Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2022, 09:03 AM

4,212 posts, read 3,297,443 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
What suburbs of very expensive cities are cheap? This doesn't apply in any US city that is really expensive.
Everything east and south of San Diego city, south off the coast of L.A. city, north suburb cities of L.A., probably plenty of other places too.

Old 02-18-2022, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DabOnEm View Post
Simple: Toronto is the premier city of a first world country and Chicago is not. This alone elevates Toronto over Chicago for housing prices before you even get to the other differences.
Would people in Montreal or Vancouver agree with this? Its the largest yes, but most desirable?

Old 02-18-2022, 09:17 AM

5,016 posts, read 3,918,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losfrisco View Post
Would people in Montreal or Vancouver agree with this? Its the largest yes, but most desirable?
I don't know, but it is certainly the Capital of modern Canada.

Toronto is NYC, Vancouver is San Francisco.

The funny thing is that American wages and GDP are significantly higher in these markets.

Living in Canada sounds downright difficult these days.

Old 02-18-2022, 09:18 AM

3,198 posts, read 2,658,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losfrisco View Post
For Canada, 110%. It's our "NYC" (people don't get triggered by this, it's just a reference point, not saying it is like NYC). 20% of the country's GDP is in that city, it's the most diverse city in the world, it's a global hub for finances, tech, media/entertainment, etc. Montreal is 2nd and Vancouver 3rd when it comes to immigration (MTL did not see a lot in 2021 due to covid + regressive political governments). All cities are amazing and punch above their weight, often looked over by people on forums since they are Canadian cities.

Old 02-18-2022, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv95 View Post
LOL Toronto's crime rate has skyrocketed recently. Still not nearly as bad as Chicago but let's not kid ourselves. It ain't Tokyo or Sydney.

But this news about prices isn't a shock to anyone with an IQ above room temp.
Sorry I'm not in the habit of checking Ontario real estate prices everyday.

And reading through the replies thus far, this discrepancy still really hasn't been explained.

Old 02-18-2022, 09:33 AM

6,741 posts, read 6,730,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djesus007 View Post
it's the most diverse city in the world
It's White-Asian diverse. It is far less diverse than NY, Boston, and many US cities that have much larger Latin and Black populations in addition to large Asian populations.

Old 02-18-2022, 09:50 AM

12,164 posts, read 8,010,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheseGoTo11 View Post
It's White-Asian diverse. It is far less diverse than NY, Boston, and many US cities that have much larger Latin and Black populations in addition to large Asian populations.
ditto.

Toronto isn't very diverse on a global forefront. Especially compared to US Cities.

Especially when large cities in the US are going at 27% White, 22% Hispanic, 25% Black, 15% Asian nowadays

Old 02-18-2022, 09:50 AM

10,066 posts, read 14,444,601 times
One factor, Toronto is THE preeminent largest city in Canada. Growing, desirable, international, cosmopolitan.

As NYC is to the United States, Toronto is to Canada. I think that's the biggest difference.

Chicago has a bit more crime than Toronto too, and I'd guess would not be an international person's first choice for the US, as say, Vancouver may not be the first choice for someone relocating to Canada.

Old 02-18-2022, 09:51 AM

12,164 posts, read 8,010,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
One factor, Toronto is THE preeminent largest city in Canada. Growing, desirable, international, cosmopolitan.

As NYC is to the United States, Toronto is to Canada. I think that's the biggest difference.

Chicago has a bit more crime than Toronto too, and I'd guess would not be an international person's first choice for the US, as say, Vancouver may not be the first choice for someone relocating to Canada.
But California cities like SF,and SJ are more desirable than NYC?

So Im a bit confused by your comparison from the start

Old 02-18-2022, 09:54 AM

10,066 posts, read 14,444,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
But California cities like SF,and SJ are more desirable than NYC?

So Im a bit confused by your comparison from the start
Well, it's subjective for sure, right? NYC is much larger than either, so I guess I'm saying the 22 million-ish metro of NYC is a US magnet for international growth just on a large global scale, and probably odds are that someone chooses NYC rather than CA cities.

I know it's super subjective and general, but that was my overall point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City