Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2023, 09:22 AM

7,409 posts, read 6,545,347 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
Which cities pay Michelin and which cities are honored without needing to pay? I know NYC, DC, and Chicago don't pay Michelin. Are there any other's? Does Atlanta pay?
Yes, Atlanta paid along with Florida (Miami, Tampa, Orlando); Southern California; Toronto, Vancouver and others—including countries and cities in Asia and Middle East.

As stated previously in this thread, payment doesn’t guarantee a specific restaurant or number of restaurants within that city or country will be awarded stars. Restaurants within those cities/countries still have to meet Michelin criteria and earn it.

But earning a Michelin star is huge for restaurants – a 20% bump in business for receiving a star, 40% for two stars, and a doubling in business on average for three stars as Skift reports.”

https://viewfromthewing.com/shocking...ism-authority/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2023, 09:27 AM

36,653 posts, read 67,499,960 times
Quote:
Which cities pay Michelin and which cities are honored without needing to pay? I know NYC, DC, and Chicago don't pay Michelin. Are there any other's? Does Atlanta pay?
SF has never paid and does not pay Michelin. As if.

Remember they were reviewing SF before the rest of the state, and there were previous guides for LA and LV that didnt last because they didnt sell well, but I bet Las Vega would have many Michelin-starred restaurants today.

Old 10-26-2023, 09:38 AM

13,727 posts, read 15,748,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
SF has never paid and does not pay Michelin. As if.

Remember they were reviewing SF before the rest of the state, and there were previous guides for LA and LV that didnt last because they didnt sell well, but I bet Las Vega would have many Michelin-starred restaurants today.
Yeah, I know San Fran didn't pay historically, but California does now so I don't know how that impacts payment for San Fran. Obviously, San Fran would still have Michelin if California stopped paying.

The amount of restaurants with stars in all these markets that pay (Florida, Atlanta, California "outside of SF proper", and Colorado) actually says a lot about why they had to pay Michelin to come to their cities or states. None of those places produced many restaurants worth a Michelin star after their results were announced.

I think Michelin probably sends their inspectors to cities all over the world and knows which cities have enough quality restaurants to be added.

Old 10-26-2023, 09:41 AM

9,378 posts, read 9,329,574 times
Quote:
Yeah, I know San Fran didn't pay historically, but California does now so I don't know how that impact payment for San Fran. Obviously, SF would still have Michelin if California stopped paying.

The amount of restaurants with stars in all these markets that pay (Florida, California "outside of SF proper", and Colorado actually says a lot about why they had to pay Michelin to come to their cities or states. None of those places produced many restaurants worth a Michelin star after their results were announced.

I think Michelin probably sends their inspectors to cities all over the world and knows which cities have enough quality restaurants to be added.
Atlanta and Denver qualify but not Houston, Philadelphia, New Orleans, and Boston?.
Present day Michelin is incentivized (or whatever word you want to use) to evaluate a new city. Maybe it wasn't as much the case years ago for NYC, Chicago, DC, SF, but now it is, which is why the acclaim is losing points with me. And that isn't to say there aren't deserving restaurants in Atlanta or Denver, but the idea seems more about money versus food, at least when initially adding a city.

https://www.atlantamagazine.com/dini...e%20recognized.
Atlanta had to pay to bring Michelin to the city—to the tune of $1 million from the ACVB over three years, the Atlanta Business Chronicle reported.

Last edited by cpomp; 10-26-2023 at 09:51 AM..

Old 10-26-2023, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Yeah, I know San Fran didn't pay historically, but California does now so I don't know how that impacts payment for San Fran. Obviously, San Fran would still have Michelin if California stopped paying.

The amount of restaurants with stars in all these markets that pay (Florida, Atlanta, California "outside of SF proper", and Colorado) actually says a lot about why they had to pay Michelin to come to their cities or states. None of those places produced many restaurants worth a Michelin star after their results were announced.

I wouldn’t say Miami, as one example, didn’t have enough quality restaurants to earn stars. This was only the second year Michelin came to that city—infancy as far as Michelin ratings go. Fairly certain they will have quite a few more stars in another 10 or 20 years, as a few of the other non paying cities have had a much longer time to earn. Unrealistic to have expected 20-40 restaurants to have earned stars in just their first or second year. (Excluding Bib Gourmand)

Also has not stopped a Thomas Keller (who already has Miami’s only 2 star Michelin) from expanding his presence here or 3 star Michelin chef Massimo Bottura from coming here to open a restaurant in a few months (and, not to you, but to others who conflate a Keller or Bottura restaurant expansion with a Landry’s owned chain expansion there is quite a difference between the two nor are they to be confused for an airport Wolfgang Puck Cafe Express)

Will let others speak for different cities though I’ll ask the following—is San Diego’s 3 star Addison not worthy of it because SoCal visitors bureau paid to have its region open to ratings and only 5 restaurants in that city received a star??

Last edited by elchevere; 10-26-2023 at 10:18 AM..

Old 10-26-2023, 09:54 AM

13,727 posts, read 15,748,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
So Atlanta and Denver qualify but not Houston, Philadelphia, New Orleans, and Boston?...
It's not a secret that Michelin is incentivized (or whatever word you want to use) to evaluate a new city. Maybe it wasn't as much the case years ago for NYC, Chicago, DC, SF, but now it is.

https://www.atlantamagazine.com/dini...e%20recognized.

Atlanta had to pay to bring Michelin to the city—to the tune of $1 million from the ACVB over three years, the Atlanta Business Chronicle reported.
The results really prove why those markets had to pay. Even LA is 8 restaurants behind 4th place Chicago. On November 7th, NYC, DC, and Chicago are now part of an event together where new additions will be announced.

New York Will Share a Stage for 2023 Michelin Stars Ceremony

Current counts for 2023 are below:

Michelin Star Restaurants By City Proper

1. NYC = 70 restaurants with stars (300.46 sq miles)

2. San Francisco = 27 restaurants with stars (46.9 sq miles)

3. DC = 23 restaurants with stars (61.4 sq miles)

4. Chicago = 21 restaurants with stars (227.73 sq miles)

5. Los Angeles = 13 restaurants with stars (469.49 sq miles)

6. Miami = 8 restaurants with stars (36 sq miles)

7. Atlanta = 5 restaurants with stars (135.32 sq miles)

8. Orlando = 3 restaurants with stars (110.85 sq miles)

8. Tampa = 3 restaurants with stars (114.02 sq miles)

8. Denver = 3 restaurants with stars (153.07 sq miles)

8. San Diego = 3 restaurants with stars (372.42 sq miles)

#1 NYC Michelin Guide Map

#2 San Fran Michelin Guide Map

#3 DC Michelin Guide Map

#4 Chicago Michelin Guide Map

#5 LA Michelin Guide Map

#6 Miami Michelin Guide Map

#7 Atlanta Michelin Guide Map

#8 Orlando Michelin Guide Map

#8 Tampa Michelin Guide Map

#8 Denver Michelin Guide Map

#8 San Diego Michelin Guide Map

Last edited by MDAllstar; 10-26-2023 at 10:02 AM..

Old 10-26-2023, 11:21 AM

36,653 posts, read 67,499,960 times
Quote:
Well you just said it: Michelin would be reviewing the Bay Area whether the rest of the state was being reviewed or not.

Quote:

at very least, we see that they really do critique and dont just for money else these places would probably have way more starred restaurants--Toronto for example, you think would have way more given the sizew of the city and large number of cultured and sophisticated folks there.

Old 10-26-2023, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Well you just said it: Michelin would be reviewing the Bay Area whether the rest of the state was being reviewed or not.

at very least, we see that they really do critique and dont just for money else these places would probably have way more starred restaurants--Toronto for example, you think would have way more given the sizew of the city and large number of cultured and sophisticated folks there.
Yes…as I’ve stated paying for Michelin presence does not guarantee a certain number or certain restaurants will automatically get stars—they still need to earn it.

in the case of Toronto this is the second year (not 5th, 7th, 20th) Michelin rated that city. Like other first or second year cities new to this “game” the numbers will go up over time (not that 16 is awful, either)…did all 70 NYC and 27 SF Michelin restaurants currently ranked get their stars in the very first or second year??…I think D.C. started out with 12 starred restaurants in 2017 and is now up to 26. Give these “newcomer” cities time and more restaurants will get added most likely.

Last edited by elchevere; 10-26-2023 at 12:03 PM..

Old 10-27-2023, 12:07 PM

8,485 posts, read 14,993,141 times
Quote:
Kudos!

Atlanta's first Michelin Stars have been awarded!

One Star
Atlas
Bacchanalia
Hayakawa
Lazy Betty
Mujō

Bib Gourmand
Antico Pizza Napoletana
Arepa Mia
Banshee
Bomb Biscuit Co.
The Busy Bee
Estrellita
Fishmonger
Fred’s Meat and Bread
Heirloom Market
Little Bear

Green Star
Bacchanalia
The Chastain

https://www.atlantanewsfirst.com/202...ichelin-guide/
It's a good start, but there are a few restaurants on the recommended list that will have a star within a few years for sure. For example, Talat Market has some of the most exciting Thai food i've seen in a restaurant, and if I could marry Miller Union I would. For a few of them though it isn't so much the food is the issue, but other things like service impacts from being in a small space. A good chunk of the restaurants on the recommended list have that problem, but I suspect they'll get those things sorted out and elevate their food for the next consideration.

I know the thread has been talking about the payola that comes with becoming a Michelin city these days, but thems the stakes. As others have pointed out, that's the way that the door gets open and it's up to the restaurants to actually impress the reviewers. One thing that I found interesting in the lead up to this list was an interview with a reviewer I read that said basically that they expected one thing before coming to Atlanta and were blown away by the variety and quality. It's a reflection of just how far the food scene has come in this town, and the diverse cultures that have brought their crafts with them.

Old 11-02-2023, 12:44 PM

3,444 posts, read 3,371,174 times
Quote:
Well, we also need to remember that even among Michelin Starred restaurants, there is a hierarchy----a 3-star restaurant is described as worth a special journey, for heavens sakes lol

So when we count how many stars a city has it looks like this:
New York-------89 stars
San Francisco--43 stars
Los Angeles----29 stars
Chicago--------27 stars
Washington DC--26 stars
Toronto, ON----16 stars
Miami, FL------13 stars
Vancouver, BC---9 stars
San Diego, CA--7 stars
Atlanta, GA-----5 stars
Denver, CO------3 stars
Orlando, FL-----3 stars
Tampa, FL-------3 stars
Sacramento, CA--2 stars
Sacramento is one place I wouldn't expect to see a Michelin rated restaurant in. But what do I know? I just know to me I don't need a Michelin rating, to tell me a restaurant is good. Since to me I check online ratings, before I try eating anywhere.

It's weird places in Sacramento can get rated for Michelin, but not in say Boston, New Orleans or Dallas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City