Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2022, 12:31 PM

8,337 posts, read 5,492,671 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Yeah, San Diego has a fairly sizable tech industry as well.

Speaking of California, I am excited for the future of the state's coming workforce and future talent currently being trained and educated at UCs and CSUs.

Demand for entry is at an all time high despite criteria being more strict. Especially since Hispanics are now the largest racial group being admitted for the second year in a row. That ia a very good indicator of major growth acrosa racial lines. BRAVO!

Top 10 US Colleges/Universities By Applications For Admissions, 2021
108,877 UC Los Angeles
100,073 UC San Diego
97,942 UC Irvine
90,963 UC Santa Barbara
88,076 UC Berkeley
80,210 NYU
76,225 UC Davis
73,861 Penn State U
67,402 Cal State U Long Beach
65,021 U Michigan Ann Arbor

https://www.usnews.com/education/bes...t-applications
You’re confusing where people are educated vs. where they live. My wife and I both graduated from UCLA, neither of us live there. Just depends on industry. Since the premise of this thread is tech talent and not across industry, it’s easy to see why California is so popular. Same with cinematic or entertainment talent but that’s not covered.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2022, 12:41 PM

21,629 posts, read 12,754,191 times
*feigns surprise*

Old 02-08-2022, 01:17 PM

36,655 posts, read 67,506,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
You’re confusing where people are educated vs. where they live. My wife and I both graduated from UCLA, neither of us live there. Just depends on industry. Since the premise of this thread is tech talent and not across industry, it’s easy to see why California is so popular. Same with cinematic or entertainment talent but that’s not covered.
No I'm not confusing anything at all and I don't even understand your umbrage. The overwhelming vast majority of UC and CSU grads stay in state, if you dont live here that's fine too-but I can certainly be happy that the most prestigious and highly regarded public university system in the world, run by and primarily serving the State of California is continuing it's cycle of turning out brilliant graduates of every walk of life, as it should be. California benefits from that. Right? If other states reap some benefits great.

Furthermore, contrary to the narrative that tears down public education, the kids in K-12 are doing very well at least as far as qualifying for UC-we need to build more campuses in fact.
https://www.latimes.com/california/s...ts-how-to-help

Oh and I am also a UCLA alumni. I knew there was something about you I liked.

Old 02-08-2022, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
No I'm not confusing anything at all and I don't even understand your umbrage. The overwhelming vast majority of UC and CSU grads stay in state, if you dont live here that's fine too-but I can certainly be happy that the most prestigious and highly regarded public university system in the world, run by and primarily serving the State of California is continuing it's cycle of turning out brilliant graduates of every walk of life, as it should be. California benefits from that. Right? If other states reap some benefits great.

Furthermore, contrary to the narrative that tears down public education, the kids in K-12 are doing very well at least as far as qualifying for UC-we need to build more campuses in fact.
https://www.latimes.com/california/s...ts-how-to-help

Oh and I am also a UCLA alumni. I knew there was something about you I liked.
I dont think any state comes close to the amount of quality universities that California has. I know over here in Texas, the only university that goes toe-to-toe with a place like Stanford, Berkley, or UCLA is Rice. Some of them are getting hard to get into as well as cost prohibitive out there.

You went to UCLA too? Nice! What year did you graduate? I spent most my time in North Campus personally.

Going back to the original topic, I feel like there is a difference between cities with flagship economies (SF, Boston, Houston, Seattle, and even Detroit) vs. those whose strength lies in their economic diversity (Chicago, Dallas, Atlanta, Minneapolis, etc.). Places with flagship economies are the worldwide centers of certain industries. That makes it easier to attract foreign talent who specialize in those industries. People will often grow up an be educated abroad but move straight there. Places with really diverse economies do still attract foreign talent but its usually involving either people educated here or people who have family in those cities that they immigrate to and then find a job.

Seeing that the Bay Area and Boston are attracting the most foreign tech talent shouldnt shock one single person. In Houston, we are that but for energy talent.

Old 02-08-2022, 02:59 PM

5,016 posts, read 3,916,343 times
Quote:
Going back to the original topic, I feel like there is a difference between cities with flagship economies (SF, Boston, Houston, Seattle, and even Detroit) vs. those whose strength lies in their economic diversity (Chicago, Dallas, Atlanta, Minneapolis, etc.). Places with flagship economies are the worldwide centers of certain industries. That makes it easier to attract foreign talent who specialize in those industries. People will often grow up an be educated abroad but move straight there. Places with really diverse economies do still attract foreign talent but its usually involving either people educated here or people who have family in those cities that they immigrate to and then find a job.

Seeing that the Bay Area and Boston are attracting the most foreign tech talent shouldnt shock one single person. In Houston, we are that but for energy talent.
I don't disagree with what you're saying, but you (and some other posters upthread) seem to have the idea that places like San Francisco and Boston lack economic diversity.

Both are top Financial Centres, globally. Right up there with cities like Chicago, and NYC (p/capita). GFCI seems to be the unofficial metrics used in most publications.

https://www.longfinance.net/programm.../gfci-30-rank/

Aside from tech and finance, they are also global staples in: VC spend/funding, R&D, Bio, Robotics, Healthcare, and Higher Education.

Old 02-08-2022, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post
I don't disagree with what you're saying, but you (and some other posters upthread) seem to have the idea that places like San Francisco and Boston lack economic diversity.

Both are top Financial Centres, globally. Right up there with cities like Chicago, and NYC (p/capita). GFCI seems to be the unofficial metrics used in most publications.

https://www.longfinance.net/programm.../gfci-30-rank/

Aside from tech and finance, they are also global staples in: VC spend/funding, R&D, Bio, Robotics, Healthcare, and Higher Education.
Parts of the Bay Area do lack economic diversity, yes. Especially the South Bay where San Jose is. Thats almost entirely tech.

Old 02-08-2022, 03:48 PM

Quote:
I dont think any state comes close to the amount of quality universities that California has. I know over here in Texas, the only university that goes toe-to-toe with a place like Stanford, Berkley, or UCLA is Rice. Some of them are getting hard to get into as well as cost prohibitive out there.

You went to UCLA too? Nice! What year did you graduate? I spent most my time in North Campus personally.

Boston economy is super diverse. That’s why it’s insulated form recessions and crime waves. Textiles/apparel Healthcare(world leader), Biopharma(world leader), Education (world leader, non profits, tech, finance, hospitality/tourism

Amazing that in 10 years Boston gone from the very fringes of tech to known as singularly tech apparently. It was like a whisper/rumor in 2010.

Old 02-08-2022, 05:30 PM

14,166 posts, read 9,058,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Boston economy is super diverse. That’s why it’s insulated form recessions and crime waves. Textiles/apparel Healthcare(world leader), Biopharma(world leader), Education (world leader, non profits, tech, finance, hospitality/tourism

Amazing that in 10 years Boston gone from the very fringes of tech to known as singularly tech apparently. It was like a whisper/rumor in 2010.
Um, really?

The computing revolution may have started with ENIAC in Philadelphia, but it boomed along the beltway around Boston built between roughly 1955 and 1965 — Route 128, "America's Technology Highway" (as the signs erected on it proclaimed in the 1970s). That number has now been officially retired along most of its length in favor of Interstates 93 and 95, but I think the legend lingers.

Two of the biggest names in computing in the 1970s, Digital Equipment Corporation and Wang Computer, were headquartered either along or within shouting distance of 128 (Digital was headquartered in Maynard, Wang in Lowell, which is actually on the outer beltway, I-495).

Old 02-08-2022, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
Um, really?

The computing revolution may have started with ENIAC in Philadelphia, but it boomed along the beltway around Boston built between roughly 1955 and 1965 — Route 128, "America's Technology Highway" (as the signs erected on it proclaimed in the 1970s). That number has now been officially retired along most of its length in favor of Interstates 93 and 95, but I think the legend lingers.

Two of the biggest names in computing in the 1970s, Digital Equipment Corporation and Wang Computer, were headquartered either along or within shouting distance of 128 (Digital was headquartered in Maynard, Wang in Lowell, which is actually on the outer beltway, I-495).
Yes that existed but tech as we know it today wasn’t seen as Boston, we very much wrote about it in the media as something by new and something coming from Silicon Valley. And that was very much In The suburbs back when suburban office parks dominated the Boston white collar scene. Tech- in Boston - is very new.

Bear with me because when I refer to Boston I’m always talking about the city- even if that’s not appropriate. The seaport is also known. Or at least was supposed to be known as the Innovation district. A planned district that was built to do what it does today. Lure tech inside of the city from the suburbs and create a synergy that would make Boston rival Silicon Valley and bring its tech bonafides in the city.

Old 02-08-2022, 06:02 PM

Another look at how people wrote about Tech in Boston a decade ago.

Business software booms in Massachusetts

"The Hub is riding an unprecedented wave of enterprise software success, with investors and entrepreneurs flocking to startups that provide tech solutions to business clients."

Map: Boston's startup boom will continue into 2014

Rewind the clock one year, to December 2012, and the city of Boston didn't seem like a very obvious place to try to build a startup. There were only a handful of places you could go to find a half-dozen or more startups clustered in the same spot.

Boston: The start-up revolution reviving its tech cred
Boston was once America’s most thriving tech hub. But Silicon Valley’s ascendancy tarnished its reputation. Could a rash of new start-ups signal a resurgence?

Paul Graham on Why Boston Should Worry About Its Future as a Tech Hub—Says Region Focuses On Ideas, Not Startups:

"That didn't stop him from a candid assessment of the Boston innovation scene, however. “Boston just doesn't have the startup culture that the Valley does,”"

Remember, Facebook left Boston immediately..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City