Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best Architecture
Baltimore 14 14.89%
Cleveland 10 10.64%
Detroit 23 24.47%
Pittsburgh 25 26.60%
St. Louis 22 23.40%
Voters: 94. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2021, 10:23 AM

3,543 posts, read 2,334,832 times

Advertisements

I feel this should be a good thread to show some of the beauty of these historic post-industrial cities. Which would you argue has the “best” architecture?

- Skyscrapers
- Landmarks
- Parks/Urban Design
- Housing
- Train Stations/Public Transit
- Stadiums/Convention centers
- Historic structures
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2021, 11:09 AM

1,320 posts, read 869,899 times
Detroit for sure. It's full of beautiful art deco and gothic-style buildings. It is the only US city to receive the UNESCO City of Design designation

Old 10-14-2021, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nadnerb View Post
Detroit for sure. It's full of beautiful art deco and gothic-style buildings. It is the only US city to receive the UNESCO City of Design designation
Yeah it’s gem for sure

Old 10-14-2021, 11:41 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,042,525 times
They all have their positives and negatives. Going through each.

Baltimore:

Pros - Tons of surviving finely-grained neighborhoods. Oldest housing stock overall, with some early 19th century neighborhoods still surviving. Tight-grained urban fabric. Lots of classic prewar buildings remaining in Downtown.

Cons - Lots of blight. Mediocre skyline. Downtown marred by two many wide high-speed, one-way streets. Outer neighborhood rowhouse styles are very plain and unadorned.

Cleveland:

Pros - Many impressive "monumental" style buildings remain in Downtown area. Some real beauties in University Circle as well.

Cons -Ugliest residential vernacular overall, with most city neighborhoods full of detached 1-2 unit frame boxes.

Detroit:

Pros - A nice selection of monumental-scale prewar midrises remains.

Cons - Relatively little remains intact outside of Downtown, and the surviving intact neighborhoods, although sometimes nice, are pretty suburban in feel.

Pittsburgh:

Pros - Dense, tightly-packed downtown with few parking lots and a nice mix of older and newer buildings. Many intact 19th century brick rowhouse neighborhoods. Less blight than the remainder of the cities.

Cons - Frame neighborhoods (mostly on hills) are much uglier than brick neighborhoods.

St. Louis:

Pros - Cool historic vernacular in neighborhoods like Soulard and Lafayette Square unlike any other city on this list.

Cons - Probably the weakest downtown overall, urban renewal damaged the fabric of the city significantly. It could have been a Philadelphia of the Midwest, but so little was left standing.

Old 10-14-2021, 12:46 PM

14,024 posts, read 15,037,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joakim3 View Post
I feel this should be a good thread to show some of the beauty of these historic post-industrial cities. Which would you argue has the “best” architecture?

- Skyscrapers
- Landmarks
- Parks/Urban Design
- Housing
- Historic structures
Skyscrapers: Detroit

Landmarks: Cleveland

Parks: St Louis

Housing: St Louis

Train Station: Cleveland (if the whole Terminal tower complex counts as a train station, if not Pittsburgh)

Stadiums: Pittsburgh

Historic structures: Baltimore

Overall winner in St Louis since in my opinion Housing matters the most since there is a lot of it.

Old 10-14-2021, 12:53 PM

824 posts, read 714,362 times
All three of these cities have a lot of really good architecture but a lot of Cleveland’s homes are wooden framed houses which don’t have a lot of decorations and Detroit suffers from a dearth of quality pre-1920s architecture. Not to say it doesn’t exist and there aren’t a lot of great examples but it’s lacking compared to the other cities on this list.

Overall I’d put

Pittsburgh-St. Louis-Baltimore tie
Detroit slightly below those cities, maybe in 5 years I’ll change my mind if enough areas fill up. Right now I feel like there aren’t a lot of really cohesive historic neighborhoods despite great individual buildings.
Cleveland slightly below Detroit.

Old 10-14-2021, 02:43 PM

5,296 posts, read 5,246,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joakim3 View Post

- Skyscrapers
- Landmarks
- Parks/Urban Design
- Housing
- Historic structures
Skyscrapers...Cleveland by far...none has a tower as tall as Key Tower or as beautiful as Terminal Tower
Landmarks
Landmarks...St Louis...Gateway Arch is the most iconic landmark of all of these cities
Parks...Cleveland Metroparks rank best in the nation so Cleveland by far
Urban Design...Pittsburgh, the most compact and tightly packed downtown by far
Housing: Baltimore has the oldest and St Louis has the most brick...those 2 tie
Public Transit...Pittsburgh has the most rail I believe followed closely by Cleveland
Stadiums/Convention Centers...Detroit has this I one I believe w/ Ford Field > First Energy Stadium > Heinz Field > M & T Bank Stadium...baseball stadia PNC Park > Progressive Field > Camden Yards > Busch Stadium> Comerica Park...arena...Rocket Mortgage Fieldhouse > Mellon Arena > Palace of Auburn Hills >
Historic Structures: Baltimore

Old 10-14-2021, 03:44 PM

1,160 posts, read 1,659,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohioaninsc View Post
Skyscrapers...Cleveland by far...none has a tower as tall as Key Tower or as beautiful as Terminal Tower
Landmarks
Landmarks...St Louis...Gateway Arch is the most iconic landmark of all of these cities
Parks...Cleveland Metroparks rank best in the nation so Cleveland by far
Urban Design...Pittsburgh, the most compact and tightly packed downtown by far
Housing: Baltimore has the oldest and St Louis has the most brick...those 2 tie
Public Transit...Pittsburgh has the most rail I believe followed closely by Cleveland
Stadiums/Convention Centers...Detroit has this I one I believe w/ Ford Field > First Energy Stadium > Heinz Field > M & T Bank Stadium...baseball stadia PNC Park > Progressive Field > Camden Yards > Busch Stadium> Comerica Park...arena...Rocket Mortgage Fieldhouse > Mellon Arena > Palace of Auburn Hills >
Historic Structures: Baltimore
St. Louis has the largest rail transit network by mileage of all these cities, I don't even think it's close.

Old 10-14-2021, 05:54 PM

10,113 posts, read 9,982,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STLgasm View Post
St. Louis has the largest rail transit network by mileage of all these cities, I don't even think it's close.
St Louis - 46 Miles
Baltimore- 45 Miles

Old 10-14-2021, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
St Louis - 46 Miles
Baltimore- 45 Miles
I figured as much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City