Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is better overall/has a better future?
Baton Rouge 15 27.78%
Jackson 2 3.70%
Montgomery 8 14.81%
Tallahassee 29 53.70%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2021, 12:57 AM

3,881 posts, read 2,191,746 times

Advertisements

Which of these 4 southern capital cities(Baton Rouge, Jackson Tallahassee or Montgomery) has the better economy, nightlife, colleges/universities, quality of life, prospects for future growth?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2021, 02:55 AM

16,682 posts, read 29,499,000 times
Tally.

Old 10-14-2021, 06:55 AM

1,378 posts, read 1,215,943 times
Gonna go with Baton Rouge, the largest metro and fastest growing metro here with probably the best economy overall. LSU is a better school than FSU.

Tallahassee likely has the better quality of life
Future growth is likely going to Baton Rouge

Old 10-14-2021, 07:47 AM

13,611 posts, read 7,911,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surge0001 View Post
LSU is a better school than FSU.
Pah! Say what???

No, lol...it's not.

But to answer the OP...

Tallahassee is a cut above the other three, with Baton Rouge being a distant second.

Montgomery is 3rd, and Jackson is a distant 4th.

Old 10-14-2021, 07:54 AM

4,344 posts, read 2,800,948 times
Baton Rouge because it is only an hour away from New Orleans

Old 10-14-2021, 07:59 AM

Tallahassee doesn't have the violent crime issues that the other three do, which makes a huge difference in terms of the city's "vibe".

Old 10-14-2021, 08:33 AM

1,378 posts, read 1,215,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
Tallahassee doesn't have the violent crime issues that the other three do, which makes a huge difference in terms of the city's "vibe".

Actually in terms of safety from violent crime and crime in general, Montgomery takes the cake. Then it would be Tallahassee with a big gab. Now the other two cities have an even bigger gab from Tallahasseee

Old 10-14-2021, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Actually in terms of safety from violent crime and crime in general, Montgomery takes the cake. Then it would be Tallahassee with a big gab. Now the other two cities have an even bigger gab from Tallahasseee
This is interesting. After looking at the recent numbers, I'm shocked to see how the violent crime rates have taken off in Tallahassee since I moved away from there in 2009.

It appears the stats I had in my mind are now outdated

When I first moved to Tallahassee from Daytona Beach, I remember seeing that violent crime rates were significantly lower in Tallahassee than they were in Daytona.

Now, in doing some research I'm seeing news headlines talking about Leon County having the highest crime rates in the entire state every year from 2014-2019!

Leon County crime rate No. 1 in state for 5th consecutive time, leaders fight to curb crime

What on earth happened???

I echo the sentiments of Pastor Anton Elwood who was interviewed in the above linked article: "This is not the Tallahassee that we know."

Old 10-14-2021, 08:54 AM

3,439 posts, read 3,366,373 times
Quote:
Another comparison thread, where I'll keep tabs on it from time to time. I've only been to Tallahassee and Jackson, but hadn't visited the other 2. I had street viewed a little bit, of each of these 4 cities.

Why is it I get this weird sense Jackson is in the worst shape, of these 4 cities? It seems like that city was once better off, than it is now. See the west side of Jackson on street view near the now dead Metrocenter Mall, for an idea of what I mean. It seems like there is a big city vs. suburbs divide there, except for a handful of north side Jackson neighborhoods like Fondren.

And to a lesser extent, Montgomery has some forgotten and underinvested areas too. I.e. the area near the former Normandale shopping center, and other parts of the south side of this city. I think I need to street view explore Baton Rouge slightly more, but remember noticing in the city stats it also (like Montgomery and Jackson) struggles with crime. At least it has LSU, so it'll get some investment. I still get this impression like another person said, that Tallahassee would be #1, BR #2, and Montgomery #3.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike;62112833[URL="https://www.wtxl.com/news/local-news/report-leon-county-crime-rate-still-highest-in-florida-despite-decrease-in-crime"
Leon County crime rate No. 1 in state for 5th consecutive time, leaders fight to curb crime[/url]

What on earth happened???

I echo the sentiments of Pastor Anton Elwood who was interviewed in the above linked article: "This is not the Tallahassee that we know."
I'll have to read this article. Maybe Tally isn't as runaway #1 ahead of BR, as much as I thought at first glance.

Old 10-20-2021, 11:27 AM

3,881 posts, read 2,191,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trentcr View Post
Overall Tally, though since it was pretty small many decades ago, it's downtown and related footprint small.
Would you say that Tallahassee has a more vibrant downtown?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City