Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: The skyline I prefer is...
Minneapolis 49 47.57%
Pittsburgh 54 52.43%
Voters: 103. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2021, 06:11 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times

Advertisements

Good Morning!

The last match-up I could find between just Minneapolis and Pittsburgh for skylines was a closed thread from 2012. Since that time there have been a few threads comparing the cities in terms of things like quality-of-life or prominence, but I could not find any direct comparison between these two cities exclusively for skyline alone.

In 2012 that poll ended with Pittsburgh at ~60% and Minneapolis at ~40%. I live in Pittsburgh and think our skyline punches above its weight for a city of our stature. With that being said although I have never been to Minneapolis I have done a lot of Google Street View cyber-tours and Google Image searches and have digested dozens of images of various angles of its skyline and also find it to be very impressive---so impressive as a matter of fact that it is one of the things driving me to want to vacation there (obviously not in winter!)

I read the very lengthy "rules" thread regarding skyline competition posts, and, as such, I have elected to not "hot link" Google Image search photos of the skylines of both cities. If anyone would like to reply with images of either city and can ascertain that they are allowed to post the photos on this forum please feel more than welcome to do so!

As a Pittsburgh "homer" I am going to abstain from voting in this thread. Please vote based upon an "overall" critique of the skylines based upon aesthetics; natural setting; height/density; variety of architectural styles; balance; etc. In the case of Minneapolis DO NOT include the St. Paul skyline as an "extension" of the Minneapolis skyline. In the case of Pittsburgh DO NOT include the Oakland skyline as an "extension" of the Downtown Pittsburgh skyline.

Thanks! I look forward to reading your responses!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2021, 06:49 AM

10,055 posts, read 14,418,692 times
Pittsburgh definitely wins this match-up, for me.

Downtown Pittsburgh has one of the best skylines in general, in the US, I think.

The geographical layout of downtown lends itself to density and height, and I would love to see 2-3 more skyscrapers in the range of 500-700 feet, and that would just make it that much more impressive.

I do love the architecture of the 2-3 tallest skyscrapers in Pittsburgh.

As for Minneapolis, it has great density and some good height, but a bit less unique than Pittsburgh.

Old 11-24-2021, 04:40 PM

3,971 posts, read 9,672,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
In the case of Minneapolis DO NOT include the St. Paul skyline as an "extension" of the Minneapolis skyline. In the case of Pittsburgh DO NOT include the Oakland skyline as an "extension" of the Downtown Pittsburgh skyline.

Thanks! I look forward to reading your responses!
For what it's worth, St. Paul isn't some neighborhood of Minneapolis. St. Paul has it's own distinct skyline 9 miles from downtown Minneapolis. Comparing the two doesn't make sense, as there is no such "extension" that exists. Just thought I'd shed light on that.

Old 11-24-2021, 06:16 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,860,814 times
This is a tough one. Both have great towering skylines. It’s splitting hairs, but the only reason I chose Pittsburgh is because I love three rivers backdrop in its skyline. But both of these skylines are awesome.

Old 11-24-2021, 06:32 PM

42 posts, read 36,673 times
I've always thought Pittsburgh has the best skyline in America. The hills, the yellow bridges, and the mix of modern and art decor skyscrapers along with the one that kinda looks like a castle densely packed together between two rivers.

Old 11-24-2021, 07:49 PM

3,971 posts, read 9,672,881 times
Minneapolis has added some sizeable buildings the past few years to fill in spaces and in one case, expand the width of the skyline.. But as a MPLS homer, I'm quite torn. I agree with others, such a tough toss-up. Both are amazing. My best buddy went to Medical School @ Pitt and would send photos often. Kicking myself for never going to visit him (cash was tight).

Old 11-24-2021, 09:16 PM

1,013 posts, read 910,542 times
I like Pittsburgh’s skyline it’s not super large but it’s cool and I love the setting.

Old 11-24-2021, 09:41 PM

2,801 posts, read 3,856,789 times
I’ve only seen photos of Minneapolis’ skyline, and it is big and impressive. However, Pittsburgh’s setting in the valley where the Ohio river forks into the Monongahela and Allegheny is like a jewel perched on a perfectly crafted setting. While Minneapolis probably has the bigger, more impressive skyline, Pittsburgh’s presentation makes it more memorable to me.

Kind of like San Francisco. But different.

I’m not going to vote because I haven’t seen the Minneapolis skyline in person, from many angles. I will say that Pittsburgh’s skyline has always impressed me, even though it’s not particularly large in scope or with exceptionally tall towers.

Old 11-24-2021, 10:16 PM

1,347 posts, read 876,112 times
Pittsburgh is in the same class as Mpls in the skyline department imo but the Capela tower, Wells Fargo, and the Campbell Mithun Tower are some of my favorite towers. Modern but still unique. I vote Mpls but I'm a bit bias.

Old 11-25-2021, 04:27 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knke0204 View Post
For what it's worth, St. Paul isn't some neighborhood of Minneapolis. St. Paul has it's own distinct skyline 9 miles from downtown Minneapolis. Comparing the two doesn't make sense, as there is no such "extension" that exists. Just thought I'd shed light on that.
Thank you. Yes, I am well aware that St. Paul is a separate wonderful city in its own right. In fact, despite having a much smaller skyline than Pittsburgh it has a comparable population to Pittsburgh. I just see sometimes on here when one city starts to lose some people start to get "creative" in expanding definitions. I am just looking for comparisons and contrasts between Downtown Minneapolis and Downtown Pittsburgh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City