Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: El Paso, TX vs. Bakersfield, CA which city is better?
El Paso, TX 68 75.56%
Bakersfield, CA 22 24.44%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2021, 03:29 PM

41 posts, read 29,167 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
What's there to disagree with here? The air being bad in Bakersfield and worse than that of El Paso doesn't mean that El Paso has good air quality. It just means that Bakersfield has it even worse, and it really is quite bad out there. If air quality matters to you, then Bakersfield certainly wouldn't be a good pick and would be an even worse one than El Paso.
Im in the process of planning a trip to Bakersfield. I imagined Bakersfield smelled like greenery and fresh air. One other city with horrible air pollution is Long Beach, CA. When I go there, my eyes get so watery. Makes me wonder how the air in Bakersfield is like.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2021, 12:29 PM

3,444 posts, read 3,368,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
I spent a summer selling dictionaries door-to-door in El Paso in 1977, so my memories of the place are about as fresh as yours were of Collingswood.

But I remember liking El Paso a lot. It's isolated, true — getting there from points east, you pass through the most sparsely settled part of Texas, with so little in the way of settlement that some of the "interchanges" on I-10 in the county just east of El Paso County were actually at-grade intersections — but the mountains that come down almost all the way to downtown give the city a character no other city in the US that I've seen has. (People associate Denver with mountains, but the mountains begin about a half-hour west of the city itself, closer to Boulder.)

Yes, it's a military city more than it is a college town — Fort Bliss, which borders the city on its northeast, is huge, while UTEP is a branch campus — but it didn't feel military-dominated to me. It does sound like the air quality has deteriorated since I was there. I did find it interesting that you didn't need air conditioning to keep a house cool — the air was dry enough that a swamp cooler did the trick.

I'm not a winterphobe, so the presence of four seasons in the area doesn't faze me. In fact, I enjoyed the Sunday our team went to Ruidoso, drove up into the mountains, and experienced snow falling in July.

But much like my hometown of Kansas City feels like it's not in Missouri, El Paso struck me as more a city in New Mexico than a city in Texas. Certainly the closest other city to it that's in this country is in that state — Las Cruces.

And the presence of Juárez right across the Rio Grande added a different flavor to the area too.

I've never been to Bakersfield, though I know a professor who teaches at Cal State Bakersfield. He seems to think the city is okay — not great, but not awful either. Still, even if it's not really flat, I don't see how it can stack up against all this.
I've never been to Bakersfield, but the one time I ever went to El Paso gave me a good impression of that city. And I'd like to go back, one day. Plus the natural scenery north and east of El Paso and Las Cruces in my mind, would give that area an edge over Bakersfield IMO. Isn't Bakersfield and much of the central valley of CA(i.e. Visalia, Fresno) agricultural? No thanks. And I also like how there are nearby mountains and hiking trails, within the city of El Paso. Plus being right by the Mexico border(and by Juarez), would be a nice bonus IMO.

For anyone more familiar with Bakersfield than me, feel free to respond and post some google street view links to some of its nicer neighborhoods. I'd love to look at some of Bakersfield, and get myself better acquainted with that city. Though I have my doubts that city would surpass El Paso, to me.

Old 10-27-2021, 01:49 PM

2,896 posts, read 1,998,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonySegaTendo617 View Post
I've never been to Bakersfield, but the one time I ever went to El Paso gave me a good impression of that city. And I'd like to go back, one day. Plus the natural scenery north and east of El Paso and Las Cruces in my mind, would give that area an edge over Bakersfield IMO. Isn't Bakersfield and much of the central valley of CA(i.e. Visalia, Fresno) agricultural? No thanks. And I also like how there are nearby mountains and hiking trails, within the city of El Paso. Plus being right by the Mexico border(and by Juarez), would be a nice bonus IMO.

For anyone more familiar with Bakersfield than me, feel free to respond and post some google street view links to some of its nicer neighborhoods. I'd love to look at some of Bakersfield, and get myself better acquainted with that city. Though I have my doubts that city would surpass El Paso, to me.

El paso is an anchor to millions of people. Bakersfield is an anchor to 800k people. That's One reason why El paso is more interesting.

You wouldn't spend much time in Juarez if you lived in El paso. It's a very one sided relationship (juarez tourists trek over and spend their money in El paso)

There's a lot of ag near bako but it doesn't feel surrounded by it like you're imagining.

Edit: here's an old video of Bakersfield. I'm sure some progress has been made since this was filmed.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=r-Row5VzanM

Old 10-27-2021, 01:59 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,357,090 times
Looking at streetviews of Juarez makes it look like a pretty urban place that's a bit run down but not charmless. I wonder if there's some hope for the near future of the violence ratcheting down significantly, because it seems pretty interesting.

Old 10-27-2021, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonySegaTendo617 View Post

Bakersfield has tehachipi as its Las Cruces.
It's not as pretty but it's pretty nice. People go up for nice restaurants and hiking.

Tehachipi

Old 11-01-2021, 05:24 PM

I was in El Paso today. The air smelled heavily of sulfur and tires. Not sure if Bakersfield has a smell, but the pollution in El Paso is terrible. The smog over Juarez was greenish brownish. Does Bakersfield have a smell outside?

Old 11-09-2021, 08:05 AM

I booked myself a plane ticket to Bakersfield. I'll be there in early January. I'll let you all know how it compares to El Paso. I told another friend I was going to Bakersfield and he was saying too how it's not a good city. I doubt it's like what everybody says.

Old 01-07-2022, 05:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixInCentralArizona View Post
I booked myself a plane ticket to Bakersfield. I'll be there in early January. I'll let you all know how it compares to El Paso. I told another friend I was going to Bakersfield and he was saying too how it's not a good city. I doubt it's like what everybody says.
Got an update for us?

Old 01-07-2022, 05:40 PM

220 posts, read 172,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontbelievehim View Post
El paso is also a dusty city. a lot of it's beauty gets lost in the dust during summers. Outside of summers tho it's quite charming.

Elevation of Bakersfield is over 800 feet at the edge of town, it's not that flat. To put it in perspective, Highest elevation of Sacramento is just 50 feet. There's lot of good hiking in the foothills and mountains near bako, too.

El paso is the nicer city, but bako has more potential. It just needs good leadership to reach it.

Edit: El pasos summers aren't a big improvement over Bakersfield. El paso is probably the hottest city in Texas because its so dry. It also gets occasional snow storms and humid heatwaves.

Hikes in and near Bakersfield:

https://californiawanderland.com/hik...r-bakersfield/

If you want world class skiing. Bako is roughly 4 hours to Mammoth. El paso is roughly 6 to Taos.
Besides Ruidoso ski resort which is 2hrs 15 minutes from El Paso, There is another skip place called Ski Apache which is another 30 minute drive. Great skiing there also.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otIGtsdKXlk

Old 01-07-2022, 06:01 PM

17,779 posts, read 13,673,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by naners1;62658349[B
]Besides Ruidoso ski resort [/b]which is 2hrs 15 minutes from El Paso, There is another skip place called Ski Apache which is another 30 minute drive. Great skiing there also.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otIGtsdKXlk
You must mean Cloudcroft? Snow Canyon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City