Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2022, 11:55 AM

36,655 posts, read 67,506,468 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbits View Post
Well if you were to somehow add in all the wealth that people who visit South Florida from NYC, Europe, South America etc have, but don't actually own a home there, I think South Florida would distance itself by a pretty large margin from many of these metros. It absolutely destroys many of these metros in tourism done by the wealthy and famous, especially these days.
I love your enthusiasm and hometown pride, it's after my own heart, but visiting and actually buying property are 2 different things.

You have to also keep in mind that while Miami attracts out-of-towners and foreign oligarchs, other cities actually have way more homegrown wealth. Dallas and Atlanta are enormous corporate hubs and have excellent amenities all their own.

Quote:
Plus your numbers are from December 2020. I'm much more interested in what they are now since the tide has turned toward South Florida since then even more.
Yeah no, this isnt a number that is going to fluctate that must, and Dec 2020 is the latest data available.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2022, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
Numbers below would not take into account luxury real estate purchases made under a shell corporation whose purpose is to provide anonymity….I am going to assume the data in the OP’s link did, going off of just sale price. Such purchases did warrant attention of the US Treasury Department a few years ago; not sure if their FCEN Division is still requiring identity disclosures on significant all cash purchases.
Well I suppose it's based on Wealth-Xs research and public records so you are probably correct but these stealth purchases are not enough to change much as far as rankings.

Old 02-14-2022, 12:18 PM

21,618 posts, read 31,197,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Well I suppose it's based on Wealth-Xs research and public records so you are probably correct but these stealth purchases are not enough to change much as far as rankings.
I did just read that a record 18% of homes were purchased by “investment” [shell] companies in Q4 2021, so I’d be willing to bet it may.

Old 02-14-2022, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
I did just read that a record 18% of homes were purchased by “investment” [shell] companies in Q4 2021, so I’d be willing to bet it may.
Right so we can assume that every city's number is actually 18% bigger, not just Miami.

Old 02-14-2022, 12:27 PM

133 posts, read 95,601 times
Quote:
I love your enthusiasm and hometown pride, it's after my own heart, but visiting and actually buying property are 2 different things.

You have to also keep in mind that while Miami attracts out-of-towners and foreign oligarchs, other cities actually have way more homegrown wealth. Dallas and Atlanta are enormous corporate hubs and have excellent amenities all their own.

Yeah no, this isnt a number that is going to fluctate that must, and Dec 2020 is the latest data available.

One last thing. From your link I was surprised that the Los Angeles metro has almost the same ratio of secondary/primary homes for UHNW individuals as South Florida. Sydney too. London was actually more. Was just surprising to even me that it was so close and many people probably also thought the same. My question is does South Florida have its secondary homes filled up much more than other cities since people actually stay there for 5 months at a time every single year?

There's no room at all left to build in South Florida except upwards and many of those secondary homes are getting filled up year-round now anyways with this current boom going on. Should be a good decade.

Last edited by Harbits; 02-14-2022 at 12:42 PM..

Old 02-14-2022, 12:29 PM

7,409 posts, read 6,547,418 times
I would think NYC, Miami (both cities were subject to investigation by FinCEN) and likely LA—maybe one or two more but not all cities; it might narrow but not necessarily change the overall rankings. I would presume a good percentage of shell companies shielding their identities are foreign real estate investors with above cities accounting for larger than average percentages.

Quote:
Right so we can assume that every city's number is actually 18% bigger, not just Miami.

Last edited by elchevere; 02-14-2022 at 12:54 PM..

Old 02-14-2022, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Eh, not every city. Los Angeles, Miami, Manhattan, San Francisco regularly log the amount of shell properties to be in the 30%+ range of total real estate. That makes sense, since where these cities hold a huge percentage of the nation’s luxury market. Austin, Chicago, Boston, DC and Atlanta are probably well below that 18% skewed by the big four above.

When the federal government began cracking down under the Trump administration, Miami took one of the biggest hits.

Old 02-14-2022, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Eh, not every city. Los Angeles, Miami, Manhattan, San Francisco regularly log the amount of shell properties to be in the 30%+ range of total real estate. That makes sense, since where these cities hold a huge percentage of the nation’s luxury market. Austin, Chicago, Boston, DC and Atlanta are probably well below that 18% skewed by the big four above.

When the federal government began cracking down under the Trump administration, Miami took one of the biggest hits.
Thank you for the insight!

Old 02-14-2022, 01:41 PM

93 posts, read 84,997 times
Quote:
Right? Very strange they’d list LA as metro wide yet split up South FL’s cities, all of which are part of one metro.

Either way, very impressed with South FL’s performance here (yet I guess unsurprising given what’s happened there in the past two years).
Greater LA is actually not metro-wide here either, since Orange County is listed separately.

Old 02-14-2022, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by indiglo_2000 View Post
Greater LA is actually not metro-wide here either, since Orange County is listed separately.
True, but it still includes the rest of the Metro:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greater_Los_Angeles
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City