Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best area to live in according to my criteria
Chicago metro 21 53.85%
Detroit metro 6 15.38%
Twin cities 9 23.08%
Grand Rapids 7 17.95%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2022, 12:03 AM

19 posts, read 65,784 times

Advertisements

Hi, I'm a 34-year-old AA currently living on the eastside of Milwaukee. Trying to make a decision by springtime; Looking to relocate to either of these areas: Chicago metro (Waukegan, Aurora, Elgin, Joliet), Detroit metro (Dearborn, Warren), Twin cities, and Grand Rapids (Wyoming).

I work in quality assurance, primarily in manufacturing, as a CMM Programmer and Technician. I'm trying to live around 5-6 hours from MKE due to having a 4-year-old child fulltime, whose mother will remain here. (I'd move to the Phoenix metro in a heartbeat due to a plethora of opportunities in my field and sunshine, but this ongoing PANDEMIC is limiting my options to midwestern cities within driving range: eek

I'm liberal minded, single, laid back, I like walking, and would like to buy a house someday.

I've lived in the Waukegan area in my early 20s and liked it a lot. Chicago is the much larger and better version of MKE.
I always love both Twin cities when visiting.
Detroit is on the come up, and I've read the suburbs are decent.
Grand Rapids has a great economy and although a smaller city and metro it seems to punch above its weight. Also, it seems to be similar to Des Moines and Omaha (2 cities I absolutely loved when visiting).

I'm looking for an area with:
Diversity (a Hispanic presence)
Fun for kids, decent nightlife
Natural beauty
Decent public schools. My child will be starting pre-K (or K4) in the fall.
I'm willing to spend around $1,100 for a 2+ BR apartment.

I've researched these areas extensively. Only place I haven't visited yet is Grand Rapids.

Looking for input, suggestions, questions, etc. on what you guys think may be the best area for me and my child.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2022, 12:28 PM

93,292 posts, read 123,941,088 times
For the Detroit area, I’d look into Farmington/Farmington Hills, perhaps the parts of Harper Woods in the Grosse Pointe SD or Royal Oak before Dearborn or Warren, but that’s just me. Some of the Downriver communities may work better in terms of a Hispanic population. Lincoln Park is one worth looking into. Melvindale is another one.

For Grand Rapids, I’d look into Kentwood and Comstock Park too.

If you were to consider the Lansing area, the Waverly SD/West Lansing area in Eaton County, Holt and maybe East Lansing would be some good suburban choices with good schools and some cultural diversity.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 01-09-2022 at 12:39 PM..

Old 01-09-2022, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
For the Detroit area, I’d look into Farmington/Farmington Hills, perhaps the parts of Harper Woods in the Grosse Pointe SD or Royal Oak before Dearborn or Warren, but that’s just me. Some of the Downriver communities may work better in terms of a Hispanic population. Lincoln Park is one worth looking into. Melvindale is another one.

For Grand Rapids, I’d look into Kentwood and Comstock Park too.

If you were to consider the Lansing area, the Waverly SD/West Lansing area in Eaton County, Holt and maybe East Lansing would be some good suburban choices with good schools and some cultural diversity.
Awesome. Thanks a lot. I will definitely look at those areas of Detroit metro, and Grand Rapids. I'll look into the Lansing area also.

Old 01-12-2022, 03:44 PM

93,292 posts, read 123,941,088 times
Something else that just came to mind is that there is actually a ferry that goes across Lake Michigan from Milwaukee to Muskegon MI, which is about a 40 minute drive from Grand Rapids. https://www.lake-express.com/schedule/

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Ferr...42.9633599!3e0

So, that may be something to consider in regards to Grand Rapids, as what would be about an 4 hour and 20 minute drive or so, could only be about 3 hours and 15 minutes or so.

Same could apply with Lansing as well(would be about 40-45 minutes shorter).

Would suggest Muskegon itself, but it is a smaller immediate area. It would meet the diversity criteria and a school district like Orchard View would work.

Old 07-09-2023, 05:04 PM

1,915 posts, read 3,240,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cstarrzflow View Post
Hi, I'm a 34-year-old AA currently living on the eastside of Milwaukee. Trying to make a decision by springtime; Looking to relocate to either of these areas: Chicago metro (Waukegan, Aurora, Elgin, Joliet), Detroit metro (Dearborn, Warren), Twin cities, and Grand Rapids (Wyoming).

I work in quality assurance, primarily in manufacturing, as a CMM Programmer and Technician. I'm trying to live around 5-6 hours from MKE due to having a 4-year-old child fulltime, whose mother will remain here. (I'd move to the Phoenix metro in a heartbeat due to a plethora of opportunities in my field and sunshine, but this ongoing PANDEMIC is limiting my options to midwestern cities within driving range: eek

I'm liberal minded, single, laid back, I like walking, and would like to buy a house someday.

I've lived in the Waukegan area in my early 20s and liked it a lot. Chicago is the much larger and better version of MKE.
I always love both Twin cities when visiting.
Detroit is on the come up, and I've read the suburbs are decent.
Grand Rapids has a great economy and although a smaller city and metro it seems to punch above its weight. Also, it seems to be similar to Des Moines and Omaha (2 cities I absolutely loved when visiting).

I'm looking for an area with:
Diversity (a Hispanic presence)
Fun for kids, decent nightlife
Natural beauty
Decent public schools. My child will be starting pre-K (or K4) in the fall.
I'm willing to spend around $1,100 for a 2+ BR apartment.

I've researched these areas extensively. Only place I haven't visited yet is Grand Rapids.

Looking for input, suggestions, questions, etc. on what you guys think may be the best area for me and my child.

Did you ever end up moving? I think you were looking at Cincinnati a few years ago. Lots of jobs and Hispanic presence in Texas, lots of successful diverse professionals in most of that state, but it's far from WI.

Old 07-09-2023, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Htown2013 View Post
Did you ever end up moving? I think you were looking at Cincinnati a few years ago. Lots of jobs and Hispanic presence in Texas, lots of successful diverse professionals in most of that state, but it's far from WI.
Yes. I actually moved to of all places Phoenix. I liked it, despite some flaws. I ended up back in Wisconsin four months later due to my son’s mother reneging on our agreement to have my son full time. I know I would have liked Texas - Houston, Dallas-Fort Worth, and San Antonio more than Phoenix haha.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City