Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which urban area feels more Southern
Austin, TX 26 23.64%
Richmond, VA 84 76.36%
Voters: 110. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2022, 11:21 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,291,623 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrex62 View Post
I have spent about 8 years working in Richmond and living east of Austin for 24 years. Richmond does not feel like a southern city when compared to other southern cities I have worked in such as Huntsville, AL; Birmingham, AL; Atlanta, GA; Charlotte, NC; Greenboro, NC; Charleston, SC. Richmond has too much of a northern city feel similar to Washington, DC; Baltimore, MD or Minneapolis, MN. The accents are a bit different, but the attitudes and temperament isn’t as “genteel” as other southern cities.
Austin is very hipster in and around downtown and UT, but in the rest of austin is more like Huntsville or Greensboro than is Richmond. The professional and retiree groups of people in Austin are more relaxed than the same groups in Richmond. The underbelly of Richmond is more “urban” in its outlook than similar peoples in Austin. Austin is likewise more “urban” than some of the southern feeling cities I am familiar with, but much of it is closer than Richmond is.
I will grant that the middle class whites in Richmond are more prone to NASCAR than their Austin counterparts, but the Austonians are more prone drink a case of beer and toss the empties in the bed of their pickup.
I have an extremely hard time believing that Richmond feels more like Minneapolis than Greensboro.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2022, 05:50 AM

12,823 posts, read 9,541,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
I have an extremely hard time believing that Richmond feels more like Minneapolis than Greensboro.
+1. Also not sure about Austinites sitting around in an f150 and throwing the empties in the back of a pickup

Old 02-16-2022, 05:54 AM

24,556 posts, read 18,239,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
+1. Also not sure about Austinites sitting around in an f150 and throwing the empties in the back of a pickup
+2

And you spelled Prius wrong.

Edited:

My life experience in Austin has been tech companies. It’s like anywhere else. Nobody in the office building is from the city. Lots of Asian/Indian and bright people from around the planet. The same life experience as Research Triangle Park or the Bay Area or Boston. I imagine state office workers and college students are predominantly Texan. I have no life experience with that slice of Austin. Most of the engineers in the development group I dealt with most recently were Chinese and Taiwanese. Former U of T computer science students somewhere on the spectrum of getting a green card to US citizen.

Last edited by GeoffD; 02-16-2022 at 06:12 AM..

Old 02-16-2022, 06:05 AM

4,379 posts, read 4,618,388 times
Richmond,VA easily. Austin area starts losing it's southern feel once you get pass Manor. Georgetown might be the closest burb in Austin that still resembles a southern Texan "charm" to it. Round Rock and Pflugerville just come off like typical anywhere suburbia especially with the amount of transplants there. And as far as the actual city? HA! The only constant southern thing about the city limits of Austin is the historically black communities still hanging in there. That's about it.

Old 02-16-2022, 06:22 AM

913 posts, read 560,292 times
The African-American population is about 30% of the Richmond MSA, and only about 8% of the Austin MSA, which is a Texan city but much less a culturally Southern city, with a Hispanic population of over 25%. Austin may not be El Paso, but it's not as culturally Southern as Richmond still is.

Old 02-16-2022, 07:06 AM

1,751 posts, read 1,682,715 times
Meh. Everywhere has been pretty much the same since the 90’s. These discussions tend to be pretty grasping.

Old 02-16-2022, 07:28 AM

12,823 posts, read 9,541,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
+2

And you spelled Prius wrong.

Edited:

My life experience in Austin has been tech companies. It’s like anywhere else. Nobody in the office building is from the city. Lots of Asian/Indian and bright people from around the planet. The same life experience as Research Triangle Park or the Bay Area or Boston. I imagine state office workers and college students are predominantly Texan. I have no life experience with that slice of Austin. Most of the engineers in the development group I dealt with most recently were Chinese and Taiwanese. Former U of T computer science students somewhere on the spectrum of getting a green card to US citizen.
One thing that did annoy me though, was OOS folks who said "Austin is the only place I'd live in Texas" or the "only bad thing about Austin is it's in Texas." Not cool at all. Austin is definitely a Texas city as well.

Old 02-16-2022, 08:12 AM

1,751 posts, read 1,682,715 times
And Austin is more libertarian (very Texan) than liberal. The hipsters there aren’t nearly as political as those in RVA.

Old 02-16-2022, 08:22 AM

1,801 posts, read 1,950,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencer114 View Post
Meh. Everywhere has been pretty much the same since the 90’s. These discussions tend to be pretty grasping.
Austin has certainly changed more since then, when it was more in the league of what a Huntsville or Knoxville is today.

Richmond has been more of a slow, steady growth, and its metro is better at preserving its southern history than Austin is, which was right on the frontier at the time of the Civil War anyways, so it never had that classical, "old South" feel that's common in even the eastern part of TX.

And as much as you could compare Richmond to DC/Baltimore (which are borderline Southern already), it could easily fit in with a Savannah or New Orleans. Main Street in Shockoe Bottom is no Bourbon St, but it has a bit of a similar setup to it. Those cities are dense for the Deep South and have similar urban desnity to Richmond.

Last edited by Borntoolate85; 02-16-2022 at 08:32 AM..

Old 02-16-2022, 08:29 AM

9,679 posts, read 9,380,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hipcat View Post
In a 2020's context. It's obvious both cities aren't stereotypically "Southern" in the way Atlanta, New Orleans, or Nashville is.

But the Austin metro area still loves country music like the rest of Texas and eats BBQ, while Richmond still has the classic Southern accent(in certain parts), still loves Iced Tea and NASCAR racing.

But both metro areas are becoming centers of migration(especially Austin) in the last 10 years that's changing the native culture of both areas.

So which peripheral urban Southern metro area has a stronger "Southern" cultural influence between two metro areas.
The premise of your assumptions is way off. Richmond was a capital of the Confederacy and home to many monuments and museums. Austin loves bbq and country western music. Both have noticeable southern dialect and accents. New Orleans is far from being a stereotypical southern city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City