Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most scenic metro?
Atlanta, GA 15 16.67%
Birmingham, AL 5 5.56%
Boston, MA 10 11.11%
Buffalo, NY 1 1.11%
Charlotte, NC 1 1.11%
Cincinnati, OH 2 2.22%
Houston, TX 4 4.44%
Miami, FL 16 17.78%
Minneapolis, MN 1 1.11%
Pittsburgh, PA 24 26.67%
Raleigh, NC 0 0%
Rochester, NY 2 2.22%
San Antonio, TX 0 0%
Virginia Beach-Norfolk, VA 4 4.44%
Other (Please list) 5 5.56%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2022, 12:50 PM

133 posts, read 95,601 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Losfrisco View Post
In MIami's case, tropical does not equal scenic, IMO.

Miami is scenic in the same way Milwaukee or Cleveland is.

I voted Pittsburgh.

Please find me a video like this of Milwaukee or Cleveland. Vegas might be Sin City but Miami is Vice-Sim-City.

https://youtu.be/HMmQu4zn1KQ

Last edited by Harbits; 01-10-2022 at 01:05 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2022, 12:57 PM

1,965 posts, read 1,266,781 times
In honor of dominance the tropical/subtropical attribute has received so far this thread, Miami earns first place without any exception. A distant second can go to Houston, by default of being the second warmest year-round city on the list. Although inland, San Antonio has low enough latitude/mild enough winters to achieve a distant third.

Old 01-10-2022, 01:11 PM

17,156 posts, read 15,373,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nadnerb View Post

I feel like a lot of Americans think that Miami is this super unique place because they are comparing it to their corner in the US and forgetting that the rest of the world exists. There are a plethora of large cities in the world that are just as tropical as Miami.
Keywords from the poster you responded to: Urban, First World.

List?

Old 01-10-2022, 01:11 PM

4,211 posts, read 3,293,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbits View Post
Please find me a video like this of Milwaukee or Cleveland. Vegas might be Sin City but Miami is Vice-Sim-City.

That video is overwhelmingly comprised of man made scenery, not natural scenery. Finding a similar video of Cleveland, Milwaukee, Erie, etc. shouldn't be too hard. Miami would have more buildings and sunshine, thats it.

Florida is flat, and its beaches look more like Great Lake beaches than anything else.

Old 01-10-2022, 01:24 PM

1,965 posts, read 1,266,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losfrisco View Post
That video is overwhelmingly comprised of man made scenery, not natural scenery. Finding a similar video of Cleveland, Milwaukee, Erie, etc. shouldn't be too hard. Miami would have more buildings and sunshine, thats it.
"Man-made" is natural. Everything in this universe is natural. But even granting that...

Quote:
Florida is flat and its beaches look more like Great Lake beaches than anything else.
Flatness is inconsequential. Your statement is illogical, unless you can show me the coconuts/proliferous tropical vegetation growing throughout the Great Lakes.

Old 01-10-2022, 02:41 PM

16,696 posts, read 29,515,591 times
Atlanta
Pittsburgh
Birmingham

Old 01-10-2022, 03:18 PM

542 posts, read 1,107,316 times
I voted other. I like the canals, and vibe of Ft. Lauderdale. Of the cities listed, Miami, Cincinnati, and Pittsburgh.

Old 01-10-2022, 03:29 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,156,607 times
You can always depend on posts in C-D trashing or downplaying Miami. Thanks everyone for not disappointing me.

I've been to SG a few times and live in Miami. There definitely are some similarities between the two and the weather in SG, everytime I went there, was like Miami in the late Summer or early Autumn. In other words, very hot, humid and rainy.
Not sure how to exactly describe this, but I'd say that Miami feels more geographically delicate. While both cities have reclaimed land on their edges, the natural environment of SG is more rugged overall.
Both cities have a flashy for sure that contributes to their built environment. Both have districts that maintain the charm of yesteryear juxtaposed against glass, steel and architectural flashiness. SG feels wealthier than Miami, though a lot of money from elsewhere migrates to Miami.
SG is very clean and almost sterile. It's not gritty at all from what I have seen. That has its pluses and minuses.

Old 01-10-2022, 05:50 PM

3,575 posts, read 3,075,384 times
Since the discussion is scenic metro area, not just immediate city, the Buffalo metro has a LOT of variety going for it. I suspect most people are unfamiliar with most of Western NY outside of Niagara Falls itself, and maybe a little bit of Buffalo.

Niagara Falls
American Falls
Bridal Veil

Niagara Gorge
Lower Rapids
Devil's Hole
Devil's Hole Trail

Lake Erie -
Inner Harbor
Erie Basin
Outer Harbor
Lakeshore Road
Evangola

Lake Ontario -
Fort Niagara
Golden Hill

Upper Niagara River
Shoreline Trail
Peace Bridge
Riverside
Niawanda

Lower Niagara River
River Bank

Local streams, creeks, gorges, and falls -
Glen Park Falls
Glen Park Falls
Eternal Flame
Eternal Flame Falls
Buttermilk Falls
Akron Falls
Zoar Valley
Zoar Valley Falls
Emery Falls
Buffalo Creek

Hills, vistas, villages, etc:
Lockport Locks
East Aurora
Kissing Bridge
Chestnut Ridge

Downtown
Canalside
Marina

For anyone interested in seeing more of the Buffalo inner city neighborhoods, and a few of the suburbs, see the Flickr Buffalo Neighborhood albums.

Old 01-10-2022, 06:09 PM

2,226 posts, read 1,397,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbits View Post

Here's an equivalent Austin video:

Not sure how Houston made this list and we didn't!!

I'd probably go with Cincinnati or Pittsburgh of these cities, personally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City