Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2023, 09:29 AM

704 posts, read 444,379 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonta4 View Post
It’s the audience’s fault and the partially the fault of middle class black influencer culture. These restaurants should have never been recommended to Keith to being with but people put these places on a pedestal because they’re black celebrity owned. There’s a certain black bougie culture in Atlanta that patronizes places like these for the clout and social media attention.
I can't remember how many people have told me they want to go to Steak Market an overrated overpriced restaurant because it's been really popular on social media. This is over well known highly rated steak restaurants like Little Alley Steak and Marcels.

https://www.thisiswhyimsingle.com/tr...an-spends-700/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2023, 09:51 AM

13,727 posts, read 15,751,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganderTexan View Post
Keith Lee is turning the restaurant world upside down. Not sure there's been a more influential food critic in the last ten years.

https://nypost.com/2023/12/11/metro/...staurant-tour/

https://www.fox5ny.com/news/keith-le...ork-city-pizza
You should probably create a different thread for this. This thread is only for the most high-end chef driven Michelin rated restaurants.

Old 12-15-2023, 10:36 AM

14,166 posts, read 9,058,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
I did a bit of research when I found out the Philadelphia metro was getting a guide. There's two guides: green and red. Red is the more exclusive traditional dining guide. Green is a general travel guide.

Philadelphia's green guide is out already in France, but comes out in English in a few weeks. It calls Philadelphia the 'most French city in America' which I thought was funny because most people couldn't tell you where the designated French-Quarter is in Philadelphia. It will be interesting to see if restaurants get added next year
Following this post up again to note that there are also built-environment reasons for the Michelin Green Guide to have described Philadelphia that way.

Starting with the building at the Center City end of the Benjamin Franklin Parkway, Philadelphia City Hall, which is the largest French Second Empire building in the United States.

Then there is the Parkway itself, which was modeled on the Champs-Élysees in Paris.

Then there's the architect who designed it and several other notable Philadelphia structures, including the Benjamin Franklin Bridge and the former Federal Reserve Bank* in the 800 block of Walnut Street: Paul Philippe Cret, the French-born head of the University of Pennsylvania's architecture school for roughly the first half of the 20th century. Cret's influence was such that I referred to what was then the Graduate School of Fine Arts and is now the Weitzman School of Design as "the American École des Beaux-Arts" when promoting an exhibition of architectural drawings from the school's archives in Penn's staff newspaper back in the oughts.

BTW, this I didn't know, but maybe you did: Just as the red guides rate restaurants from one to three stars, the Green Guides also rate tourist attractions from one to three stars.

*Cret also designed the headquarters of the Federal Reserve System in Washington, DC.

Old 01-09-2024, 07:13 AM

9,379 posts, read 9,331,923 times
New article about the Michelin guide (all about money).
Philadelphia is a big omission, but perhaps will be added in the future, the culinary community is certainly motivated.

The article mentions that Boston was previously considered, but did not pay because Michelin would only showcase a small number of restaurants.

Why hasn’t the Michelin Guide come to rate Philadelphia restaurants?
https://www.inquirer.com/food/restau...-20240109.html

Last edited by cpomp; 01-09-2024 at 07:26 AM..

Old 01-09-2024, 10:52 AM

8,485 posts, read 14,994,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
You should probably create a different thread for this. This thread is only for the most high-end chef driven Michelin rated restaurants.
Right. I know for Atlanta he didn't visit any of the restaurants on the Michelin list and only went to somewhat trendy brunch places based on what was recommended to him on social media. Yeah, that's a recipe for disaster in any city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City