Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2021, 12:07 PM

16 posts, read 15,450 times

Advertisements

Background:

I'm politically center-left, don't like small cities (<500k metro), want a good mix of outdoor and indoor, and it's important that I live in an accepting/friendly community. A decent house in a nice location where I'm at is at least $600k, so a place with more affordable housing would be great.

I'm a cis male person of color and frustrated with the political extremism we get on the west side of the country and how divided many of the communities here are. I'm a software engineer, so it's also important that there's a decent software scene I can make a good living with. I'm also an experimental rock musician, so a city with an eclectic music scene would be fantastic.

I've visited Portland a few times, and I find the people there very accepting and "chill". However, it's been devastated by the pandemic with a massively noticeable increase in crime, drug addiction, and homelessness, and it doesn't seem like the city has much of a plan to do much about it (the weak mayoral system probably doesn't help).

Thinking about moving further east. I grew up in the upper midwest and am kind of over it; cities like Minneapolis are nice but a bit boring and overly cosmopolitan for my tastes, and the winters are pretty harsh.

I've never visited Denver, CO or Richmond, VA, but they seem like good potential candidates for places to live.

Thoughts on the following?

Food/Drink Scene
People/Friendliness/Community
Music Scene
Outdoor Recreation
Cost of Living
Political Leaning
Crime
Weather
Traffic and Public Transportation

Other suggestions for cities I should consider relocating to?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2021, 02:20 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,341,685 times
Denver sounds like the opposite of what you want. Its like California with more snow. At least to me. Maybe Philly but I don't know about the software development scene there.

Old 10-29-2021, 02:34 PM

1,013 posts, read 914,530 times
You can find anything you want in any of these cities, I would visit the ones you haven’t been to and study up. For reasons that may not be the same for you my order of preference would be…

1. Richmond

2. Denver

3. Portland

Good luck in your quest!

Old 10-29-2021, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Denver sounds like the opposite of what you want. Its like California with more snow. At least to me. Maybe Philly but I don't know about the software development scene there.
Can you elaborate on Denver a bit? How is it like California?

Old 10-29-2021, 03:47 PM

8,607 posts, read 14,908,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vandelayindustries View Post
The whole Front Range has been a relocation hotspot for Californians (and Texans and Illinoisans) for many years. I wouldn't say it feels like California per se, but there are other issues with your wants - like housing costs. Housing isn't much cheaper than $600k here nowadays, especially if you want to live closer to the mountains (west of I-25).

Denver proper is pretty liberal, and the suburbs tend to be purple to blue. Douglas County (south side of the metro area) is pretty Trumpian these days.

Old 10-29-2021, 03:54 PM

1,321 posts, read 871,384 times
Quote:
Background:

I'm politically center-left, don't like small cities (<500k metro), want a good mix of outdoor and indoor, and it's important that I live in an accepting/friendly community. A decent house in a nice location where I'm at is at least $600k, so a place with more affordable housing would be great.

I'm a cis male person of color and frustrated with the political extremism we get on the west side of the country and how divided many of the communities here are. I'm a software engineer, so it's also important that there's a decent software scene I can make a good living with. I'm also an experimental rock musician, so a city with an eclectic music scene would be fantastic.

I've visited Portland a few times, and I find the people there very accepting and "chill". However, it's been devastated by the pandemic with a massively noticeable increase in crime, drug addiction, and homelessness, and it doesn't seem like the city has much of a plan to do much about it (the weak mayoral system probably doesn't help).

Thinking about moving further east. I grew up in the upper midwest and am kind of over it; cities like Minneapolis are nice but a bit boring and overly cosmopolitan for my tastes, and the winters are pretty harsh.

I've never visited Denver, CO or Richmond, VA, but they seem like good potential candidates for places to live.

Thoughts on the following?

Food/Drink Scene
People/Friendliness/Community
Music Scene
Outdoor Recreation
Cost of Living
Political Leaning
Crime
Weather
Traffic and Public Transportation

Other suggestions for cities I should consider relocating to?
I currently live in Portland.

The useless city leadership is the biggest flaw of this city, otherwise, it's awesome.

Food/Drink Scene - Portland's food/drink scene is exceptional for its size. With the endless food carts, more breweries than any other city, and wide array of diverse cuisines, there's always something you can find to eat. The Willamette Valley's climate makes it great for growing quality ingredients, so there is a large focus on eating local.

People/Friendliness/Community - People are friendly and laid back as you said.

Music Scene - I can't speak to what the local music scene is like, but the live music scene is amazing. There's so many cool niche venues to catch a show, whether it be in a small neighborhood bar, an intimate basement, or a large farm on Sauvie Island. My favorites are McMenamin's Edgefield (for larger acts), Hawthorne Theater, Polaris Hall, Mississippi Studios, and Doug Fir Lounge. Bands that tour in the US almost always come through Portland.

Outdoor Recreation - Portland is tops for this. You have access to some of the beautiful scenery in the continental US and pretty much every possible outdoor activity in under a 2 hour drive.

Cost of Living - Pricey, but cheaper than other West Coast cities. I think it's just slightly cheaper than Denver.

Political Leaning - Very left leaning

Crime - Crime spike this year is concerning, but still low overall

Weather - Winters are cool and rainy, it doesn't really go below freezing. Summer days are typically in the low 80s and dry, with occasional heat waves. It can be very gloomy and cloudy for about 6 months. Some hate it and some aren't really phased by it, so it really depends on the person.

Traffic and Public Transportation - Traffic can get pretty backed up at major choke points, though nowhere near as bad as say, Seattle. During non peak times, it's very easy to get around the city. Public transportation is decent by America standards. We have 5 light rail lines, though they aren't very fast. They are generally better for leisure activities. Bus system is pretty solid but could be better.

Old 10-29-2021, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nadnerb View Post
I currently live in Portland.

The useless city leadership is the biggest flaw of this city, otherwise, it's awesome.

Food/Drink Scene - Portland's food/drink scene is exceptional for its size. With the endless food carts, more breweries than any other city, and wide array of diverse cuisines, there's always something you can find to eat. The Willamette Valley's climate makes it great for growing quality ingredients, so there is a large focus on eating local.

People/Friendliness/Community - People are friendly and laid back as you said.

Music Scene - I can't speak to what the local music scene is like, but the live music scene is amazing. There's so many cool niche venues to catch a show, whether it be in a small neighborhood bar, an intimate basement, or a large farm on Sauvie Island. My favorites are McMenamin's Edgefield (for larger acts), Hawthorne Theater, Polaris Hall, Mississippi Studios, and Doug Fir Lounge. Bands that tour in the US almost always come through Portland.

Outdoor Recreation - Portland is tops for this. You have access to some of the beautiful scenery in the continental US and pretty much every possible outdoor activity in under a 2 hour drive.

Cost of Living - Pricey, but cheaper than other West Coast cities. I think it's just slightly cheaper than Denver.

Political Leaning - Very left leaning

Crime - Crime spike this year is concerning, but still low overall

Weather - Winters are cool and rainy, it doesn't really go below freezing. Summer days are typically in the low 80s and dry, with occasional heat waves. It can be very gloomy and cloudy for about 6 months. Some hate it and some aren't really phased by it, so it really depends on the person.

Traffic and Public Transportation - Traffic can get pretty backed up at major choke points, though nowhere near as bad as say, Seattle. During non peak times, it's very easy to get around the city. Public transportation is decent by America standards. We have 5 light rail lines, though they aren't very fast. They are generally better for leisure activities. Bus system is pretty solid but could be better.
Yeah, I honestly kind of love Portland, but it breaks my heart to see that the number of tents along the waterfront has blown up since the pandemic, along with the number of junkies around the city. The city and state have left these people behind (and apparently Eugene, OR now has the biggest opioid problem in the country? Sad).

The number of car break-ins and thefts I hear is also concerning. I know of two separate bands there that had tons of musical equipment stolen from their cars, and I've heard Multnomah Falls is averaging something like 25 break-ins a month.

Otherwise, I think it's a great city that has a lot going for it, but it was hard to see a future there last time I visited.

Old 10-31-2021, 07:37 PM

Quote:
The homelessness is high, COL is high, the weather and landscape remind me of California in some ways, lots of outdoorsy granola people, very liberal and "green."

Old 11-01-2021, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
The homelessness is high, COL is high, the weather and landscape remind me of California in some ways, lots of outdoorsy granola people, very liberal and "green."
Thanks!

I'd also like to throw Raleigh, NC in the mix for a potential moving destination.

Old 11-01-2021, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Thanks!

I'd also like to throw Raleigh, NC in the mix for a potential moving destination.
I am also a black male, but from the south. I do think California in general is too left for me, I prefer Colorados politics, especially compared to anywhere in the south.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City