Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2021, 12:53 AM

1,529 posts, read 1,730,045 times

Advertisements

If you were forced to live in one state for the rest of your life and NEVER leave, which state would that be?

I'm from Mass originally and it's still my favorite state, but part of the allure of Massachusetts is its proximity to other places. I can be Boston, the mountains of NH or VT, the coasts of ME and RI and even NYC in no time.

But in my scenario, you must only stay in ONE state only and not leave.

If this were the case, I'd probably pick NY. The state has beautiful mountains and villages up north, NYC to the south, good beaches on Long Island, and even Niagra Falls to the northwest. In a lot of ways, the state offers everything New England has, but all in one state.

What would state would you all pick?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2021, 02:20 AM

24,565 posts, read 18,323,679 times
That’s a ridiculous constraint in a small state like Massachusetts. I owned a vacation home at a Vermont ski resort for 28 years and rented for some years before that. When I skied weekends, I drove to the office in Massachusetts on Monday morning. For a bunch of years, I lived in Massachusetts and reverse commuted to southern New Hampshire. I also lived in Portsmouth NH for a decade but that’s metro Boston. I had a Boston Symphony season subscription and was in Boston Garden all the time since my company had a slice of a luxury box.

I ski. I sail. I have always done high tech for a living. With those interests, it’s metro Boston, metro New York, Seattle, and the Bay Area. I have tons of metro New York ski friends with a similar lifestyle. I have lots of friends now doing the Bay Area-Tahoe thing. I’ve job hunted in Seattle a few times but never found the right opportunity.

I picked metro Boston but I could have made the other three work. Silicon Valley to Tahoe every weekend would be brutal, though.

Old 11-30-2021, 02:23 AM

6,398 posts, read 5,033,399 times
Definitely California for me.

Along with the other West Coast states, it has a huge variety of natural environments, but it also has more variety in city environments than Washington or Oregon (and certainly Alaska). The state's large area is also good and might help it feel a little less Truman Show.

New York is also a good choice and might be #2 for me. (It doesn't have deserts or huge mountain ranges like California, but then California doesn't have anything like NYC, or affordable urban cities like Buffalo and Rochester.)

Old 11-30-2021, 08:03 AM

2,358 posts, read 2,316,102 times
California without a doubt.

Old 11-30-2021, 08:30 AM

571 posts, read 1,175,831 times
Definitely California for me as well. So many different landscapes, climates, and cities. Considering its the size of some entire countries helps too.

Old 11-30-2021, 09:50 AM

16,572 posts, read 10,676,390 times
To be honest, I'd probably just stay right here in Maryland, where I am now. We've got beaches, we've got mountains, we've got cities, we've got suburbs, we've got history, we've got shopping, we've got a good international airport (which I wouldn't be able to use, because I can't leave the state, grumble grumble), we have a lot packed into our small space. There's a reason this state has been called "American in Miniature."

Old 11-30-2021, 10:22 AM

994 posts, read 971,699 times
northern part of California if money wasnt an issue.

Old 11-30-2021, 10:41 AM

4,160 posts, read 2,864,584 times
I’d think most people would be happy with the state they live/work in now, since it’s where they spend (willingly presumably) 99% of their time. If you are deciding on a different place here, it may be time to rethink your living situation.*

* Caveat, perhaps it’s different for people from small states. I could see the OP liking Massachusetts’ centrality to other places. Even more an extreme, a place like Delaware which seems designed almost purposely as a place close to many other places. But I wouldn’t move to a place simply because I like to vacation there. If I did, my address would be Main Street, USA right next to Mickey’s ears shop.

Old 11-30-2021, 11:10 AM

4,659 posts, read 3,025,738 times
Default If you had to live in one state for the rest of your life....

Ecotopia (coastal WA / OR / N CA)

Old 11-30-2021, 11:28 AM

23,590 posts, read 24,124,772 times
California (the Northern part of the state), or Northern Virginia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City