Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Better natural setting?
Atlanta 23 35.38%
Washington DC 42 64.62%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2021, 12:36 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,928,191 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW4me View Post
I've never been to Atlanta (other than changing planes at the airport long ago)
-- does the area get bright autumn colors, or is it too far south for that?
Yes, we have a pretty Fall here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2021, 11:57 AM

7 posts, read 6,297 times
DC has Shenandoah National Park nearby and while the North Georgia mountains are very nice, nothing around Atlanta compares to that level of beauty.

Old 10-27-2021, 12:38 PM

3,444 posts, read 3,372,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by owenpoconnell View Post
DC has Shenandoah National Park nearby and while the North Georgia mountains are very nice, nothing around Atlanta compares to that level of beauty.
It likely depends what type of scenery you more prefer, as to whether you'll like the surrounding areas of DC or Atlanta better. To me I'd rather live near mountains moreso than near water, so I'd go with Atlanta. And I always liked Chattanooga a lot, myself. Plus the Chattahoochie(sp?) River offers a lot of rowing opportunities, as do other rivers in north Georgia.

That said, I would LOVE one day to check out some of the small Chesapeake islands south and east of DC, i.e. Smith Island in Maryland, and also Tangier Island in Virginia. And I always was a big fan of the town of Harpers Ferry, WV. I'm sure there's other hidden gem places in Delmarva Peninsula and also southeast Maryland and northeast Virginia, that don't get discussed very often.

Old 10-27-2021, 06:29 PM

11,790 posts, read 8,002,955 times
If we are talking on a regional level with the entire metro considered and not just the city proper, then Atlanta takes this.

Old 10-27-2021, 10:29 PM

1,534 posts, read 2,771,123 times
In terms of hills, foliage and ravines, equivalent, but if you add water, easily DC. The Potomac is way more spectacular than the Chattahoochee. . .

Old 11-01-2021, 06:16 PM

2,503 posts, read 3,541,008 times
Assuming middle-of-the-night driving...

A two-hour drive from DC encompasses everything from Richmond and Front Royal VA, to Chambersburg and York PA, to Milford DE, to Cambridge and Lexington Park MD. It includes Shenandoah National Park, Gettysburg, and the upper Chesapeake Bay.

A two-hour drive from Atlanta stretches from almost Anderson SC through the hills to almost Chattanooga TN (but not quite), then southwest to Anniston AL, before swinging to encompass Auburn AL, Columbus GA, and Macon GA.

Based on those boundaries: yes, the North Georgia hills are nice, but not nicer than the Blue Ridge, and nothing in central Georgia compares to coastal Delmarva -- or even VA/MD horse country, or PA Amish country.

That said, I've noticed that my friends in Atlanta seem to go hiking more often than my friends in DC. Maybe it's because they're more outdoorsy, maybe the summer weather's better (it is indeed less humid), maybe my friends here prefer city/beach weekends to the mountains.

Assuming rush-hour driving... well, that's the other thread.

Old 11-01-2021, 06:24 PM

2,991 posts, read 3,420,434 times
I voted DC. Proximity to salt water and beaches, in addition to the foothills and trees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City