Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Cities with high concentrations of dirt bike/ATV riders
NYC 14 15.91%
LA 0 0%
Chicago 3 3.41%
Boston 12 13.64%
DC 9 10.23%
Atlanta 10 11.36%
Philadelphia 37 42.05%
San Francisco 0 0%
Seattle 0 0%
Minneapolis 1 1.14%
Baltimore 30 34.09%
St Louis 2 2.27%
KCMO 2 2.27%
Indianapolis 0 0%
Charlotte 2 2.27%
Milwaukee 0 0%
Providence 1 1.14%
Miami 2 2.27%
Jacksonville 1 1.14%
Hartford 2 2.27%
Buffalo 1 1.14%
Cleveland 5 5.68%
Cincinnati 1 1.14%
Columbus 0 0%
Richmond 3 3.41%
Norfolk 1 1.14%
Houston 1 1.14%
Dallas 0 0%
Austin 0 0%
San Antonio 0 0%
Sacramento 0 0%
San Diego 0 0%
Rochester 2 2.27%
Albany 0 0%
Denver 2 2.27%
Pittsburgh 0 0%
Detroit 2 2.27%
Grand Rapids 0 0%
Birmingham 3 3.41%
Memphis 2 2.27%
Portland 0 0%
Phoenix 1 1.14%
Other 1 1.14%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2022, 08:16 AM
sub

4,963 posts, read 3,754,817 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynJo View Post
Dirt bike riding is not southern culture at all. Stick to donks and 36 inch rims.
Um, actually, 4-wheelin’, muddin’, and actual dirt bikes to a lesser extent, is deeply engrained in rural southern culture.
That’s why it’s so shocking to me that these things are used in the urban northeastern cities.

Perhaps this could be used to show that urban and rural cultures have more in common than we usually acknowledge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2022, 08:23 AM

21,629 posts, read 12,754,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynJo View Post
Region wise it’s easily the east coast.

Baltimore, Philly, DC, NYC being the top 4 in that region
IDK about NYC but this is more pervasive in Boston and Providence than DC- where it seems like it's usually more large events/rideouts kind of like Miami- and generally not as common throughout the regular week as it is in Boston or Providence. There's much more serious policing, more cameras and there are speed bumps in DC so I think people need to join those large groups other wise I odnt see it the way I do in Baltimore or Boston where it seems more casual. I moved to Suitland in the summer of 2017 and one of the big differences when I first moved was distinctly the lack of dirtbikes in the area (inner PG/SEDC) compared to having just come from Boston.

Indeed one local blog keeps tabs on some of the dirtbike activity in the city. Obviously not anywhere near a fraction of it but it pops up often enough: https://www.universalhub.com/taxonomy/term/9198

15 hours ago: Michelle Wu facing growing threat of dangerous, illegal dirt bikes

From what I've seen.

By City Proper:
Philly
Baltimore (not really but I'm not gonna cause more waves)
Providence
Boston
NYC
DC

By Metro:
Philly
Boston
Baltimore
NYC
Providence
DC

Old 04-07-2022, 09:10 AM

817 posts, read 627,620 times
I could understand the fun of riding some dirt bikes/ATVs around when you're living in some desert Southwest cities, or even cities in Wyoming or Montana or something. But in Philadelphia, NYC? it's gonna be a nuisance and dangerous. I wouldn't do it personally because i'd be afraid of easily getting caught by police or accidently hitting a pedestrian

Old 04-07-2022, 10:13 AM

2,235 posts, read 1,119,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
IDK about NYC but this is more pervasive in Boston and Providence than DC- where it seems like it's usually more large events/rideouts kind of like Miami- and generally not as common throughout the regular week as it is in Boston or Providence. There's much more serious policing, more cameras and there are speed bumps in DC so I think people need to join those large groups other wise I odnt see it the way I do in Baltimore or Boston where it seems more casual. I moved to Suitland in the summer of 2017 and one of the big differences when I first moved was distinctly the lack of dirtbikes in the area (inner PG/SEDC) compared to having just come from Boston.

Indeed one local blog keeps tabs on some of the dirtbike activity in the city. Obviously not anywhere near a fraction of it but it pops up often enough: https://www.universalhub.com/taxonomy/term/9198

15 hours ago: Michelle Wu facing growing threat of dangerous, illegal dirt bikes

From what I've seen.

By City Proper:
Philly
Providence
Boston
NYC
DC

By Metro:
Philly
Boston
Baltimore
NYC
Providence
DC
Agree with the top 2, would also include Miami in the top 5

Old 04-07-2022, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshbyQuin View Post
Agree with the top 2, would also include Miami in the top 5
Yea I have no idea about Miami besides the holiday things.It would make sense though, dense, flat, and showy with many Caribbean folks.

Old 04-07-2022, 01:54 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,963,986 times
Quote:

From what I've seen.

By City Proper:
Philly
Providence
Boston
NYC
DC

By Metro:
Philly
Boston
Baltimore
NYC
Providence
DC
If you think Baltimore should be lower, then by all means, place it in the appropriate spot. Baltimore originated the whole Dirtbike/ATV culture, though.

Old 04-07-2022, 02:14 PM

2,235 posts, read 1,119,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
If you think Baltimore should be lower, then by all means, place it in the appropriate spot. Baltimore originated the whole Dirtbike/ATV culture, though.
How is the dirtbike/ATV scene in the Metro? I actually thought about riding mine in Dundalk when I visited my aunt because those roads were super smooth and wide.

Old 04-07-2022, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
I just don't see it in the suburbs at all. I also can predict where I'll see them pretty easily (Reisterstown Road on Sundays, Greenmount Ave, Monument Street, Fells Point on a Saturday night). It's not nearly as out of control as I thought it would be when I moved here.

I don't really wanna place it but I wouldn't put it at number 1, but I can say for certain I see it in more suburbs/satellite cities of Boston (Lynn, Brockton, Taunton, Lowell, Chelsea, Everett, Quincy) and beyond (Worcester, Providence, New Bedford) than I do in Harford County, Howard County, Anne Arundel County, or even Baltimore County. Like to AQ's point I've never seen that in Dundalk- and I live not too far from Dundalk. And there's no doubt Philly and Providence see more dirt biking in general in city limits than Baltimore.

I believe it originated in Baltimore but I personally don't see it as a huge thing here.

Old 04-07-2022, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshbyQuin View Post
How is the dirtbike/ATV scene in the Metro? I actually thought about riding mine in Dundalk when I visited my aunt because those roads were super smooth and wide.
It's rare to see it in the suburbs, but it happens every once in a while.

Old 04-07-2022, 04:09 PM

Quote:
I just don't see it in the suburbs at all. I also can predict where I'll see them pretty easily (Reisterstown Road on Sundays, Greenmount Ave, Monument Street, Fells Point on a Saturday night). It's not nearly as out of control as I thought it would be when I moved here.

I don't really wanna place it but I wouldn't put it at number 1, but I can say for certain I see it in more suburbs/satellite cities of Boston (Lynn, Brockton, Taunton, Lowell, Chelsea, Everett, Quincy) and beyond (Worcester, Providence, New Bedford) than I do in Harford County, Howard County, Anne Arundel County, or even Baltimore County. Like to AQ's point I've never seen that in Dundalk- and I live not too far from Dundalk. And there's no doubt Philly and Providence see more dirt biking in general in city limits than Baltimore.

I believe it originated in Baltimore but I personally don't see it as a huge thing here.
Dirt biking isn't as big as it once was in the city since they cracked down on it so heavily. In the 90s- late 2000s, Baltimore had a HUGE dirt bike scene. Even still, to this day, you'll catch the occasional convey riding the city 100+ deep in the summer time. There is/was a dirt bike task force raiding people's homes/garages looking for dirt bikes some years ago. That's why there are movies, documentaries, music videos about the scene in Baltimore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City