Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2021, 07:28 AM

5,016 posts, read 3,914,958 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I can't speak for Austin but I'm not at all surprised at Raleigh's ranking. When it comes to core QOL considerations (jobs/incomes, crime, schools, COL, etc.), it really does excel. I know this is all considered boring, cookie-cutter stuff to most here, but these are the most important factors most people look for in a place to live.
No doubt about it. The research triangle has been 1A for QOL when you consider crime, COL, job availability.

Great medical + great higher education + strong R&D and tech/software.

Like everywhere else with a similar equation, it's gotten more and more expensive. But it's still reasonable, all things considered.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2021, 08:14 AM

11 posts, read 8,138 times
How are LA and NY so high? They're bleeding middle class. Unless you're dead broke to the point where you're relying on government assistance (project housing, etc) or rich, being in those cities suck. 80-90% of your check going to rent.

Old 10-22-2021, 08:29 AM

37,131 posts, read 39,380,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegoatman View Post
How are LA and NY so high? They're bleeding middle class. Unless you're dead broke to the point where you're relying on government assistance (project housing, etc) or rich, being in those cities suck. 80-90% of your check going to rent.

Because they are large cities with a lot of different neighborhoods, price points, and things to do. I grew up in one and live in the other. They're losing mostly lower middle class though the upper middle class is arguably growing mostly do to the tech boom.

Old 10-22-2021, 10:09 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,156,607 times
This is testament to the tension between objectivity and subjectivity, and between aspirations and reality. It's influenced by what we know and hear about a place both positively and negatively, and it's about visibility in general that's often attributed to something that sets it apart from the others. (beach in LA, Broadway in NYC, etc.). It's also about the push & pull between culture and data, with culture usually tied to our dreams & data tied to our rational decision making.
I suspect that this survey is over representing our collective imaginations, dreams, aspirations, etc., rather than our actual practical decision making.

Old 10-22-2021, 12:06 PM

12,161 posts, read 7,997,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegoatman View Post
Well.. I mean.. the more expensive a city is, the higher the demand is to move there.

Old 10-22-2021, 12:35 PM

101 posts, read 80,582 times
Portland, OR ... #3 .. LOL!!!!

Obviously this is some sort of a joke, or mistake. It would have to be.

Old 10-22-2021, 12:50 PM

1,320 posts, read 866,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TedMosby View Post

It makes perfect sense if you live in reality and ignore the "omg Portland is burning down and is a war zone!!" narrative that people desperately attempt to push.

Of the places I've lived (including Phoenix), Portland easily has the best quality of life. Hardly surprising that it made the top 10 in overall livability and top 3 in desirability.

Old 10-22-2021, 02:27 PM

4,159 posts, read 2,846,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TedMosby View Post

Portlandia. I’d be surprised if the top half isn’t over represented by shows. Heck, even Jacksonville was a prominent character trait for someone on the Good Place.

Old 10-22-2021, 02:28 PM

4,159 posts, read 2,846,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
This is testament to the tension between objectivity and subjectivity, and between aspirations and reality. It's influenced by what we know and hear about a place both positively and negatively, and it's about visibility in general that's often attributed to something that sets it apart from the others. (beach in LA, Broadway in NYC, etc.). It's also about the push & pull between culture and data, with culture usually tied to our dreams & data tied to our rational decision making.
I suspect that this survey is over representing our collective imaginations, dreams, aspirations, etc., rather than our actual practical decision making.
This is absolute gold.

Old 10-22-2021, 02:39 PM

571 posts, read 1,173,503 times
Portland on the list makes sense to me......I have a few friends that have been traveling down there for work recently and it sounds like they're making good progress on cleaning up from this last year. It's still a great city with awesome surroundings and a great food scene despite the challenges its faced recently.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City