Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city would you pick for a weekend visit with a family?
Indianapolis 0 0%
Columbus 2 3.03%
Cleveland 13 19.70%
Cincinnati 13 19.70%
Pittsburgh 28 42.42%
Detroit 6 9.09%
Other 4 6.06%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2021, 02:07 AM

3,444 posts, read 3,372,483 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Yikes. Poor Indianapolis. It gets demolished in every poll. Is it really that bland?
It may not have as much to do(or the same amount of historical things) as say Pittsburgh or Cincinnati, but I personally like Indianapolis myself. Check out the Newfields Art Museum(formerly Indianapolis Museum of Art, IMA) and the Eiteljorg Art Museum, if you do visit Indy. Some of Indy's neighborhoods are decent too, such as Fountain Square, Irvington, and any of its neighborhoods between downtown and north to Broad Ripple. The neighborhoods between downtown north to Broad Ripple, have been starting to slowly see more investment in recent years to them.

And the area near 38th Street, has started to develop into an unofficial ethnic area for various mom and pop restaurants, grocery stores, etc. I hope the plan to redevelop Lafayette Square Mall succeeds, since it's LONG overdue for Indy to redevelop(in some sort and fashion) that mall building, in some fashion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2021, 07:26 AM

3,575 posts, read 3,075,384 times
If driving is intended to be part of the trip experience, Cincinnati (from the south) and Pittsburgh (any direction) would provide the most scenic landscape in the areas immediately adjacent to the cities due to the hills and valleys that drop off to the adjacent rivers. Cleveland is a distant 3rd (hills if coming from N or E). The other cities have uninspiring approaches, for dozens, if not 100+ miles until arrival.

Old 12-10-2021, 07:43 AM

14,166 posts, read 9,058,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketSci View Post
If driving is intended to be part of the trip experience, Cincinnati (from the south) and Pittsburgh (any direction) would provide the most scenic landscape in the areas immediately adjacent to the cities due to the hills and valleys that drop off to the adjacent rivers. Cleveland is a distant 3rd (hills if coming from N or E). The other cities have uninspiring approaches, for dozens, if not 100+ miles until arrival.
The entrance to downtown Pittsburgh from the south (via the Fort Pitt Tunnel and Bridge) is THE most spectacular entrance to any American city I've seen. Yes, IMO, even better than crossing the Bay Bridge into San Francisco.

But for some perspective on driving across flatter terrain: I recall someone some years back writing that approaching Kansas City from the west made the downtown skyline appear much like Chartres Cathedral rising from the French plains that surround it. A prominent feature rising from a plain can hold visual appeal, and many cities in the central US have this quality.

Old 12-10-2021, 11:37 AM

7,108 posts, read 8,966,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Yikes. Poor Indianapolis. It gets demolished in every poll. Is it really that bland?
I love Indianapolis. It is one of my favorite day trips due to the downtown.

Old 12-10-2021, 12:30 PM

101 posts, read 171,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
The entrance to downtown Pittsburgh from the south (via the Fort Pitt Tunnel and Bridge) is THE most spectacular entrance to any American city I've seen. Yes, IMO, even better than crossing the Bay Bridge into San Francisco.

But for some perspective on driving across flatter terrain: I recall someone some years back writing that approaching Kansas City from the west made the downtown skyline appear much like Chartres Cathedral rising from the French plains that surround it. A prominent feature rising from a plain can hold visual appeal, and many cities in the central US have this quality.
No, I'm thinking that this is a trip without a car, ideally. But I do like hearing that info!

Thank you all for your insight! Looks like Cincinnati and Pittsburgh are the places to consider, but I am really interested in hearing all the different perspectives.

Old 12-10-2021, 01:01 PM

24,559 posts, read 18,248,333 times
The NFL hall of fame and the Rock & Roll hall of fame are an hour apart.

Old 12-10-2021, 01:06 PM

19 posts, read 13,441 times
I've always wanted to check out Cleveland.

Old 12-10-2021, 07:46 PM

3,291 posts, read 2,771,337 times
I think Pittsburgh is by far the most interesting of these for an adult. for history/culture/vibe and nightlife. George Washington founded the city as a young kid, it has fascinating overlooks from 500 foot cliffs, and was the center of American industrial power for almost a century between the civil war and post WWII. Lots of really cool old rowhouse hoods, arty areas, and just funky urban vibes.

but, not sure from the kids angle, that can be really different based on their things they want to do. also you could include Baltimore and Philly , they were part of the rustbelt too. Philly is actually more industrial now than Pittsburgh is. Baltimore is kinda more post industrial wasteland sites.

Of the ones listed I think Pittsburgh is the best, then a tier below is Detroit, Cleveland and Cincy those three are pretty even as far as what's in the city core. Detroit though has an extensive metro area that the others don't match.

then Columbus and Indy (but I don't think they were ever rust belt cities, they are state capitols in farmland areas)

Last edited by _Buster; 12-10-2021 at 08:49 PM..

Old 12-10-2021, 08:33 PM

1,320 posts, read 866,859 times
I lived in Columbus for a few years and just so happened to visit every one of these cities. Here is how I would rank them:

1. Pittsburgh - Easily one of my favorite cities. It's a bustling urban city with a unique Appalachian backdrop. There are several distinct neighborhoods and cool family friendly activities like the National Aviary, Andy Warhol Museum, Conservatory, and Mattress Factory.

2. Cleveland - Cool city with lots of interesting things to do. I would recommend checking out the West Side Market which is one of the best public markets in the US. Edgewater Park is an easily accessible beach where you get great views of Lake Erie and the skyline. There's of course many interesting museums and neighborhoods to explore.

Columbus - Tough to rank because I lived here and my experience is a bit different than that of a tourist. I think this city tends to be a pleasant surprise for a lot of people. German Village is a stunning neighborhood with lots of charm (check out the Book Loft). Ohio State campus is cool to walk around as it is one of the largest universities in the US. There's so many good restaurants in this city to check out. The zoo is known to be one of the best in the US.

3. Detroit - The Motown Museum is an amazing experience. Buddy's pizza is probably one of my favorite pizza places. It's worth going to Detroit just for those two things. I've heard great things about the Art Museum and Henry Ford museum. Downtown is walkable and has some spectacular art deco architecture. The only downsides are the lack of interesting nature / green spaces and lack of neighborhoods outside of downtown to walk around in.

4. Cincinnati - I really like the area around Findlay Market and neighboring blocks in Over the Rhine. The rest of the city didn't do a whole lot for me. The riverfront is nice, downtown surprisingly has very little foot traffic. There is lots of good food here, though.

5. Indianapolis - I didn't spend a whole lot of time here, so my impressions could change if I ended up visiting again at some point. I found downtown to be very nice; the rest of the city was pleasant but not terribly exciting.

Old 12-10-2021, 08:36 PM

828 posts, read 648,507 times
Pittsburgh>Cincinnati>Cleveland>Detroit (could be moving up the ranks tho)>Indy.

For Midwest more generally, consider KC, Milwaukee, or Louisville (which I consider Midwestern mostly but w/ some Southern influence)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City