Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which Mexican paradise do you prefer?
Cabo San Lucas - Baja California Sur 7 21.21%
Cancun - Quintana Roo 7 21.21%
Puerto Vallarta - Jalisco 19 57.58%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2022, 11:14 AM

1,122 posts, read 928,163 times

Advertisements

Just how cool is Sayulita? They filmed Predator in those spooky, unspoiled jungles up the ridge line...... One thing: Gringo's have been known to go into the jungle usually don't come out.......... That kind of jungle next to the most pristine tropical surf/ paradise village in North America?? You betcha or ten miles south down is Bucerias near the airstrip where George Jung got his pot in Blow (now a bunch of high end resorts). Don't tell anybody.

The waves aren't the best in town. But, beginners, novices and the odd kooks can get in a few.... it takes a very substantial northwest swell (Dec-Feb) to get El Faro thumping (off the end of the main peninsula). But there's so much exclusive, private property over there, you're not likely to see a decent video of it going off, which occasionally (happens).

Here's some the far lesser break on a nice day:
the main beach in Sayulita.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWPxiVdQAas

Last edited by odurandina; 01-08-2022 at 11:24 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2022, 12:17 PM

1,965 posts, read 1,272,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifat View Post
Puerto Peñasco is just a beige desert wasteland with a beach. There's absolutely nothing worth seeing there at all.

Old 01-08-2022, 01:00 PM

23,575 posts, read 24,102,669 times
Puerto Vallarta.

Old 01-08-2022, 03:27 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,830,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kemahkami View Post
You inquired about the absence of Puerto Peñasco in the thread poll. And I was thinking that it was due to OP's emphasis on winter — the three cities chosen on the poll are in the tropical zone, whereas Puerto Peñasco's cooler winter temps (within subtropical zone, similar to Yuma) is probably what led him to excluding it.

Yuma and Phoenix are cold in the winter, who would've thought

Old 01-08-2022, 03:30 PM

571 posts, read 1,175,414 times
It's 70 degrees today in Phoenix 1/8/22. That's only cold to people acclimated to summer temps close to 120. To the northern half of the country Phoenix never gets cold. This is where my sister lives in Washington state....this is cold.

bp gasoline near me

Old 01-08-2022, 03:51 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,830,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJKirkland View Post
It's 70 degrees today in Phoenix 1/8/22. That's only cold to people acclimated to summer temps close to 120. To the northern half of the country Phoenix never gets cold. This is where my sister lives in Washington state....this is cold.

bp gasoline near me

I was being sarcastic. The weather in Puerto Penasco, Yuma and Phoenix in the winter is actually nice to most people, in fact better as it's not so humid and overbearing, but the fact that the other poster indicated that this is somehow cold still is rather... interesting to say the least.

With that being said, now that I know Yuma is a frigid arctic hellscape per kemahkami like Puerto Penasco, I guess polar beaches aren't fun at all. I know I wouldn't want to go to a polar beach.

All Americans want to escape in the winter. Arizonans go into Mexico a lot and yes, for the beach. I still don't understand why it was excluded when the only thing in the main post was essentially about getaways to Mexico. Arizonans are still Americans and we still go here quite often. Just like why Tijuana should also be on here, because it's also a popular destination, even if not by Californians but other Americans.

Old 01-08-2022, 04:02 PM

571 posts, read 1,175,414 times
Hey all good points (sorry for not getting the sarcasm - I have friends in Palm Desert that complain when it gets below 70 ahd I've kinda had it with that sentiment haha) As I say, this was meant to be inclusive all all Americans and Canadians - I didn't mean to exclude popular spots, but the three I created this thread with are what I'm most familiar with. I have a lot of friends in LA and San Diego, and none of them consider TJ a getaway. Why would someone from the northern US to go Tijuana when we could go so many better places (or San Diego which is THE BEST weather in the US).

I am pleasantly surprised that Puerto Vallarta is winning. It's such a great city and region.

Old 01-09-2022, 11:21 AM

36,664 posts, read 67,596,324 times
I like Puerto Vallarta, then Cabo San Lucas.

Old 01-09-2022, 02:15 PM

1,965 posts, read 1,272,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prickly Pear View Post
Yuma and Phoenix are cold in the winter, who would've thought
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prickly Pear View Post
I was being sarcastic. The weather in Puerto Penasco, Yuma and Phoenix in the winter is actually nice to most people, in fact better as it's not so humid and overbearing, but the fact that the other poster indicated that this is somehow cold still is rather... interesting to say the least.

With that being said, now that I know Yuma is a frigid arctic hellscape per kemahkami like Puerto Penasco, I guess polar beaches aren't fun at all. I know I wouldn't want to go to a polar beach.

All Americans want to escape in the winter. Arizonans go into Mexico a lot and yes, for the beach. I still don't understand why it was excluded when the only thing in the main post was essentially about getaways to Mexico. Arizonans are still Americans and we still go here quite often. Just like why Tijuana should also be on here, because it's also a popular destination, even if not by Californians but other Americans.
Nope, your obtuse behavior here is not necessary — I'm not arguing with you at all. As I stated previously, my posts were simply follow-ups w/possible answer regarding your inquiry of Puerto Peñasco's absence from the poll here.

I never said anything about Puerto Peñasco (or even Yuma, Phoenix, etc) as being "too cold during winter" — matter of fact, I agree with you about their ideal properties regarding mild, non-overbearing warmth. All I did was simply state the relative coolness compared to the other three cities on the poll as a possible factor regarding why OP might have made the exclusion.

Especially given the context of discourse regarding a beach vacationing — an activity commonly associated w/ hotter, more tropical weather. In that same context, Tijuana's exclusion is also warranted — arguably less ideal than Puerto Peñasco even.

Alternatively ... OP simply wanted to keep the poll concise and included only three cities. Same reason why places like Acapulco, Cozumel, etc, are absent as well.

Old 01-10-2022, 02:24 PM

101 posts, read 171,992 times
Living in Florida, I can say that many people come here for two things- relaxation and entertainment. Our state offers SOOO much more than just the theme parks, but I can hardly blame people for wanting to see them and then relax at the beach either.

Mexico is an incredible, diverse, and unique country. It's size is underestimated and the attractions are definitely some of the best the world has to offer. However, many tourists simply come for sun, sand, and fun; and there is nothing wrong with that. While Oaxaca and Mexico City are certainly well worth visiting and have so much to see, for relaxation, few places beat the Mexican seafront resorts. They are generally safe, lively, a good bargain, and easily accessible from the US.

From the three listed, I would choose Cancun because Mayan ruins fascinate me and it is warm there in the winter. Cabo is great, but too cold for me outside summer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City