Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2022, 10:52 AM

4,211 posts, read 3,293,492 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
Austin based OJO Labs just came out with a study identifying the most and least affordable US cities.

Most Affordable:

1. Green Bay
2. Cleveland
3. Buffalo
4. Detroit
5. Pittsburgh
6. Hartford/New Haven
7. Grand Rapids
8. Ft Myers
9. Washington DC
10. Indianapolis

Least Affordable:

1. San Diego
2. SF
3. LA
4. Mobile/Pensacola
5. Boise
6. Miami/Ft Lauderdale
7. Las Vegas
8. Sacramento
9. NYC
10. Phoenix

Full report:

https://email.ojo.com/san-diego-pass...fordable-metro
San Diego put themselves in this situation by clinging to a small time attitude even as it became one of the largest cities. Now you have people down here scapegoating "remote workers" and "foreign investors", as if rising RE values in San Diego is some kind of unnatural, unpredictable phenomenon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2022, 11:14 AM

10,062 posts, read 14,434,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
scary to see how low those Miami wages are.
Right? I agree 100%.

I recruited tech/digital/creative professionals in the Miami market from 2016-2020, and Miami had one of the lowest salaries/hourly rates/day rates for that industry in the US. Despite housing costs soaring in that region.

I routinely spoke to all levels of talent in that niche who gave me stories of companies undercutting them big time with rates and salaries.

For example, I recall an Art Director with 15 years of experience telling me he routinely would see salaries in the $55-75k range or hourly rates up to like $35/hour with a variety of companies in Miami.

The same skill and years of experience Art Director could see $90-$110k in LA or Chicago, or $120-$150k in NYC or San Fran areas.

I've heard salaries are creeping up down there, but slowly.

Old 02-21-2022, 11:50 AM

7,409 posts, read 6,547,418 times
Some, not all, locals are taking it in the shorts and have been displaced by transplants. That started with the passage of the 2017 Tax Cut & Jobs Act which capped SALT and took off like rocket fuel beginning the end of 2020.

Those who have relocated here from other higher COL states with their jobs/incomes, companies or wealth have still benefited in terms of more bang for the buck real estate (comparable housing still costs less than NYC or CA cities, though the gap has narrowed, for often newer/less older buildings with more square footage and building amenities) and no state income tax. Worst case, some who have moved here had to take a 10% wage cut in the process that offsets most of the no state income tax benefit.

Low inventory at the moment is the driving factor of rising prices. Miami was one of the very first major cities to declare itself open while many other cities went into lockdown mode leading some to flee there for here. The return of international travel with wealthy foreigners looking to flee South America (Peru and Colombia most vulnerable these days) should keep this trend going.

It has always been, and remains, a better place for many to bring their wealth earned elsewhere--though there clearly are some successful homegrown locals and not all of them are W-2 reporting wage slaves working for corporations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
Right? I agree 100%.

I recruited tech/digital/creative professionals in the Miami market from 2016-2020, and Miami had one of the lowest salaries/hourly rates/day rates for that industry in the US. Despite housing costs soaring in that region.

I routinely spoke to all levels of talent in that niche who gave me stories of companies undercutting them big time with rates and salaries.

For example, I recall an Art Director with 15 years of experience telling me he routinely would see salaries in the $55-75k range or hourly rates up to like $35/hour with a variety of companies in Miami.

The same skill and years of experience Art Director could see $90-$110k in LA or Chicago, or $120-$150k in NYC or San Fran areas.

Last edited by elchevere; 02-21-2022 at 12:50 PM..

Old 02-21-2022, 11:59 AM

817 posts, read 627,318 times
Las Vegas least affordable now? sad. I thought it was the cheapest big city in America to live in

Old 02-21-2022, 12:47 PM

12,161 posts, read 8,002,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
Right? I agree 100%.

It will get there. Slowly. My field jobs pay $41k-65k in Miami compared to 72k-98k in NJ and 75k-110k+ in Boston as a Junior. I think thats a big setback for people taking Miami more seriously. I'm on the fringe with it. But a lot of people just completely write it off. I think wages are the last piece of the puzzle for Miami outside Climate Change control. Once they have that, they are golden.

Old 02-21-2022, 01:38 PM

1,802 posts, read 1,952,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NearFantastica View Post
Las Vegas least affordable now? sad. I thought it was the cheapest big city in America to live in
Even things like a $3.99 lunch buffets at the Sahara in the heart of the Strip back in the '90s are pretty much a thing of the past. "Cheap" buffets are in the $20s now. You don't get as many coupons (if you even do) at the big resorts as well, and then things like 3-2 Blackjack becoming 6-5. Entertainment for residency and touring acts, as seen on another thread, are the highest in the nation, making NYC/LA a bargain by comparison. The Californication of Vegas has been surreal over the past decade. Meanwhile, wage growth has really lagged.

Old 02-21-2022, 02:07 PM

2,387 posts, read 2,340,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbits View Post
At $60,966, the Miami metro actually had a higher per capita personal income than the Dallas, Houston and Atlanta metros in 2019, and was under $6,000 behind the Los Angeles metro. No state income tax also benefits Florida greatly, and it isn't even factored into these numbers yet.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List...ersonal_income
That's from trust fund babies and the self-made bringing their income to Miami. Good luck finding jobs that have higher wages than those 3 you mentioned.

Old 02-21-2022, 02:12 PM

133 posts, read 95,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
I think wages are the last piece of the puzzle for Miami outside Climate Change control. Once they have that, they are golden.

South Florida will start to catch up sooner than people realize, at this point the place is simply too unique to the first world to be underestimated. The brand image of Florida has shot up so high recently that it's just an exponentially growing phenomenon now. That's really all it comes down to at the end of the day

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

These numbers below were from one year 2019, even before the pandemic

Money is migrating into Florida at a rate the U.S. has never seen anything close to before

Can you imagine what these numbers look like now?

2019 - Before the pandemic wealth flood into South Florida, which is still occurring now faster than ever

(This is also just domestic wealth, South Florida has crazy international wealth migration too.)

--
*Annual net gross income gained from domestic migration 2019*
Can you imagine all the big bank accounts that have also migrated

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited by Harbits; 02-21-2022 at 03:41 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City