Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which urban area feels more Southern
Austin, TX 26 23.64%
Richmond, VA 84 76.36%
Voters: 110. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2022, 04:29 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,926,018 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencer114 View Post
Only recently has Austin started to distance itself from its Southern roots.
But keep in mind that this occurred after Texas itself began doing so after the Civil War in order to distance itself from its Confederate past and play up its (very short) history as an independent republic and its Western cultural and historic aspects.

Quote:
Neither area is stereotypically Southern. But what metro over 500K is these days?
I can think of a few candidates such as Augusta, Jackson, Little Rock, Fayetteville (NC), etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2022, 08:24 PM

1,751 posts, read 1,683,469 times
Austin went from Nanci Griffin and Robert Earl Keen to Spoon and the Black Angles at breakneck speed. The Austin sound was greasy guitar and dripping (affectation) southern accents. And sloganeering aside, Texas never made any real attempt to distance itself from the South. It played up the “Texas is its own thing” thing but it turns out Texas’ thing was in lockstep with the South’s thing.

Old 02-24-2022, 09:02 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,926,018 times
Quote:
And sloganeering aside, Texas never made any real attempt to distance itself from the South.
I'd have to disagree somewhat: https://www.texasmonthly.com/being-t...texas-history/

Old 02-24-2022, 11:16 PM

2,226 posts, read 1,396,064 times
Quote:
Austin went from Nanci Griffin and Robert Earl Keen to Spoon and the Black Angles at breakneck speed. The Austin sound was greasy guitar and dripping (affectation) southern accents. And sloganeering aside, Texas never made any real attempt to distance itself from the South. It played up the “Texas is its own thing” thing but it turns out Texas’ thing was in lockstep with the South’s thing.
What about Janice Joplin and Roky Erickson,?

Old 02-25-2022, 06:28 AM

4,379 posts, read 4,620,046 times
Quote:
Also can't forget how popular Stevie Ray Vaughan was back in the gap in Austin. Like I said previously, I use to visit Austin regularly back in 05-07 when I was in college. It looks and feels so unrecognizable even in that short frame of time so I can only imagine how different it feels from many many decades ago. The Austin you see now is not even close to what it use to be culturally.

Old 02-25-2022, 08:45 AM

1,168 posts, read 776,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I'm not seeing how this article supports that. They make it clear that despite the state's unique history many Texans still have a lot of pride in its Confederate heritage, and this is true. There are monuments less than ten years old in Texas, and any movement to remove them or challenge the revisionist history behind them is met with backlash like in any other southern state.

Old 02-25-2022, 08:55 AM

12,830 posts, read 9,547,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whereiend View Post
What about Janice Joplin and Roky Erickson,?
And Bob Schneider. Nothing country about him. Of course, Dale Watson and Gary Clark Jr too

Old 02-25-2022, 08:56 AM

256 posts, read 155,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
Honestly from my personal experiences most Austinites or people living in Austin have little to no connection with East Texas. To a lot of Austinites, East Texas might as well be in Mississippi. You gotta remember a lot of Austinites even have a condescending attitude about cosmopolitan cities like Dallas and Houston let alone a region like East Texas.

I'll give you a perfect example.

Check out this video from Will Edmond a guy from East Texas. He mentions to the Austinite that he's from East Texas and when he brings up the town she literally has no idea of what town he's talking about. It's a town near Texarkana.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCbAb4CzU14

Which his hometown is a 6 hour drive from Austin. Just not enough interaction between both regions to attach it to each other. Even down to the BBQ. It's completely different.

Exactly! My birthplace of Marshall,TX is closer to Vicksburg Mississippi than it is to Austin.

Austin definitely has a southern history. I can recall looking at old footage of Austin from the 70's with people wearing shirts with confederate flags on them and of course Austin's heavy racist past and political structure. Austin was in close proximity to a lot of Freedmen towns in between Austin and Houston. Austin became a destination for those newly freedmen in it's formative years. Austin even has one of the oldest HBCU's in the state. Not only that but UT Austin has a very problematic racist past that feels no different than what you would find in most southern cities during that time period.

Difference is Austin made a complete transformation I'd say somewhere in the late 80's to early 90's and it's southern roots slowly started to fade over time. Not suggesting that it had a strong southern culture to begin with. Again there were White Southerners that established parts of Austin and central Texas but it was a little different too with the wave of German immigrants that had no ties to the southern antebellum. Which is probably another reason Austin in particular feels void of any southern culture.

Than again you said Houston didn't feel southern to you at all. I beg to differ. It's a major cosmopolitan city so of course it wouldn't feel as southern as a rural or smaller southern town with less transplants but it's roots are there. Especially in counties like Fort Bend and Brazos.

Went further than that - most of those Germans were left-wing refugees from the Revolutions of 1848, and actively hostile to the planter class. A good number ended up getting massacred by the Confederates during the Civil War.

Central Texas culture today is much more a mix of German, Tejano, and West Coast culture than anything in the South.

Old 02-25-2022, 09:17 AM

1,534 posts, read 2,771,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
And Bob Schneider. Nothing country about him. Of course, Dale Watson and Gary Clark Jr too
And bands like Los Lonely Boys and the huge contribution of Latinx artists to Austin's music scene more generally . . .

Old 02-25-2022, 09:19 AM

4,344 posts, read 2,805,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
That was an interest article. Long, but very informative.

It isn't saying what you are saying though.

Seems like the gist of the article isn't about Texas being its own thing but how difficult a challenge it is changing incorrect narratives of Texas History. Seems like the majority is dead set against giving up support for the confederacy in addition to support for the republic.

If anything it seems that Texans are proud to be associated with the confederacy but not the US. All that talk about Texas is Texas may not be about it distancing itself from the south but distancing itself from the north.

I think both Texans and non Texans take too much out of Texas's self promotion. A place doesn't make a name for itself by being a second rate version of somewhere else.

Texas, it's like a whole northern country is a great slogan.

Our founding fathers couldn't make it in Tennessee and North Carolina so they came here isn't such a great slogan.

Texas plays up its brief stint at being a republic, so what? It sell. What would you like it to play up? The article is a very long article. Most people would just glance over it, but if you haven't I would recommend you read all the way through. It's about a boy's attempt to change Texas celebrating Confederate Heroes day to a sort of remembrance of the Civil War as a whole and how the Texas legislature was fiercely against that. Seems to me it wasn't about Texas distance itself from the rest of the south but fiercely against recognizing that there were union supporters in Texas too.

The article does say that Texas plays up its cowboy Culture and downplays that the True King is cotton, but again that just marketing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City