Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2022, 02:47 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,536,880 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
ditto.

Toronto isn't very diverse on a global forefront. Especially compared to US Cities.

Especially when large cities in the US are going at 27% White, 22% Hispanic, 25% Black, 15% Asian nowadays
Diversity shouldn't be measured by race.

27 percent white isn't diverse if all those white people came from the same country, but it would be very diverse if those white people came from 20 different countries.

Toronto, is one of the most diverse cities on the planet.

Old 02-19-2022, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
Yes they should. Toronto is the premier city of Canada the same way NYC is for the US. That doesnt mean most desirable to all, but it is their number one.

Vancouver's crazy cost of living isnt comparable to a place like SF or LA. It is extremely expensive to buy in Vancouver, but it is not expensive to rent. Most of the condos in Vancouver sit vacant must of the time. They are basically bank accounts for wealthy Chinese.
It's never been most.

There was an issue that was highlighted fairly dramatically in one new neighbourhood a few years back. Coal Harbour had many new towers which seemed to have many sitting empty.

Things have changed, as this article points out.

https://vancouversun.com/news/local-...ncouver-census

Old 02-19-2022, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Losfrisco View Post
Can't believe I missed this and that it took this long to come up. Different banking practices.
Very different.

"9,000 banks failed in the U.S. in the early 1930s "

"In Canada, where not a single bank failed, branching was the rule; in fact, Canada had only ten large banks during the 1930s "

https://seekingalpha.com/article/968...eat-depression

A much more concentrated banking system. Today we talk about the big 5, but there are also many credit unions.

Old 02-19-2022, 05:46 PM

6,725 posts, read 6,711,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
It's Kitchener, Ontario compared to New York, Miami, SF, LA, or Boston.

You can redefine "diversity" all you want, but having few Latinos and Blacks, which are nearly 1/2 of New York and many US cities, is a big difference. Large Sikh, Muslim, and Jewish communities are treated like something amazing in Canada, when they're common in many US cities.

Old 02-19-2022, 06:46 PM

12,157 posts, read 7,980,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Diversity shouldn't be measured by race.

27 percent white isn't diverse if all those white people came from the same country, but it would be very diverse if those white people came from 20 different countries.

To you, maybe.

To us, not so much. We see Toronto’s on the daily. I live in a suburb of NYC more diverse than Toronto.

Old 02-19-2022, 07:09 PM

4,211 posts, read 3,287,487 times
Quote:
To you, maybe.

To us, not so much. We see Toronto’s on the daily. I live in a suburb of NYC more diverse than Toronto.
Its true.

"Diversity" is more just branding in Canada, at least in comparison to the United States.

The neighborhood in San Diego I live in is frequently the butt of jokes for not being diverse enough, but if I close this laptop and walk a block and a half to get coffee I'll probably hear two or three languages spoken.

Old 02-19-2022, 10:08 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,673,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whereiend View Post
Eh I think in almost every city the suburbs are much cheaper, but it's in the form of "you get more for the money" rather than "you get the same for less".
Exactly, generally, suburbs offer more "bang for the buck".

Old 02-19-2022, 10:11 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,575,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
Exactly, generally, suburbs offer more "bang for the buck".
Unless the bang you seek is location!

Old 02-20-2022, 09:30 AM

26,874 posts, read 37,997,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losfrisco View Post
No doubt that Toronto has consolidated a lot of wealth and influence over the last few decades, but as far someone in Montreal or Vancouver saying "man I need to up my game to get to the big time in Toronto", I just can't get there.
I live in Quebec and you are correct. For better or for worse.

People are not dumb here and they know that Toronto is the biggest city in Canada, but in the mindspace of French-speaking Canada Montreal is the uncontested big city.

Where I am is right on the border with Ontario but in Quebec, and if say "la grande ville" or "la métropole" it's Montreal they are talking about here.

(You have a similar thing going on in Switzerland where Zürich is the biggest city in the country by a wide margin but for French speakers in that country "the big city" is Geneva.)

Upping your game or making it big in French Canada means going to Montreal. Beyond that, it's going to NYC (actually not much further from Montreal than Toronto) or somewhere like Paris.

That's not to say that there aren't Québécois people in Toronto. There are some. But nowhere near the number you'd expect for a population that makes up a quarter of the country. If you look at senior executive positions of major Canadian corporations based in Toronto, how many French-sounding names do you see?

Not many. And (at least today) it's not because of discrimination.

It's because for the most part francophones don't go to Toronto. They go to Montreal and stay there.

Old 02-20-2022, 12:08 PM

Quote:
To you, maybe.

"Toronto, with nearly half of its population born outside of Canada, is often referred to as the most multicultural city in the world, with over 200 ethnic groups and over 140 languages spoken. "

https://www.topics.plusrelocation.co...s-in-the-world

"The most diverse city in North America is not what you think it is…. Wanna take a guess? Nope. Not New York. Not San Francisco, Los Angeles, Miami, San Diego or anywhere in Texas. Read more to find out!"

https://www.thebossysauce.com/thebs/...-north-america

One can argue where Toronto should be placed on the list, but one can't argue that Toronto isn't diverse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City