Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2021, 10:24 PM

9,375 posts, read 20,798,823 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
While I like California, it's lacking in some key features that I really prefer. The greenery there just isn't the same as it is in the east. Most of the state is kind of brown and dry looking, even in the green parts. Northern California does offer an abundance of greenery, but it's not quite the same as in the east. It's more of a dry green. The east has a wet, humid green appearance that I prefer. The mountains in the east are covered with green, deciduous, bubbly looking trees all over.

California is also lacking in legacy industrial cities and architecture, which I like.

So no, California doesn't have everything, but it does have a lot for sure.
All of this is a fair critique, for someone who wants really a really verdant landscape. But that's not a priority with me. I spent most of my life in New Jersey, and know all about the differences. To me, weather is the most important priority, by far. I crave arid skies, not humid ones.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2021, 05:30 AM

8,492 posts, read 4,738,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
All of this is a fair critique, for someone who wants really a really verdant landscape. But that's not a priority with me. I spent most of my life in New Jersey, and know all about the differences. To me, weather is the most important priority, by far. I crave arid skies, not humid ones.
I’m with you. I’m more of a desert rat, so when folks cite greenery as something that’s awesome, it kinda falls on deaf ears as far as what I am looking for. I still think New Mexico is my huckleberry, but it wouldn’t take much to flip me to Nevada or Arizona.

Old 12-14-2021, 09:26 AM

1,320 posts, read 866,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
While I like California, it's lacking in some key features that I really prefer. The greenery there just isn't the same as it is in the east. Most of the state is kind of brown and dry looking, even in the green parts. Northern California does offer an abundance of greenery, but it's not quite the same as in the east. It's more of a dry green. The east has a wet, humid green appearance that I prefer. The mountains in the east are covered with green, deciduous, bubbly looking trees all over.

California is also lacking in legacy industrial cities and architecture, which I like.

So no, California doesn't have everything, but it does have a lot for sure.
There are some parts of California that are just as lush and green as anywhere out east. The area around Crescent City gets 55+ inches of rain a year, with some pockets near the Oregon border that average above 100 inches.

Jedediah Smith Redwoods State Park
Gasquet, CA

Old 12-14-2021, 10:28 AM

1,624 posts, read 2,036,841 times
Texas.

Old 12-14-2021, 04:08 PM

37,135 posts, read 39,394,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
I dont like the Hamptons. Its not for me. Its like bad nantucket or try hard cape may. Full pass. Only access points are through nyc too which is also a headache.

Jersey Shore anyday

You're dinging it for the communities though, right? The beaches themselves can be quite good and there's a lot of it and a lot of it is south-facing. There's also quite a bit of beaches that are on Long Island and that aren't part of the Hamptons.

Old 12-14-2021, 10:58 PM

12,163 posts, read 8,002,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
You're dinging it for the communities though, right? The beaches themselves can be quite good and there's a lot of it and a lot of it is south-facing. There's also quite a bit of beaches that are on Long Island and that aren't part of the Hamptons.
Im dinging it for the beaches and communities themselves. There is no draw to LI for me. On top of the meh quality beaches compared to the ones that surround it, the access is terrible for the entirety of Long Island which is unfortunate.

So yeah, adding NJ would bea must to round off NYS.

Old 12-15-2021, 07:29 AM

37,135 posts, read 39,394,719 times
Quote:
Im dinging it for the beaches and communities themselves. There is no draw to LI for me. On top of the meh quality beaches compared to the ones that surround it, the access is terrible for the entirety of Long Island which is unfortunate.

So yeah, adding NJ would bea must to round off NYS.
I agree with adding NJ--maybe Pennsylvania while we're at it as the Mid-Atlantic

I guess we differ on Long Island as I really like the variety of beaches in regards to how developed and how packed they are and they've got some really good south-facing ones. Goes from extremely packed at Coney Island and Brighton Beach and the Rockaways to some pretty remote barrier islands. I really like Long Beach the city and the beach. I like New Jersey beaches, too, though. My problem with LI is how sprawling those suburban tracts are and how decimated a lot of the older and more urban centers are. Crazy given how there's such an extensive electrified rail system.

Old 12-15-2021, 08:12 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,248,333 times
Quote:
I dont like the Hamptons. Its not for me. Its like bad nantucket or try hard cape may. Full pass. Only access points are through nyc too which is also a headache.

Jersey Shore anyday

I'm talking about living in New York City. The North American center of the universe. You step on a train at NY Penn to Babylon. That part is an hour 15 minutes. Transfer to the Montauk line. There are stops in every town. Or just get off at Babylon. Fire Island is right there with good bus connections. You can bring a folding bicycle or folding electric bike on any train as luggage.

Old 12-17-2021, 02:49 PM

12,163 posts, read 8,002,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
I'm talking about living in New York City. The North American center of the universe. You step on a train at NY Penn to Babylon. That part is an hour 15 minutes. Transfer to the Montauk line. There are stops in every town. Or just get off at Babylon. Fire Island is right there with good bus connections. You can bring a folding bicycle or folding electric bike on any train as luggage.
No thanks. Again hard pass. Just to Penn take the train down to Asbury Park or drive an two hours to some real good beaches with great surfing, good food, etc. again, Hamptons have no draw for me. Other parts of LI are okay. Jersey Shore anyday. If i were going to LI, i would just go to Cape Cod.

Most quaint beach Ive been to was the Island Beach State Park. Tough to beat. LI, or most of NE, cant hold a light to that

Old 12-23-2021, 06:18 PM

41 posts, read 43,518 times
Likely Ohio. Seems to have everything I need.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City