can find similar articles bragging about how amazeballs Seattle is, too.

Old 11-03-2021, 08:34 AM

Quote:
I never said Denver is in another league. I just said Seattle is nearly identical to Denver as far a size/amenities.

Well:

A) The Seattle MSA has about 1 million more people, that's not insignificant.

and B) Size isn't everything, anyway. OKC's metro is similar in size (slightly more) to New Orleans, but I wouldn't say those cities are basically the same in terms of what they offer. One has an easily identifiable local culture, a vibrant and adventurous restaurant/bar scene, architecturally varied/dense/walkable neighborhoods, and a unique take on seafood while the other, while still growing and evolving, is more cookie-cutter/generic in those categories (and understandably lacking in the last one). I could make a very similar argument for Seattle vs. Denver.

Last edited by boomtown boi; 11-03-2021 at 08:44 AM..

Old 11-03-2021, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
Did you look at the date on that article? It's almost 6 years old. I doubt you'll find it on the front page of the Today Show website. Pretty sure you can find similar articles bragging about how amazeballs Seattle is, too.

It's still near the top for 2021-2022 - ranked higher than Seattle, but yes it's fluffy for both places. I just don't see anyone romanticizing the NYC transit system, as was claimed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City