Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is more nationally renowned?
Louisville 31 36.47%
Charlotte 54 63.53%
Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2021, 07:24 AM

279 posts, read 168,876 times

Advertisements

I think historically it was Louisville, but today Charlotte is the more nationally renowned city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2021, 08:40 AM

155 posts, read 127,527 times
They're both about even. Louisville with the history/culture and Charlotte is some what in the process of building their "Brand" name. I would give Louisville a nudge just because of Bourbon and KFC. Charlotte's renown and cultural status is some what still similar to any average American city.

Old 12-17-2021, 10:34 AM

8,863 posts, read 6,869,333 times
Charlotte is a name but not much imagery comes from it. Banking (known to city nerds), a nice skyline (city nerds), NFL and NBA (sports nerds), and crickets...

Louisville even less. There's the bat I suppose. But unless you watch horse racing...

Old 12-17-2021, 08:47 PM

232 posts, read 189,863 times
To certain demographics such as African-Americans, and perhaps Hispanics, (as well as Nascar and other sports fans) Charlotte is far more well known and on the radar than Louisville is. When I think of Louisville what comes to mind is Ali. With the horses and races I think first of Kentucky and not Louisville.

Old 12-17-2021, 08:50 PM

9,681 posts, read 9,398,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy123 View Post
To certain demographics such as African-Americans, and perhaps Hispanics, (as well as Nascar and other sports fans) Charlotte is far more well known and on the radar than Louisville is. When I think of Louisville what comes to mind is Ali. With the horses and races I think first of Kentucky and not Louisville.
I agree. Louisville is more old school and Charlotte is more modern.

Old 12-18-2021, 03:25 PM

5,295 posts, read 5,241,918 times
Charlotte is much larger and growing much faster...so this is pretty easy...it's Charlotte...outside this country I doubt many people know the KY Derby or Louisville Slugger.
They do know Charlotte as a financial hub w/ Bank of America and Wells Fargo

Old 12-18-2021, 05:36 PM

8,863 posts, read 6,869,333 times
Outside this country, there are exactly 1,217 people who know that Charlotte is a financial center, and they're all either city nerds or in banking.

Old 12-18-2021, 06:14 PM

7,076 posts, read 12,348,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Landolakes90 View Post
Louisville definitely has an older brand, and a more defined culture from what I've seen. I'm not sure how there could be any actual doubt that Charlotte is more present in the modern lexicon. I'm sure people will argue for the sake of debate. Not really sure if I'd consider this a balanced comparison.
Agreed. Louisville vs Raleigh/Durham would've been more balanced for sure. The OP forgot to mention that Charlotte has Major League Soccer in addition to the NBA and NFL.

Old 12-19-2021, 04:00 PM

10,066 posts, read 14,444,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
Agreed. Louisville vs Raleigh/Durham would've been more balanced for sure. The OP forgot to mention that Charlotte has Major League Soccer in addition to the NBA and NFL.
Yeah, that's more in-line, in terms of population size. But Raleigh/Durham's explosive growth and booming economy are not in the same league as Louisville's slow growth, compared.

I think cities more aligned really well with Louisville of today, are Birmingham, Memphis, and Richmond.

Louisville metro: 1.3 million
Memphis metro: 1.35 million
Richmond metro: 1.3 million
Birmingham metro: 1.2 million

Ranking these 4 in terms of least to most "renowned"--

4 Richmond
3 Birmingham
2 Louisville
1 Memphis

Of the 4, Memphis is the only one with a professional sports team (NBA's Grizzlies), other than that, they are all very similar.

Last edited by jjbradleynyc; 12-19-2021 at 04:08 PM..

Old 12-19-2021, 04:18 PM

5,003 posts, read 5,983,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whereiend View Post
How so? I feel like Charlotte is much more nationally renown than Louisville. That's nothing against Louisville, it's just a notably smaller city that isn't really in the national conscious. Charlotte on the other hand has NFL/NBA teams, major corporate HQs, and is a big airport hub.
On the one hand in real life living in California, people still mix up Charlotte and Charleston. OTOH Charlotte gets mentioned while Louisville probably isn't on most people's radar because it never comes up.

Also, Charlotte's NFL team doesn't have "Charlotte" in the name so that probably doesn't do much for the 80% of the country that aren't NFL fans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City