Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which Are Most Similar to Brooklyn, NY Downtown?
Boston 12 21.82%
Jersey City 19 34.55%
Philadelphia 32 58.18%
Pittsburgh 5 9.09%
Chicago 6 10.91%
Miami 1 1.82%
New Orleans 1 1.82%
Nashville 1 1.82%
Atlanta 1 1.82%
Minneapolis 3 5.45%
Houston 2 3.64%
Seattle 2 3.64%
San Francisco 5 9.09%
Los Angeles 3 5.45%
Denver 2 3.64%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2022, 08:16 AM

7,736 posts, read 5,513,631 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by That_One_Guy View Post
That stretch of Market street in Market East, Philly always reminded me of Fulton mall in DTBK.

I can see the Fulton Street / East Market comparisons. Both areas went through some serious gentrification over the last decade or so that has pushed a lot of that gold store/pawn shop retail else where. Brooklyn's borough hall is also done in the second empire style. The Metrotech buildings and the Logan Square buildings do have a pretty similar history as well. What downtown Brooklyn doesn't have is the cultural institutions and historical sites that come along with being the epicenter of an entire region like Center City is to Philadelphia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2022, 10:59 AM

37,130 posts, read 39,371,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
I can see the Fulton Street / East Market comparisons. Both areas went through some serious gentrification over the last decade or so that has pushed a lot of that gold store/pawn shop retail else where. Brooklyn's borough hall is also done in the second empire style. The Metrotech buildings and the Logan Square buildings do have a pretty similar history as well. What downtown Brooklyn doesn't have is the cultural institutions and historical sites that come along with being the epicenter of an entire region like Center City is to Philadelphia.

downtown Brooklyn doesn't have quite the depth or breadth of cultural institutions as Center City, but they do have some in the greater downtown area. The heavier hitters are the New York Transit museum (in a former station), Brooklyn Academy of Music, Barclays Center, BRIC, Mark Morris Dance Center, and Polonsky Shakespeare Theatre. Not too far away, but not downtown Brooklyn are St. Ann's Warehouse, the Brooklyn Museum, and the Brooklyn Public Library's Central Library.

Old 03-10-2022, 11:19 AM

14,165 posts, read 9,054,479 times
Quote:
Actually, Brooklyn Borough Hall is Greek Revival, not Second Empire, though that cupola on top does have a bit of Second Empire about it. Wonder if it was added later?

Old 03-10-2022, 01:09 PM

7,736 posts, read 5,513,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
downtown Brooklyn doesn't have quite the depth or breadth of cultural institutions as Center City, but they do have some in the greater downtown area. The heavier hitters are the New York Transit museum (in a former station), Brooklyn Academy of Music, Barclays Center, BRIC, Mark Morris Dance Center, and Polonsky Shakespeare Theatre. Not too far away, but not downtown Brooklyn are St. Ann's Warehouse, the Brooklyn Museum, and the Brooklyn Public Library's Central Library.

No doubt. All of those places are great cultural amenities, but you aren't really going to find them on lists like "the best museum collections" in the US. Most of the treasures New Yorkers plundered from other cultures are located in Museums across the river in Manhattan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
Actually, Brooklyn Borough Hall is Greek Revival, not Second Empire, though that cupola on top does have a bit of Second Empire about it. Wonder if it was added later?

Your right. I actually was getting two buildings confused with each other. I was thinking of the grand old post office that is like down the block from the borough hall.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federa...fice_(Brooklyn)

Which again, I guess I was wrong because it says Romanesque but to me it looks Second Empire.

Last edited by thedirtypirate; 03-10-2022 at 01:27 PM..

Old 03-10-2022, 03:07 PM

14,165 posts, read 9,054,479 times
Quote:
No doubt. All of those places are great cultural amenities, but you aren't really going to find them on lists like "the best museum collections" in the US. Most of the treasures New Yorkers plundered from other cultures are located in Museums across the river in Manhattan.

Your right. I actually was getting two buildings confused with each other. I was thinking of the grand old post office that is like down the block from the borough hall.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federa...fice_(Brooklyn)

Which again, I guess I was wrong because it says Romanesque but to me it looks Second Empire.
Looks to me more Romanesque too, but I can see where you would get Second Empire out of it.

Old 08-23-2022, 08:53 AM

5,462 posts, read 5,706,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
I was actually thinking the same thing this weekend. There aren't a ton of updated downtown Brooklyn pictures from the last 2 or 3 years, partly because the skyline has grown and changed so fast.
I like this recent pic of a part of downtown Brooklyn, it may be 'edge on', so it obscures a bunch of towers, but from aesthetic standpoint it looks pretty cool:

Viktor Kelemen

Old 08-23-2022, 10:26 AM

10,062 posts, read 14,430,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
I like this recent pic of a part of downtown Brooklyn, it may be 'edge on', so it obscures a bunch of towers, but from aesthetic standpoint it looks pretty cool:
That shot is incredible! Downtown Brooklyn is rapidly becoming a top 20 "best downtown" in the US. It has the foot traffic, vibrancy, and development to go head to head with most larger city downtowns.

There are currently several more skycrapers under construction, the tallest and most notable is the 600 foot high residential tower on Fulton Street.

The first phase of the proposed "Alloy Block" is under construction now as well, and this first phase will be 400 feet. The second phase will have a tower at 840 feet high.

https://www.thealloyblock.com/

Downtown Brooklyn's new development is pretty exciting.

Old 08-23-2022, 12:31 PM

33 posts, read 24,704 times
New York in general is just on a whole nother level compared to every other American city. That pic of downtown Brooklyn is crazy, looks better than almost every sunbelt downtown.

Old 08-23-2022, 12:58 PM

4,177 posts, read 2,956,710 times
Downtown Pittsburgh (pre covid) has the foot traffic, varied architecture and water settings to compete with all of the cities listed listed.

Old 08-23-2022, 01:09 PM

4,159 posts, read 2,846,281 times
Brooklyn is massive and dense. I’m not sure what it’s peer would be except maybe San Francisco. Though really it’s probably closest peer is Manhattan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City