Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2022, 10:03 AM

7,736 posts, read 5,514,664 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbits View Post
They have a writeup like this below for all 100 cities on the list. Looks pretty legit to me. Seems like they were going for a group of diverse cities so that everyone can find their remote niche. Tons of great cities on that list. Check out their Country Explorer too. It's pretty awesome.

"Johnstown might not be your first thought for a Pennsylvania destination, but Cambria and Somerset counties are offering $5,000 in cash and benifits to qualifying new residents. The cost of living is below the national average in this mid-sized city. Johnstown offers views of the mountains and a slower pace for those looking for city amenities without the big city headaches. Digital nomads might want to stop by for the Flood City Music Festival in August. Winters can be cold, and if you're looking for vibrant nightlife, this town might not be for you. For quiet, stability, and affordability, though, Johnstown in an attractive option."

But doesn't that make quantifying something so subjective into a top 100 kind of silly? Johnstown is #41 and Paris, France is #42. The nexus of their 'affordability' / 'QOL' measurements might have come up with that determination, but in a practical sense, are there really people out there contemplating Johnstown or Paris? In fact, if the local media ran this story in Johnstown, most people would probably get a good laugh out of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2022, 10:30 AM

133 posts, read 95,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
But doesn't that make quantifying something so subjective into a top 100 kind of silly? Johnstown is #41 and Paris, France is #42. The nexus of their 'affordability' / 'QOL' measurements might have come up with that determination, but in a practical sense, are there really people out there contemplating Johnstown or Paris? In fact, if the local media ran this story in Johnstown, most people would probably get a good laugh out of it.

Since it looks like they were going for a really diverse set of cities, the actual rankings probably don't mean as much as just getting on the list in the first place.

Old 02-11-2022, 10:45 AM

8,334 posts, read 5,492,671 times
Looked through it, its random. I dont see any rhyme or reason and yes I looked at the methodology.

We can make it simple by saying that the best city for remote work is whatever city you prefer. If you dont have to live in a specific city, youll simply go to one that you like.

Old 02-11-2022, 11:41 AM

10,062 posts, read 14,434,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbits View Post

--Best Destinations for Remote Work 2021--

-U.S. Cities With Over 300k Population Ranked-

1) Boston, Massachusetts

2) Denver, Colorado

3) Minneapolis, Minnesota

4) Miami, Florida

5) Seattle, Washington

6) Tucson, Arizona

7) Las Vegas, Nevada

8) Omaha, Nebraska

9) Honolulu, Hawaii

10) New York, New York

I would 110% agree with these--
Denver - vibrant big city, tons to do with bars/restaurants/entertainment. Amazing access to the rockies
Boston - vibrant big city, cosmopolitan options, tons to do in Boston and surrounding Cape Cod/New England
Miami - big city entertainment options, tons of beach, ocean, tropical activities year round
Tucson - tons to do outdoor-wise; weather super mild in the winter, stunning sunny days most of the year
Honolulu - tropical paradise with year-round warmth, and big city options
New York City - largest city in the US options, and tons to do in the region

Maybe's--
Las Vegas - nice winter weather, lots of outdoor options. Not a city for a lot of ppl due to huge tourists draw and gambling mecca
Seattle - awesome big city options but sometimes gloomy and rainy weather is a bummer and not the best for many people

No thanks--
Minneapolis - frigid winters full of ice, snow and sub zero wind chills for 5 months a year is a big "no"
Omaha - too small of a city to offer a lot of variety; not a ton to do outdoors-y in the region with rolling or flat prairie

Old 02-11-2022, 11:44 AM

10,062 posts, read 14,434,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
I was surprised to see NYC on that list, even at number 10…I was under the impression that people were fleeing the city last year for more space in upstate or on Long Island and/or to other states, such as FL, for less Covid restrictions.
Nah-that's sensationalized by the national media--with channels like Fox News, leading the sensational way.

Some folks left, but many have returned, or making plans to return.

The city has surged back to life and is bustling well once again.

Old 02-11-2022, 12:29 PM

9,869 posts, read 6,583,760 times
In my opinion, the best remote cities are the cheaper ones with access to a major airport.

So… Phoenix, Houston, Dallas, Detroit etc

Old 02-12-2022, 10:25 AM

1,260 posts, read 1,102,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
In my opinion, the best remote cities are the cheaper ones with access to a major airport.

So… Phoenix, Houston, Dallas, Detroit etc
I was thinking the same thing. For me the criteria would be , Airport access, low COL and scenic beauty.

Old 02-12-2022, 10:34 AM

14,020 posts, read 15,011,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
I would 110% agree with these--
Denver - vibrant big city, tons to do with bars/restaurants/entertainment. Amazing access to the rockies
Boston - vibrant big city, cosmopolitan options, tons to do in Boston and surrounding Cape Cod/New England
Miami - big city entertainment options, tons of beach, ocean, tropical activities year round
Tucson - tons to do outdoor-wise; weather super mild in the winter, stunning sunny days most of the year
Honolulu - tropical paradise with year-round warmth, and big city options
New York City - largest city in the US options, and tons to do in the region

Maybe's--
Las Vegas - nice winter weather, lots of outdoor options. Not a city for a lot of ppl due to huge tourists draw and gambling mecca
Seattle - awesome big city options but sometimes gloomy and rainy weather is a bummer and not the best for many people

No thanks--
Minneapolis - frigid winters full of ice, snow and sub zero wind chills for 5 months a year is a big "no"
Omaha - too small of a city to offer a lot of variety; not a ton to do outdoors-y in the region with rolling or flat prairie
Minneapolis is surrounded by an large hinterland. And the idea you might have to go on location up to Lacrosse or Fargo twice a month probably means you want to be somewhere in the region.

I generally think remote work will benefit 2 main towns

1) resort towns 2hrs-3hrs from major cities, Conway NH, Outer Banks, Ozarks,

2) major cities that white collar professionals are no longer tied to small rural towns/small cities like Torrington CT or Pontiac IL.

Think about how many people would like to move to NYC if they didn’t need to work in Binghamton or Paducah. If you didn’t need to land a NYC job people would move to there probably more than NYC people move away

Old 02-12-2022, 10:45 AM

7,108 posts, read 8,966,855 times
I actually like the top five on the list. I am beginning to see the low tax and cheap enclaves are not usually beneficial for most city people. They just don't function very well as cities. The next person may like the low cost of living options. Each person is different.

Old 02-12-2022, 12:27 PM

7,270 posts, read 10,593,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
Dear Lord. Johnstown made the Top 100?

I'm obviously a big proponent of Pennsylvania's cities, but with all due respect to Johnstown, I can easily think of 100 cities and towns in Pennsylvania alone that are unequivocally better QOL options.

What a hoot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City