Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2021, 06:37 AM

1,751 posts, read 1,685,007 times

Advertisements

As for Raleigh and Richmond, aside from the topography they are nothing alike (well they are similar in the ways that all American cities are similar).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2021, 08:20 AM

5,003 posts, read 5,983,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencer114 View Post
As for Raleigh and Richmond, aside from the topography they are nothing alike (well they are similar in the ways that all American cities are similar).
I think that there are certainly deeper similarities beyond that, but I agree that they are surprisingly different for nearby cities in the same region of the country.

Old 11-06-2021, 09:07 AM

8,865 posts, read 6,869,333 times
Denver seems a bit more white collar and downtown-focused than its Midwest peers. Except Minneapolis.

And the population is outdoor-oriented in a skiing/bicycling/hiking sort of way. Minneapolis beats it in bicycling but otherwise it's fairly different from the Midwest there.

Western cities tend to have miles of woodframe houses from the WWI era, much like Midwestern cities. Seattle, Portland, Boise, etc. They were smaller than the Midwest equivalents, but those types still dominate a lot of core neighborhoods.

But yes, it's a Plains city if you're looking N/E/S. There's a steakhouse and cowboy thing that's more Midwest and Interior West. New buildings tend to have giant parking podiums like the Midwest and South.

Old 11-06-2021, 09:52 AM

2,991 posts, read 3,422,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencer114 View Post
Denver seems very classically Midwestern to me. I’m speaking of the downtown and older suburbs. The downtown high rises, size of the streets and the older housing is very, very Midwestern in style. The new construction looks like everything built anywhere in North American over the last 30 years.
I agree. To me Denver is very Midwest. It's not a whole lot different from Chicago neighborhoods. It's flat and on a grid with Midwestern style housing and similar commercial strip layouts. The climate is also similar.

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.7643...7i16384!8i8192
This in Denver proper looks like anywhere else in the Midwest. The two bedroom 900 sqft bungalow in the first house sold for $600k, which would put it about as expensive as Seattle.

I think people tend to conflate Boulder, Aspen and some other parts of Colorado, which do have more of that California feel than Denver.

Last edited by Guineas; 11-06-2021 at 10:07 AM..

Old 11-06-2021, 09:57 AM

6,083 posts, read 10,704,020 times
Denver isn’t the West Coast or Midwest. Why can’t it just be the Mountain West?

Old 11-06-2021, 10:40 AM

1,320 posts, read 868,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guineas View Post
I agree. To me Denver is very Midwest. It's not a whole lot different from Chicago neighborhoods. It's flat and on a grid with Midwestern style housing and similar commercial strip layouts. The climate is also similar.

This in Denver proper looks like anywhere else in the Midwest. The two bedroom 900 sqft bungalow in the first house sold for $600k, which would put it about as expensive as Seattle.

I think people tend to conflate Boulder, Aspen and some other parts of Colorado, which do have more of that California feel than Denver.
Disagree here. Name me a Midwestern city whose winter has average daily highs in the mid 40s and lots of sunshine and whose summers are not humid.

Old 11-06-2021, 11:05 AM

2,991 posts, read 3,422,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nadnerb View Post
Disagree here. Name me a Midwestern city whose winter has average daily highs in the mid 40s and lots of sunshine and whose summers are not humid.
I was going to say St Louis, but the summers are humid.

Old 11-07-2021, 02:26 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,312,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guineas View Post

You couldn't be more incorrect if you tried to. Chicago has neighborhood squares like the rest of the Midwest, Denver has retail strips in its neighborhoods. Its not really flat like Chicago. There isn't even mountains in the Midwest aside from Southern Missouri.
The climate is no where near similar to the Midwest at all.

Boulder is literally 30 miles from downtown Denver, but it's not midwestern in your eyes?

Old 11-07-2021, 03:58 PM

8,865 posts, read 6,869,333 times
Boulder is far more "West" (or West Coast) than Denver from my perspective. The mountains are part of daily life, it trends young, etc.

Nobody is claiming Denver is purely Midwest. Far from it, as its Western element is clearly primary. But it has a Midwest filter in some key ways.

Old 11-07-2021, 04:14 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,312,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
Boulder is far more "West" (or West Coast) than Denver from my perspective. The mountains are part of daily life, it trends young, etc.

Nobody is claiming Denver is purely Midwest. Far from it, as its Western element is clearly primary. But it has a Midwest filter in some key ways.
So the mountains aren't part of Denver everyday life? Most people in Boulder don't live or work directly in the mountains. Denver doesn't trend young? Its full of young transplants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City