Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2021, 11:12 AM

3,885 posts, read 2,194,795 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
St. Louis. Both are legacy cities known for heavy industrialization and population loss. Reputations overshadowed by crime, drugs, violence and dilapidated inner cities. Very underrated in terms of built environment and neighborhood amenities. Both have slipped down in their respective tiers.

Louisville, KY
I'm thinking Cincinnati. Both border or spill over into each other's state. Probably similar culturally as well. Providence RI?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2021, 08:45 PM

899 posts, read 517,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brock2010 View Post
I'm thinking Cincinnati. Both border or spill over into each other's state. Probably similar culturally as well. Providence RI?
New Haven is another city with a strong working class, but is also home to an Ivy League.

Springfield, MA

Old 12-31-2021, 08:41 AM

420 posts, read 302,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by General I80 View Post
New Haven is another city with a strong working class, but is also home to an Ivy League.

Springfield, MA
Hartford, CT both are inland New England cities where black and Latino populations make up 60 to 70 percent of the population. Both cities have also seen population declines during the 60s and 70s but Springfield has able to come back from the dead while Hartford has continued to decline.
Now into regions of cities South Los Angeles especially south central

Old 12-31-2021, 11:04 AM

23,521 posts, read 24,000,129 times
A portion of Oakland, CA (e.g., East Oakland) would be similar to South Central Los Angeles. Large African American population in both parts of the cities. I believe both cities have seen an increase in Hispanic populations in the last 20 years, or so. East Oakland has seen an increase in the Asian population also.

Next - Bellevue, WA

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoliticsLover2003 View Post
Hartford, CT both are inland New England cities where black and Latino populations make up 60 to 70 percent of the population. Both cities have also seen population declines during the 60s and 70s but Springfield has able to come back from the dead while Hartford has continued to decline.
Now into regions of cities South Los Angeles especially south central

Last edited by ccm123; 12-31-2021 at 11:16 AM..

Old 12-31-2021, 11:32 AM

6,542 posts, read 12,037,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccm123 View Post
A portion of Oakland, CA (e.g., East Oakland) would be similar to South Central Los Angeles. Large African American population in both parts of the cities. I believe both cities have seen an increase in Hispanic populations in the last 20 years, or so. East Oakland has seen an increase in the Asian population also.

Next - Bellevue, WA
Sandy Springs, GA since I'm familiar with that one. They are both suburban edge cities.

Atlanta, GA

Old 12-31-2021, 12:11 PM

12,159 posts, read 7,989,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
Sandy Springs, GA since I'm familiar with that one. They are both suburban edge cities.

Atlanta, GA
Charlotte NC! Both great new cities with rich African American culture with fast growing economies in banking. Huge suburban sprawl. Very nice brick homes. Both light rail.

How about… Syracuse NY? OUTSIDE the State of New York hmmm…

Old 12-31-2021, 04:00 PM

9,679 posts, read 9,380,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Charlotte NC! Both great new cities with rich African American culture with fast growing economies in banking. Huge suburban sprawl. Very nice brick homes. Both light rail.

How about… Syracuse NY? OUTSIDE the State of New York hmmm…
Toledo, OH. Both known for manufacturing. Toledo and Syracuse share access to numerous lakes and waterways. Both have declining populations and middle of the pack in their respective states. Museums and children's activities are also a part of their appeal.

Winston-Salem, NC

Old 12-31-2021, 09:15 PM

899 posts, read 517,468 times
Quote:
Toledo, OH. Both known for manufacturing. Toledo and Syracuse share access to numerous lakes and waterways. Both have declining populations and middle of the pack in their respective states. Museums and children's activities are also a part of their appeal.

Winston-Salem, NC
Johnson City, TN is another city that has more than one city of similar or slightly less significance in the metro area. It's also not very walkable.

Asheville, NC

Old 12-31-2021, 11:54 PM

9,679 posts, read 9,380,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by General I80 View Post
Johnson City, TN is another city that has more than one city of similar or slightly less significance in the metro area. It's also not very walkable.

Asheville, NC
This one is tough, but I will say Chattanooga. You have neat, eclectic downtowns. Natural and organic restaurants. More progressive than most cities in this peer group. Both have attracted young people and service oriented jobs.

Milwaukee, WI

Old 01-01-2022, 12:22 AM

6,375 posts, read 4,989,995 times
Quote:
Milwaukee, WI
I'll say Buffalo. Metros aren't too far apart in population, are right on the Great Lakes, and both have some kind of rail system. Urban forms feel similar, with a lot of wood-frame houses. Both are also definitely Rust Belt, but less dilapidated and hollowed-out than a lot of other Rust Belt cities, and have the attendant large populations of Eastern and Southern Europeans.

Topeka, KS
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City