Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best Architecture
Baltimore 14 14.89%
Cleveland 10 10.64%
Detroit 23 24.47%
Pittsburgh 25 26.60%
St. Louis 22 23.40%
Voters: 94. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2021, 10:47 PM

994 posts, read 779,213 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by usroute10 View Post
Detroit has a much larger percentage of brick-facade residences than Cleveland

There are block after blocks after block after block of these brick 2 family flats, especially on the near westside

There are block after block after block after block of these 1930-40's brick single family houses on the outer 3-mile band of the city

Detroit has/had plenty of blocks of monotonous tiny frame early 1900s 'cottages' and bland 40-50's frame bungalows, but Detroit also has a ton of excellent housing stock sprinkled all over the city. Districts like THIS and THIS and THIS, that don't have 'historic' designation, would be the most sought after houses in Sun-Belt cities; but in Detroit they are just 'nice' housing.

You deride the midwest cities for 'samey' feel houses, but aren't rowhouses 'samey'. They all look the same on a particular block for the most part, right? In Detroit, there is monotony, sure, but there are also so many, many blocks where every house is quite different from the rest. IMO, the housing styles of the late 1800s were copied all over the country too.
Yeah, neither Detroit or Cleveland is winning this regardless of street views. Doesn't mean much though. Both have great stock even if more of the ultra urban stuff has been torn down more than any other cities. And especially if you compare amenities vs. price point. ... and you may still get a small yard on top of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2021, 10:59 PM

14,019 posts, read 14,998,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClevelandBrown View Post
Yeah, neither Detroit or Cleveland is winning this regardless of street views. Doesn't mean much though. Both have great stock even if more of the ultra urban stuff has been torn down more than any other cities. And especially if you compare amenities vs. price point. ... and you may still get a small yard on top of it.
Tbh Cleveland has the best civic architecture of the bunch. But it’s residential vernacular is the worst probably. And there are a lot more houses than Severance Halls.

Old 10-25-2021, 11:07 PM

994 posts, read 779,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Tbh Cleveland has the best civic architecture of the bunch. But it’s residential vernacular is the worst probably. And there are a lot more houses than Severance Halls.
It's residential vernacular at the same time is also the most unique, even if it's ugly. You can't mistake a Cleveland double (which have mostly survived while the ultra urban blocks went the way of urban renewal in the 70s/80s).

Old 10-26-2021, 07:33 AM

14,352 posts, read 17,015,156 times
Quote:
You deride the midwest cities for 'samey' feel houses, but aren't rowhouses 'samey'. They all look the same on a particular block for the most part, right? In Detroit, there is monotony, sure, but there are also so many, many blocks where every house is quite different from the rest. IMO, the housing styles of the late 1800s were copied all over the country too.
With rowhouses it depends upon the age they were constructed. Mid/late 19th century attached housing was common, but it was rare for more than 2-3 homes to be built at the same time, leading to quite diverse blocks. It was only in the early 20th century that industrial-scale housing made rows take up entire blocks.

Regardless, my point was more than anything by the early 20th century the local vernaculars were largely vanishing. Somewhere like Detroit has many fine detached brick houses, but for the most part they are variations on the common national styles of the time (American Foursquare and Bungalow in particular). They can make a nice neighborhood, but nothing screams "Detroit."

Old 10-26-2021, 06:27 PM

4,520 posts, read 5,093,240 times
Quote:
Detroit has a much larger percentage of brick-facade residences than Cleveland
You are correct. I was wrong.

Old 10-28-2021, 09:29 AM

5,024 posts, read 5,663,312 times
FWIW... if we are talking specifically about pre-war high rises and volume.. Cleveland has 12 above 200 ft. that are still standing from that time. I am not sure how the other cities in this discussion compare on that stat, but it wouldn't at all surprise me if that number ranks it in the Top 10 nationally, if not maybe globally.

Old 10-28-2021, 10:29 AM

4,177 posts, read 2,955,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavsfan137 View Post
FWIW... if we are talking specifically about pre-war high rises and volume.. Cleveland has 12 above 200 ft. that are still standing from that time. I am not sure how the other cities in this discussion compare on that stat, but it wouldn't at all surprise me if that number ranks it in the Top 10 nationally, if not maybe globally.
Pittsburgh has 10 on one street alone. The 4th Ave towers are in the 300 ft range and some are connected like rowhouses. There are countless others throughout downtown. This does not count others outside of downtown proper.

Old 10-28-2021, 10:48 AM

3,525 posts, read 2,316,290 times
Quote:
Pittsburgh for sure has more as does Detroit. I’d have to look at St. Louis numbers, Baltimore would come last behind Cleveland. It’s skyscraper/high-rises on average are a lot younger than the rest of these cities despite it being historically older city.

Old 10-28-2021, 11:32 AM

1,157 posts, read 1,653,945 times
Quote:
Pretty sure St. Louis, Detroit and Pittsburgh all have at least 12 pre-war highrises. Where are you looking for this info? According to Emporis, St. Louis has 13 highrises over 200 ft that were built before 1940 and still standing.

Old 10-28-2021, 07:19 PM

2,814 posts, read 2,279,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northeasterner1970 View Post

Pittsburgh-St. Louis-Baltimore tie
Detroit slightly below those cities, maybe in 5 years I’ll change my mind if enough areas fill up. Right now I feel like there aren’t a lot of really cohesive historic neighborhoods despite great individual buildings.
Cleveland slightly below Detroit.

That's basically how I would put it.
Baltimore has a very impressive scale with miles upon miles of row houses. But, it has tons of abandonment, and a relatively unimpressive downtown.
Pittsburgh is one of the most unique cities in the US with its rugged river valley topography. It certainly has its blight. But, in many ways it is the healthiest central city of the group. It probably the best skyline and has several intact walk able areas.

St Louis has a nice architectural legacy. But, I would rank it slightly behind the other two. It doesn't have the scale of Baltimore and it isn't quite as revitalized as Pittsburgh.

Cleveland and Detroit has some nice architecture downtown. But, they don't really have the old intact neighborhoods. If you are looking for Great Lakes architecture, Buffalo or Milwaukee (not to mention Chicago) have more intact historic residential districts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City